Everything Round 1: Toronto Raptors vs Milwaukee Bucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanH wrote: View Post
    Yes, I recall the game. With 6:30 left in the 2nd Q, the Raps were down by 5 (with the team having given up a 22-7 run while JV sat between the end of the 1st and middle of the 2nd) and JV subbed in. The Bucks' possessions went like this over the next few minutes:

Middleton 2 point jumper made
    Delly jumper missed
    Hawes 10 foot jumper made
    Giannis missed dunk
    Hawes 3 point jumper made
    Brogdon turnover
    Antetokounmpo layup made
    Hawes 3 point jumper made

So, the Bucks scored 12 points to the Raptors' 10 points in that time frame in 8 possessions each, expanding the lead from 5 to 7 (disaster!). Hawes made two open threes and short jumper.

Valanciunas was pulled with a couple minutes left in the 2nd quarter. Hawes, thank goodness, was slightly less effective for the final two minutes (with an assist, an old-fashioned three point play and 2 rebounds in the final 2:30 of the half), and the Bucks scored only 11 points in those final 2 and a half minutes on 5 possessions (a 211 point pace!), pushing their lead to 11 at the half (again, at this point JV was a +11 on the night). Whew, fixed that defensive issue caused by Valanciunas.

Valanciunas played a few minutes to start the 3rd Q, then sat for the rest of the game. He had by far the best on-court defensive rating on the team that game. Heck, in the 2nd Q, when Hawes was such a big issue, the team had a far worse defensive rating with JV on the bench than when he was in the game (nevermind the offence completely tanking without him).

I know the reason JV sat was because Casey saw him get abused on a handful of possessions. I know that was the reason. I'm saying it was a stupid reason and reacting that way cost the Raptors the game in all likelihood. That game was lost as soon as Casey did EXACTLY what the Bucks wanted him to do - match up small with them so they aren't punished for their weaknesses, and can play exactly the way they want to. You think the Bucks want to live and die with Spencer Hawes jump shots? Hell no.

What I'm saying is if the Raptors make the same cowardly reactive choices, they are going to give the Bucks a chance in this series. If the Raptors play their game and play to ther strengths and find ways to use their best players (Greg Monroe played 14 minutes in the 2nd half, how the heck does JV only play 6?), this series should be simple to close out early.
    But they were beating Toronto with JV in. Whats the difference.

Comment

• Superjudge wrote: View Post
      But they were beating Toronto with JV in. Whats the difference.
      JV was a +10 in a 7 point loss. They beat Toronto by, what, 3 points with him in the game after the 1st Q? And got destroyed without him in there? You see no difference? The difference is, losing a lead very slowly can end with still having the lead at the end of the game. Bleeding points like the Raps were doing without JV means you are going to lose, pretty emphatically. Nevermind that once you do lose that lead, maybe you want to use the guy who was central to you getting that lead in the first place to try to get it back? Even when JV was in the game, they didn't actually USE him like they did early on to get that lead.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Wow, we didn't get a Noon game!! They didn't even give us the earliest game!! Movin' on up!

Comment

• consmap wrote: View Post
          Can't wait to see Carroll try and guard Giannis.
          I feel like this sarcasm ... Lol

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
            Wow, we didn't get a Noon game!! They didn't even give us the earliest game!! Movin' on up!

Comment

• Sam Mitchell btw picked the Raps to make it to the NBA Finals on NBA TV.
              Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Is it just me or were there alot less people in maple leaf square for the leafs game last night than there are for raptors playoff games. Is that why they only showed the fans like twice very quickly? Embarrassed?

Comment

• Pj tucker, Lowry and derozan all dealing with illness. Tucker sent home early from practice

Comment

I feel bad for the Raps.... being in the Playoffs in this city at the Same time as the Leafs won't be fun.
                    I have no doubt that Raptors fans will show up in full force and put shame to the "ultra-faithful" Leaf Fans.

Comment

• Raptors in 4.

Comment

I feel bad for the Raps.... being in the Playoffs in this city at the Same time as the Leafs won't be fun.
                        Won't be fun??? You think the thousands of rabid fans that have flooded Jurassic Park and the wave of passion that has gotten behind this team as they've grown together over these last several years, with Ujiri's moves culminating in pretty much the best incarnation of this squad we may ever be likely to see, with struggling Lebron's and the scent of the Finals in the air, you think it's not gonna be fun?? You think everybody's just gonna walk away?

I think you give Raps fans too little credit.

Comment

• ogi wrote: View Post
                          Pj tucker, Lowry and derozan all dealing with illness. Tucker sent home early from practice
                          Jclaw wrote: View Post
                          I hope it really is an excuse and not the flu. That would suck and it could go around the team. No shame in just saying "rest" at this point.
                          One of the times I don't like calling something....

Comment

• ogi wrote: View Post
                            Pj tucker, Lowry and derozan all dealing with illness. Tucker sent home early from practice
                            Of course. Shit like this always happens to this team this time of the year.
                            Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Let the hype begin....

https://mobile.twitter.com/TSNSciani...34951648514049

Comment

• Love it!
                                I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

Working...
                                X