Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"The Raptors Are Good, but They Might Have to Blow It Up to Be Great" - The Ringer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If we blew it up, Karma would fuck us. We will not be better than we are now anytime soon if we blew it up.
    You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

Oh please. Rebuilding right now might be the wrong call, but to frame the rebuilding argument as one made by people who have no business experience is a joke. The most successful businesses are run by people with a long-term vision, and sometimes sacrificing short-term gains​ for long-term success is a good strategy.
      Why is it a joke? All teams eventually need to rebuild as it's part of the life cycle of any sports team (at least in the North American context) but is rebooting a successful team in the midst of unparalleled organizational success really a serious argument being made by people who own and run sports teams? More importantly, is it actually being done by anyone? Could there possibly be a reason for this? Kevin O'Connor is clearly a very bright guy and good basketball writer but, and he even implicitly acknowledges this in the article, it's one thing to argue for that course of action as an academic matter and another one entirely to actually undertake it in the real world.

As to the second part, is the choice really to sacrifice short-term gains for long-term success or is it to sacrifice short term success for long term instability and uncertainty? You are correct that many successful businesses are run by people with a long term vision but it is also true that many failed companies are run by people with long term visions who can't, or won't, change direction when opportunities present themselves and, instead, insist on a failing master plan.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
        Why is it a joke? All teams eventually need to rebuild as it's part of the life cycle of any sports team (at least in the North American context) but is rebooting a successful team in the midst of unparalleled organizational success really a serious argument being made by people who own and run sports teams? More importantly, is it actually being done by anyone? Could there possibly be a reason for this? Kevin O'Connor is clearly a very bright guy and good basketball writer but, and he even implicitly acknowledges this in the article, it's one thing to argue for that course of action as an academic matter and another one entirely to actually undertake it in the real world.

As to the second part, is the choice really to sacrifice short-term gains for long-term success or is it to sacrifice short term success for long term instability and uncertainty? You are correct that many successful businesses are run by people with a long term vision but it is also true that many failed companies are run by people with long term visions who can't, or won't, change direction when opportunities present themselves and, instead, insist on a failing master plan.
        I am not talking about specifically blowing it up right now. I can't stand Kevin O'Connor or the Ringer, and I think blowing it up right now would be dumb. I am talking about the fact that every time rebuilding is brought up, you frame it as "almost always" "by and large" an argument of people without business experience. Which I think is an unfair ad hominem.

It's as equally a rigid mindset as sticking to a failing master plan.

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
          Nope, it's simply devils advocate on an approach if we're serious about winning titles. The writer of the article had an interesting response in the comments to someone who said "this is stupid, so everyone who isn't cavs or warriors should blow it up"

I'm not saying I agree with it, but we truly are in a unique nba position. Tough to say if we're "between a rock and a hard place", or if we're in a great, enviable position. Or are we somehow both at the same time?
          Whoever wrote this forgot to mention that Raps have one of the youngest rosters in league. If Beal is a star than what in the world is Deebo

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Blowing it up makes no sense. Retooling, however.... I can see us doing something along those lines if needed. That doesn't just include roster players though. A coaching change can do a lot to help a team alone. A new system, new rotations, maybe a trade or two to help us keep depth, etc. We have the keys in the ignition right now, and a 2-3 year window is better than nothing. This Raptor team has what it takes, they just need things to fall into place.
            Axel wrote:
            Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
            KeonClark wrote:
            We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
            KeonClark wrote:
            I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

I think our window could be longer than some think here. I think it could be longer even than Lowry's next contract. I understand the premise of the article, in fact, I've voiced a similar approach on here before. And that was when I thought LBJ would be unbeatable for the foreseeable future, but that doesn't seem to be the case right now. And I've also suggested before that we could be setting ourselves to be a very good team for a very long time, and that is the more attractive scenario in my mind. Lowry is the main force that will enable us to contend for the next 2-3 years, but smart moves and patience can help us remain in the conversation for years after. No need to think we need to hit the lottery in order to find our next Lowry IMO.

Blowing it up, regardless, of this playoffs outcome, would be a drastic measure. We have a solid team, one of the best in the league if healthy without a doubt. We have good young players, all our picks, and most guys that come here prove to be assets. Carroll might be the lone argument against, but you have to admit that injuries may be the main reason for that. Sully, too, but even he ultimately helped us get Tucker. In any event, I see no reason to think we can't be in just as good a position when LBJ's dominance subsists (if it hasn't already) than we are now. We don't need to follow the boom or bust cycle typical of most teams, and honestly, I think that is what MU and MLSE would prefer.

Comment

OR....

They could re-sign all of Lowry, Ibaka and Tucker....go into tax then use JV + CoJo + several picks to try and bring in another star and be great!

#MASAIMAKINGRAPSGREATAGAIN #ORFIRSTTIME

Comment

JamesNaismith wrote: View Post
                  OR....

They could re-sign all of Lowry, Ibaka and Tucker....go into tax then use JV + CoJo + several picks to try and bring in another star and be great!

#MASAIMAKINGRAPSGREATAGAIN #ORFIRSTTIME
                  Outspending the competition, whether they trade like that or not, is a valid but very expensive strategy.

Comment

We're playing pretty well without Kyle, and we all know how much of a lift we'll get if he can round back into form. We know that we're not outmatched against Boston and Washington, and Cleveland is playing probably its worst basketball it has since LeBron came back. I'd say our chance of a Finals trip is definitely there, and if we can pull that off who knows what that could lead to in the Finals, the summer and beyond.
                    The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                      I don't really agree with this. Especially after the playoffs JV just had.

I gathered that he just wanted the BPA. And that was Poeltl. It was an analytically driven draft pick. He picked the guy he wanted at 27 and the guy that the computer thought was the best available at 9.
                      That's my impression as well. The top 8 was considered the high ceiling guys (maybe not hield) and yak was high floor. At least that was the accepted projections at the time.

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
                        I am not talking about specifically blowing it up right now. I can't stand Kevin O'Connor or the Ringer, and I think blowing it up right now would be dumb. I am talking about the fact that every time rebuilding is brought up, you frame it as "almost always" "by and large" an argument of people without business experience. Which I think is an unfair ad hominem.

It's as equally a rigid mindset as sticking to a failing master plan.
                        Oh, it's a Kevin O'Connor article! I'm assuming he's just trolling us so the Celts don't get spanked anymore.

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
                          This team proved capable of a top 5 offence already this year, now they look to have the personnel for a top 5 defence. Any time you can be top 5 at both ends of the floor, fuck the conventional superstar wisdom, that is a talented team that has as reasonable a shot as anybody, better than many teams who have managed to land their franchise superstar guy.

Basically this team has continued to improve and defy expectations ever since Dolan blocked the Lowry trade. Ujiri has done the right thing in riding it out and working with it to see how far it'll go, and that's still the right thing to do.
                          Am I unreasonably excited to see what damage this squad + Kyle Lowry can do? Maybe I'm crazy, but I think we should be able to compete with anyone. Defense was always the big question, and we've addressed that in a big way.

Comment

CNinja26 wrote: View Post
                            Am I unreasonably excited to see what damage this squad + Kyle Lowry can do? Maybe I'm crazy, but I think we should be able to compete with anyone. Defense was always the big question, and we've addressed that in a big way.
                            Definitely exciting to see how good this team can be with a healthy Lowry, that is in game shape. That team has a chance against the Cav's. If Lowry doesn't come back well enough to shoot with his usual consistency then I am concerned about our offence. It's a bit more fragile than what our record would indicate during this post All Star stretch.

Comment

This team keeps growing in so many ways.
                              The blow it up is crazy talk.
                              As far as the young players we have all have the right demeanor and are smashing their lessons with brotherly comradery in a winning environment.
                              Masai is going to continue to masterfully manage assets.
                              To not see where this can go would be silly.
                              If we can move up by moving Joseph/Carroll with our pick . Great. Or Paul George.
                              Turning Carroll into Paul George would be great.

Comment

Tbh I find the idea at this point to just be ridiculous.

This is by far the closest this franchise has come to creating a contender.

There is little to no chance they abandon that unless one of Lowry or DeMar (knock on wood) had a horrible injury this year. This is probably the closest all of Masai, Casey and the players have felt to being an elite team and what we have spent YEARS building towards. There's no way that we abandon that when you can just feel we are like an inch (player) away from entering true contender status.

The re-vamped core is now Lowry, DeRozan, Tucker and Ibaka

We have Corey, JV, Powell, Delon, Poeltl and we could use our 1sts all as desirable pieces to bring in that final "star" player. Does anyone think that Masai isn't aware of that?! We just seen what we got Ibaka for, what NOP got DMC for....surely we can find one more really good player out there.

There are a list of teams that need to face the reality of a rebuild ie/ MEM (Gasol), ATL (Sap, not so high on after injury), IND (PG but BOS will likely offer more), CHI (ditto IND) and DET (Drummond). Surely one of those teams and their players could get us over the hump. I mean Gasol like Millsap carries MEM, probably even more so and imagine adding his 3pt shooting and talent here in addition to what we have...and these are just the teams that I think are forced to face reality. There will be others that just may not be sold on a particular player on their roster. Either way it's just seems foolish to even think that we're considering blowing it up.

Personally I'm betting that we will re-sign our guys and use some combination of what I listed to bring in Gasol (who Masai was previously rumoured to have wanted) or Millsap in a S&T to make that final push.
                                Last edited by JamesNaismith; Tue Mar 28, 2017, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X