Everything (2016-2017) Regular Season Game Threads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
    Last night kenny the paper airplane smith called Boston "the 2nd best team in the east with the 2nd best player in the east"
    Neither statement is unreasonable. They have the second best record and Thomas is having a spectacular season.

We'll see if he can keep it up in the playoffs.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
      Neither statement is unreasonable. They have the second best record and Thomas is having a spectacular season.

We'll see if he can keep it up in the playoffs.
      Thomas is a horrible defender. I hate that people ignore that like its not important
      9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Thomas is a horrible defender. I hate that people ignore that like its not important
        I think defense gets overlooked by a lot of 'analysts'. It's why DD was listed in early MVP discussions instead of Lowry.. and why he got voted in as a starter over Lowry despite Lowry being the real engine of this team.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
          I think defense gets overlooked by a lot of 'analysts'. It's why DD was listed in early MVP discussions instead of Lowry.. and why he got voted in as a starter over Lowry despite Lowry being the real engine of this team.
          Thats a bit different imo, DD did score 30+ points 5 straight games to start the season, only other player to do that was Jordan I believe. Kind of hard not to put him in the MVP discussion at that point.

As for Isaiah, he is a great player, but not the second best player in the East, and the Celtics are second seed, but the 4th best team behind Cavs, Raptors and Wizards, just because those 4 teams have better overall talent and depth.

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post
            Thats a bit different imo, DD did score 30+ points 5 straight games to start the season, only other player to do that was Jordan I believe. Kind of hard not to put him in the MVP discussion at that point.

As for Isaiah, he is a great player, but not the second best player in the East, and the Celtics are second seed, but the 4th best team behind Cavs, Raptors and Wizards, just because those 4 teams have better overall talent and depth.
            And Lowry was shooting the 3 ball like Curry was last year (who also won the MVP unanimously by the way). My point is that defense is over looked by the majority of analysts or fans out there.. it's why IT is in that discussion.

Personally I think the Celtics are just as good as the Cavs, Raptors and Wizards. I don't like them but they don't get much respect around here. They have a very young team but still found a way to win.. and will probably take the Atlantic division.

Comment

And Lowry was shooting the 3 ball like Curry was last year (who also won the MVP unanimously by the way). My point is that defense is over looked by the majority of analysts or fans out there.. it's why IT is in that discussion.

Personally I think the Celtics are just as good as the Cavs, Raptors and Wizards. I don't like them but they don't get much respect around here. They have a very young team but still found a way to win.. and will probably take the Atlantic division.
              The Celtics are great against shit teams and shit against good teams. They got lucky getting Cleveland and the Warriors when they hit their slumps.

Literally no one on the Celtics scares me, including IT because I think the Raptors showed you can slow him down by being physical with him and cranking up the pressure. Which is exactly what teams will do with him, especially when you can get away with being more physical in the playoffs.
              Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
              Because its 2015

Comment

A lot (majority?) of American media think Demar is our best player and Kyle is the sidekick. That's how little they know.
                9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
                  The Celtics are great against shit teams and shit against good teams. They got lucky getting Cleveland and the Warriors when they hit their slumps.

Literally no one on the Celtics scares me, including IT because I think the Raptors showed you can slow him down by being physical with him and cranking up the pressure. Which is exactly what teams will do with him, especially when you can get away with being more physical in the playoffs.
                  Sure.. but Raptors played them without Bradley who could help lock down DeMar (or Lowry) as well. Their offense revolves around IT, but at the end of the day their role players do show up. And not beating the great teams.. that's the Raptors MO.

Who have the Raptors beaten that were so great?

Comment

Sure.. but Raptors played them without Bradley who could help lock down DeMar (or Lowry) as well. Their offense revolves around IT, but at the end of the day their role players do show up. And not beating the great teams.. that's the Raptors MO.

Well, by your comments, the Raptors' record against teams like BOS and WAS should be pretty impressive, if you think they are on the same level as the Cavs.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

I disagree, not because I don't like them or respect, but just from what I have seen and based on their roster. They have Isaiah, who is great, but no second star player who can carry the team consistently if Isaiah is struggling, Horford gets his points, but regressed from previous seasons and Bradley is more of a complimentary player than a secondary star. If you can contain Isaiah like the Raptors did in the game after the All-star break, Celtics' offense basically stops. The other 3 teams have at minimum a big 2 + solid complimentary players. Cavs have their big 3 of course, Raptors have Lowry, Derozan, JV and even Ibaka occasionally who you can rely on to carry the offense, and then Wizards have Wall and Beal and Porter, who is the most efficient 3 pt shooter in the league. Morris and Gortat aren't bad either.

Also Isaiah doesn't seem to like physicality, he wanted none of Tucker when Tucker was guarding him, doesn't bode well for him in the Playoffs.
                      Last edited by A.I; Fri Mar 10, 2017, 04:22 PM.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                        Well, by your comments, the Raptors' record against teams like BOS and WAS should be pretty impressive, if you think they are on the same level as the Cavs.
                        Yeah.. those were quality wins. Maybe not the first Washington win since they were struggling and playing like a lottery team early in the year. The Utah wins and the win against Houston were also good.

Comment

Avery Bradley excuses after the last game, the Celtics' problem with the Raptors is they can't stop DeRozan or Lowry, no matter who they throw at them.

DeMar is averaging 36 ppg vs. Boston this year, 23 ppg last year, 30 ppg the year before... Boston can't stop him, and when the Raptors are healthy Bradley is assigned to Lowry and DeRozan gets Jae Crowder anyway. Avery Bradley missing last game didn't mean anything.

Edit: Raptors have beaten all the quality teams save for GSW/CLE/SAS, the three best teams in the league. So whatever that means, personally regular season vs. teams like that doesn't matter much to me, they are going to be completely different opponents in the playoffs. Raptors played the Cavs alright last year, then when business time came in the playoffs we all know who the daddy was.

Also importantly, Raptors have looked good against BOS/WAS/ATL, the three teams in the East they should be better than. Cleveland always was going to be a stretch, will take a perfect storm of circumstances for the Raptors to win a round against them.
                          Last edited by S.R.; Fri Mar 10, 2017, 04:30 PM.
                          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

A lot (majority?) of American media think Demar is our best player and Kyle is the sidekick. That's how little they know.
                            Agreed. Derozan is good, but Lowry is the leader and the heart and soul of this team.

Comment

I disagree, not because I don't like them or respect, but just from what I have seen and based on their roster. They have Isaiah, who is great, but no second star player who can carry the team consistently if Isaiah is struggling, Horford gets his points, but regressed from previous seasons. If you can contain Isaiah like the Raptors did in the game after the All-star break, Celtics' offense basically stops. The other 3 teams have at minimum a big 2 + solid complimentary players. Cavs have their big 3 of course, Raptors have Lowry, Derozan, JV and even Ibaka occasionally who you can rely on to carry the offense, and then Wizards have Wall and Beal and Porter, who is the most efficient 3 pt shooter in the league. Morris and Gortat aren't bad either.

Also Isaiah doesn't seem to like physicality, he wanted none of Tucker when Tucker was guarding him, doesn't bode well for him in the Playoffs.
                              After IT they have Bradley, Horford and Crowder.. all capable of scoring 15-20ppg. Amir, Olynyk and Smart aren't bad either. They do have the 8th best offense in the league.

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                                Avery Bradley excuses after the last game, the Celtics' problem with the Raptors is they can't stop DeRozan or Lowry, no matter who they throw at them.

DeMar is averaging 36 ppg vs. Boston this year, 23 ppg last year, 30 ppg the year before... Boston can't stop him, and when the Raptors are healthy Bradley is assigned to Lowry and DeRozan gets Jae Crowder anyway. Avery Bradley missing last game didn't mean anything.
                                Also Lowry was missing for that last Boston game. Are we really comparing Avery Bradley to Kyle Lowry here? Didn't Demar drop like 30+ on them earlier in the year when they had Bradley anyway?

Comment

Working...
                                X