Everything Jakob Poeltl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ogi wrote: View Post
    This place gets super negative when we're losing and the conversation always ends up in the same place. That's at least why I've been away recently.
    Negativity is what most sports forums thrive on (unfortunately).

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
      This guy is going to be really good.
      Anyone you care to compare him to? Hakeem, Rick Smits?

Comment

LJ2 wrote: View Post
        Better defender/more athletic version of Chri s Kaman.
        Mamba Mentality

Comment

Duncan - far less imposing on both ends (as a rookie anyway), but the combo of fast feet and fundamentals at 7 feet, and being a great athlete without jumping out the gym.
          Last edited by SkywalkerAC; Sat Mar 25, 2017, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Love Jakob's quick release off the catch - the insta-baby hook or right into stride for the layup - always keeping the ball high.

Last edited by SkywalkerAC; Sun Mar 26, 2017, 04:12 PM.

Comment

SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
              Duncan - far less imposing on both ends (as a rookie anyway), but the combo of fast feet and fundamentals at 7 feet, and being a great athlete without jumping out the gym.
              yikes. "far less imposing" is being generous lmao.

Comment

anyways we've once again got a mobile energetic 7 footer. this time lets not put him on the "rudy gay is a PF" muscle plan at age 21.

Comment

KHD wrote: View Post
                  anyways we've once again got a mobile energetic 7 footer. this time lets not put him on the "rudy gay is a PF" muscle plan at age 21.
                  the iq and vision is much higher and perhaps the coordination and athleticism is slightly higher as well. i still question his weight and toughness but he has the frame to add muscle, unlike bebe. hes a good fit bc hes a good defender and doesnt need the ball to be effective on offense. i do prefer that bebe can play above the rim but getting a bit greedy to check all the boxes.

Comment

he has a excellent basketball mind he gets his rebounds by anticipation of were to be very high Iq player and if Jamal say he is a tough kid I believe he will be sucessful

Comment

At this point he reminds me of Todd Macculloch but I think he will be better then him.

Comment

Been a while since I've watched some Grizzlies highlights, but was thinking Bryant 'Big Country ' Reeves

Comment

Ebonhawke wrote: View Post
                          Been a while since I've watched some Grizzlies highlights, but was thinking Bryant 'Big Country ' Reeves
                          Just no!

Comment

KHD wrote: View Post
                            yikes. "far less imposing" is being generous lmao.
                            "Poor man's" goes without saying. It's just when I draw the comparison in my mind Duncan is the far more intimidating force despite being a "power forward" whereas Jakob is a "center". Their frames aren't actually that dissimilar, though I assume Timmy is a tad longer, and he basically had all of his old-man strength even as a rookie. Poeltl has some work to do on that front.

However, both guys strike me as exceptional at keeping everything up high on both ends - allowing them to block shots and get shots off extremely quickly, but without really jumping. I'd credit this to Poeltl's volleyball background and Duncan's to his swimming, but what do I know.

Bottomline, fleet-footed fundamentally sound 7-footers (that aren't gazelle-like perimeter bgman savants like AD or KAT) should get compared to Duncan - he's the archetype. Maybe JP can pick up an unstoppable but methodical offensive game from DeMar to get within sniffing distance of big Tim.
                            Last edited by SkywalkerAC; Sun Mar 26, 2017, 10:52 PM.

Comment

SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                              "Poor man's" goes without saying. It's just when I draw the comparison in my mind Duncan is the far more intimidating force despite being a "power forward" whereas Jakob is a "center". Their frames aren't actually that dissimilar, though I assume Timmy is a tad longer, and he basically had all of his old-man strength even as a rookie. Poeltl has some work to do on that front.

However, both guys strike me as exceptional at keeping everything up high on both ends - allowing them to block shots and get shots off extremely quickly, but without really jumping. I'd credit this to Poeltl's volleyball background and Duncan's to his swimming, but what do I know.

Bottomline, fleet-footed fundamentally sound 7-footers (that aren't gazelle-like perimeter bgman savants like AD or KAT) should get compared to Duncan - he's the archetype. Maybe JP can pick up an unstoppable but methodical offensive game from DeMar to get within sniffing distance of big Tim.
                              It's one thing to want to mold a player in the "archetype" of a Tim Duncan, it's another to compare them.

Yak isn't even remotely as strong or anywhere near the anchor OR rebounder Tim was in coming and throughout his career. Besides being a million times more fundamentally sound at nearly everything and better shooter (was a crazy bank shooter before). That's just a MASSIVE difference in ability. A rookie Duncan would not be struggling to find some minutes in rotation, while I understand a rookie Duncan was also older by a couple of years, I don't see Jakob being the main reason a team wins a championship at the same age Duncan was.

Comparisons are usually drawn between players that people think have very similar games or like potentials ie/ Kobe being compared to Jordan. While Kobe may fall short, there's a reason he was being compared. When discussing, Poeltl and Duncan....there is NO comparison there. There is only a mold that we can hope to try to have Yak mold his game after. To me those are 2 very different statements and maybe that's all you meant by it but I just feel "comparison" is the wrong word to describe that.

Comment

JamesNaismith wrote: View Post
                                It's one thing to want to mold a player in the "archetype" of a Tim Duncan, it's another to compare them.

Yak isn't even remotely as strong or anywhere near the anchor OR rebounder Tim was in coming and throughout his career. Besides being a million times more fundamentally sound at nearly everything and better shooter (was a crazy bank shooter before). That's just a MASSIVE difference in ability. A rookie Duncan would not be struggling to find some minutes in rotation, while I understand a rookie Duncan was also older by a couple of years, I don't see Jakob being the main reason a team wins a championship at the same age Duncan was.

Comparisons are usually drawn between players that people think have very similar games or like potentials ie/ Kobe being compared to Jordan. While Kobe may fall short, there's a reason he was being compared. When discussing, Poeltl and Duncan....there is NO comparison there. There is only a mold that we can hope to try to have Yak mold his game after. To me those are 2 very different statements and maybe that's all you meant by it but I just feel "comparison" is the wrong word to describe that.
                                I'm sorry but no, this is how poor-man's comparisons work - being not comparisons of greatness but of minor aspects.
                                Last edited by SkywalkerAC; Sun Mar 26, 2017, 11:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X