Everything (2016-2017) Regular Season Game Threads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• golden wrote: View Post
    If this was the 2013-14 team, then I'd fully agree that Lowry & DD probably need to carry the offense mostly by themselves. But this version of the Raps might be the deepest team in the NBA. Lowry & DD don't need to conserve their energy on D for offense. They could decide to pass the ball around and run plays for talented role players. This team has offensive options and it's Lowry & DD's choice to play this way. Spread the ball around on offense and play harder perimeter D is also a readily available option, that doesn't require trades. Just a change in attitude and trust.

In fact, the "role players" already proved irrefutably that they can bail out historically bad offense from Lowry & DD in the playoffs, when it counts, against a tough defensive team. And it wasn't just because of Biz - the first round was won more because of JV and even CoJo. Biz emerged when JV went down.
    I think we overate our role players to the max around here.

This team is where its at because of Kyle Lowry and Demar Derozan period. Look what happens when any one of the role players (except Patterson, because he's the best all around Big on the team) are out. Remember when JV went down for a whole bunch of games last year? We didn't even skip a beat...this without a backup C to help Biz. This team is more than fine and if you want to say that we can't find replacements for these guys or if we can't win without either of them....then go ahead.

I find our role players are very inconsistent. I don't trust them to show up in very big games to be honest. If you do....then great.

In theory, playing like Atlanta feels good and all, but we always beat them the way we play. So i'm tired of hearing the "share the ball around and let anyone take a shot BS." You win with stars in this league.

I admit KL and DD had a really really really rough playoffs in the first two rounds and we almost lost both series because of it. I very much doubt that will ever happen again, now that they have the monkey off their backs.

I still believe that you want the ball in the hands of your all-stars and let them create or take that shot.

Comment

• Kyle's elbow was a factor in the first rd iirc.

Comment

• This makes the celtics game a lot easier. We have to win this game Bradley is arguably been their 2nd best player this year.

Comment

• Joey save us
          OG is our king

Comment

• slamdunk23 wrote: View Post

This makes the celtics game a lot easier. We have to win this game Bradley is arguably been their 2nd best player this year.
            Demar should have a high scoring game with Bradley out.

Comment

• special1 wrote: View Post
              So you honestly think that JV's defense is good enough as is? How would that solve our defensive issues? Wouldn't they still need to work to get the ball inside to JV? Or are you expecting him to ISO every time? Do we not need a mobile rim protector that can actually rebound? I still don't see how this actually fixes our defensive issues....I guess it would make you feel better.

I'd rather not take anything away from our all-stars.....let's just get better fit around them. I think that is the better path. I honestly would rather the ball in the hands of our all-stars as much as possible.....The same way other teams want their all-stars making the decisions at crunch time.
              Lol wow. You just said that two perimeter players are playing bad defensively because of their usage. Two players that earn the most minutes on the team. Why are you going back to JV's D? How much work does it require to pass it off to another guy when he establishes position and let him attempt a shot? (Maybe his post up game is so boring it drains them of their energy)

I think his bad D is overblown. He's no stopper, but he's not bad enough to warrant sitting him for huge chunks of the game when he's our most talented big man. Against the Bulls for example, I think he played a pretty good game defensively (he was in very good position more often than not to contest shots inside but was called for some ridiculous fouls with his hands straight up) yet he gets benched for (almost?) the whole 4th quarter.

If I could talk to JV I'd tell him to not be so concerned with fouling and just really try to bother the shot. He's so concerned with keeping out of foul trouble.. which is fruitless because Casey isn't gonna give him 30+ minutes on a regular night no matter what anyway.

Comment

• big boi wrote: View Post
                Ahem isiah Thomas and Joe dumars.
                what year is it?

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
                  what year is it?
                  Klay Thompson and steph curry
                  9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• tDotted wrote: View Post
                    Lol wow. You just said that two perimeter players are playing bad defensively because of their usage. Two players that earn the most minutes on the team. Why are you going back to JV's D? How much work does it require to pass it off to another guy when he establishes position and let him attempt a shot? (Maybe his post up game is so boring it drains them of their energy)

I think his bad D is overblown. He's no stopper, but he's not bad enough to warrant sitting him for huge chunks of the game when he's our most talented big man. Against the Bulls for example, I think he played a pretty good game defensively (he was in very good position more often than not to contest shots inside but was called for some ridiculous fouls with his hands straight up) yet he gets benched for (almost?) the whole 4th quarter.

If I could talk to JV I'd tell him to not be so concerned with fouling and just really try to bother the shot. He's so concerned with keeping out of foul trouble.. which is fruitless because Casey isn't gonna give him 30+ minutes on a regular night no matter what anyway.
                    I agree with the bold.... and its probably what makes him look even worse defensively than he probably is. It's like he's scared to touch the guys driving to our basket, while the other team's Bigs are giving HARD fouls when our guys drive inside. If he played more aggressive consistently, he might get away with more (like other bigs who seem to get away with a lot of contact).

To me its just too soft and its not the mentality I want from our C..... you have to make guys think twice about coming inside. If you're going to pick up a foul, make sure its not an and-1 either. You get 6 fouls, might as well make them count.
                    Last edited by special1; Mon Jan 9, 2017, 07:39 PM.

Comment

• tDotted wrote: View Post
                      So how bout we lower that usage. We've got a super efficient big man just waiting for some more touches.
                      Why doesn't OKC start Kanter and give him more touches to bring down Westbrook's usage? He's just as, if not more capable (i'd argue more) of scoring 20 points and grabbing 10 plus boards a game as Jonas is.

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post
                        Demar should have a high scoring game with Bradley out.
                        DeMar usually torches Bradley anyway. He's 6'2.

Comment

• special1 wrote: View Post
                          ...To me its just too soft and its not the mentality I want from our C..... you have to make guys think twice about coming inside. If you're going to pick up a foul, make sure its not an and-1 either. You get 6 fouls, might as well make them count.
                          Don't disagree, but from what I have seen over the years, JV is doing exactly what Casey tells him to do. I don't think Casey can use JV effectively. I don't know why. Maybe he has given up telling the guards to look inside, or maybe DeRozan thinks one pass a game to a wide open big man is enough. But I am just about ready to give up. Trade JV to someplace in the western conference so he won't terrorize the Raptors four games a year before the playoffs.

Comment

• Lupe wrote: View Post
                            Why doesn't OKC start Kanter and give him more touches to bring down Westbrook's usage? He's just as, if not more capable (i'd argue more) of scoring 20 points and grabbing 10 plus boards a game as Jonas is.
                            Heh, in contrast to the point you seem to be insinuating, Kanter has been much more involved in OKC's to offence than Jonas is in Toronto's. Kanter's averaged 15-16 FGA per 36 in OKC and JV gets 10 for his career in Toronto. Even more mind blowing when Kanter's gotten that opportunity playing with Westbrook AND Durant.
                            "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                              Heh, in contrast to the point you seem to be insinuating, Kanter has been much more involved in OKC's to offence than Jonas is in Toronto's. Kanter's averaged 15-16 FGA per 36 in OKC and JV gets 10 for his career in Toronto. Even more mind blowing when Kanter's gotten that opportunity playing with Westbrook AND Durant.
                              Your move, Lupe
                              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Lupe wrote: View Post
                                Because Kanter is one of the worst defenders in the NBA?
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X