Masai Ujiri said "We need a culture reset"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• golden wrote: View Post
    After Masai confirmed what a lot of us had debated about, I'm starting to feel like we don't need a GOAT level coach. Just somebody who can implement O & D systems and instill a culture of accountability better than Casey. Masai can get the talent.
    The problem is when your coach and 2/5 of the starting lineup ride & die with the "give it to Will" style game plan.

Casey even said that this roster doesn't have players capable of passing.

DeRozan & Lowry actually believe that trying to do everything is the best approach for the team.

Personnel needs to change if culture is going to change.

Comment

• Zing79 wrote: View Post
      You could swap the 2 in SA. Within their offence. And you would not suffer any depreciable drop off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      This seems off.

Comment

You could swap the 2 in SA. Within their offence. And you would not suffer any depreciable drop off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        God, I hope RC feels the same way. If raps can bring back all thier free agents but 2pat. Use cojo/jv for LMA. Draft shooter and sign VC. Team is a lot better.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
        Last edited by Chr1s1anL; Fri May 12, 2017, 02:24 PM.
        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• LMA and Ibaka...Oh boy, say good bye to rebounding.

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
            God, I hope RC feels the same way. If raps can bring back all thier free agents but 2pat. Use cojo/jv for LMA. Draft shooter and sign VC. Need is a lot better.

lol so now JV can get you Aldridge? weren't you the guy who wanted to trade him for Danny Green earlier this week?

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
              God, I hope RC feels the same way. If raps can bring back all thier free agents but 2pat. Use cojo/jv for LMA. Draft shooter and sign VC. Need is a lot better.

Oooooor. Keep the guy you have, on the much cheaper deal. And instead of setting him up for fail (which they literally seem to only know how to do), you construct some offensive sets that make use of him properly.

As opposed too....

Ladies and Gentleman. I present to you The JV Play
              1. Have JV go into the post and fight for position like he's playing Mortal Kombat. Do not help JV do this in any way. Don't move. Don't set screens for him. Just send him to one spot - and have the in-house music play the sound clip Fight
              2. Half the time, ensure guards continue to look for their shot (as JV is slowly but surely getting pushed away from the sweet spot he's established)
              3. Throw a pass of questionable skill into JV (where he gets pushed away even further from the basket as he's catching it)
                1. If you are unable to throw a pass of questionable skill (as a result of a simple entry pass being available), it's preferable for the guard (Corey Joseph should lead all drills in teaching this) to reverse the ball to the other side of the court.
                2. Either return to Step 1 of The JV Play, or request you abandon it, for JV to set a screen. Please ensure the end of the shot clock is near, so a shot with the highest difficulty possible is attempted so as to jump to Step 6.
              4. Do not under any circumstances move around. Just watch JV try and do his thing
              5. As it becomes instantly obvious to the opposing team that you've selected The JV Play. Remember point 4. No matter what you see. Or how many bodies start to collapse on JV you must remember point 4
              6. On the high probability of failure, and the Other Team taking said failure on a run-out the other way, prepare to blame JV for his lack of help on D. Totally forget he's just fought to the death on the other end. Totally forget he's just had to run back. Totally forget the opposing team will somehow think to exploit this.
              7. In the event Point 6 occurs, and you are a guard of the Toronto Raptors, ensure you are beat like a rented mule so as to put JV in the worst spot possible.
              8. Prepare to bench JV immediately. To ensure this occurs try running The JV Play several consecutive times. Does not matter if it appears the same results will continue to occur. Run it.
              9. If you are member of the fandom, and see The JV Play, immediately log onto RR. Prepare to copy and paste any and all hatred towards JV. Ignore all reason. Ignore The JV Play. You must post - it is your duty!
              Last edited by Zing79; Fri May 12, 2017, 04:06 PM.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                The problem is when your coach and 2/5 of the starting lineup ride & die with the "give it to Will" style game plan.

Casey even said that this roster doesn't have players capable of passing.

DeRozan & Lowry actually believe that trying to do everything is the best approach for the team.

Personnel needs to change if culture is going to change.

Bingo. And Masai understands this. He must be having a good chuckle at how much discussion one off-hand comment generated (especially amongst the local journos).
                "Stop eating your sushi."
                "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Oooooor. Keep the guy you have, on the much cheaper deal. And instead of setting him up for fail (which they literally seem to only know how to do), you construct some offensive sets that make use of him properly.

As opposed too....

1. Have JV go into the post and fight for position like he's playing Mortal Kombat. Do not help JV do this in any way. Don't move. Don't set screens for him. Just send him to one spot - and have the in-house music play the sound clip Fight
                  2. Half the time, ensure guards continue to look for their shot (as JV is slowly but surely getting pushed away from the sweet spot he's established)
                  3. Throw a pass of questionable skill into JV (where he gets pushed away even further from the basket as he's catching it)
                  4. Do not under any circumstances move around. Just watch JV try and do his thing
                  5. As it becomes instantly obvious to the opposing team that you've selected The JV Play. Remember point 4. No matter what you see. Or how many bodies start to collapse on JV you must remember point 4
                  6. On the high probability of failure, and the Other Team taking said failure on a run-out the other way, prepare to blame JV for his lack of help on D. Totally forget he's just fought to the death on the other end. Totally forget he's just had to run back. Totally forget the opposing team will somehow think to exploit this.
                  7. In the event Point 6 occurs, and you are a guard of the Toronto Raptors, ensure you are beat like a rented mule so as to put JV in the worst spot possible.
                  8. Prepare to bench JV immediately. To ensure this occurs try running The JV Play several consecutive times. Does not matter if it appears the same results will continue to occur. Run it.
                  9. If you are member of the fandom, and see The JV Play, immediately log onto RR. Prepare to copy and paste any and all hatred towards JV. Ignore all reason. Ignore The JV Play. You must post - it is your duty!
                  lol

Comment

• I noticed Masai used the word "RESET" instead of culture CHANGE.

This indicates to me that Casey is just going to bring in a new rock..
                    your pal,
                    ebrian

Comment

As opposed too....

I'm going to add a part. Let's call it 3a:

If JV should happen to establish decent, deep post position, and a simple entry pass is available, it's preferable for the guard (generally Cojo) to reverse the ball to the other side of the court.
                      "Stop eating your sushi."
                      "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                      "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                      - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• I'm going to leave this model here for people to think about in conjunction with this topic....

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                          I'm going to leave this model here for people to think about in conjunction with this topic....

Corporate jargon that's maximally vague/ambiguous, which can be interpreted in a myriad of ways, depending on your pre-conceived biases?

Agreed.

Comment

I'm going to leave this model here for people to think about in conjunction with this topic....
                            Good post. Provoking thought is one of the best assets/attributes of a good manager. I had posted earlier a link to the MU vid of the presser with times of his "rant" on "culture reset". It speaks to how many segments MU referred to in there which has been somewhat dismissed by some as "saying everything but saying nothing".

I prefer to think he was trying to incorporate aspects of your model chart in trying to impart how he was going to go about effecting change.

And he did include himself....which is at least on the face of it always a good sign of a leader.

Comment

i think this is the most businessy slide i've ever seen. it's got it all: buzzwords, color highlighting, circles, poorly aligned graphics, inexplicably overlapping images (the arrows). this is a mid-level board-room powerpoint spectacular.

Edit: i also find it humorous that "alignment" doesn't align positionally in any evident way with the other words in that column.
                              Last edited by KHD; Fri May 12, 2017, 02:25 PM.

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
                                i think this is the most businessy slide i've ever seen. it's got it all: buzzwords, color highlighting, circles, poorly aligned graphics, inexplicably overlapping images (the arrows). this is a mid-level board-room powerpoint spectacular.
                                Opinions vary....

Comment

Working...
                                X