The Argument Against A Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LJ2 wrote: View Post
    We could land ourselves a great talent like when we got VC, but we weren't able to put anything around him. We sort landed another good player with T-Mac, then with Bosh, but again could not put a supporting cast around those guys.

I'd rather take the Spurs approach. Stay competitive, and wait for the right time to use some assets to move up in the draft to nab a player you think can be special or to trade for a star when available. We aren't tied to Lowry, DeMar, Ibaka or whomever we sign this summer. They can be moved when the time is right.
    Actually we had VC and T-Mac. It was T-Mac's decision to be "The Man" in Orlando rather than second fiddle to VC that really fucked that team.
    If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

3inthekeon wrote: View Post
      Actually we had VC and T-Mac. It was T-Mac's decision to be "The Man" in Orlando rather than second fiddle to VC that really fucked that team.
      That and the screwy FA rules back then.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
        Probably 6-7 years. You'd need 3-4 years of pick accumulation and growing. Then a couple years of playoff experience.

But we would hopefully have a core with a foundational player or two. A core that could give us a 20-25% shot for five years. Right now we are positioning ourselves to have an under 5% shot for maybe five years, and by the end of that period our best players will be past their prime, and we will have to start from scratch again.

If Kyle and DeMar were 25 it'd be a different story. But KD and Curry are only a year older than DeMar, and both are younger than Kyle. Klay and Draymond are younger than both Kyle and DeMar, and we don't even have a third player as good as those two guys.
        This argument is just guess work. Pulling these years out of your you-know-what.

No thanks.

Let's say every other team decides to tank.....Will we all have a core of foundational players or two? What percentage at a shot at a title would our core give us then? lol

Playing sports is about playing against others who may be better than you. That's the challenge. That's the point. You don't give up and come back in 7 years.....That's crazy talk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Goes to show how difficult it is to put together a good team. My vote is for building on what we have.

Comment

Exactly. I've asked the tankers on multiple occasions how long it would take before it would result in us being favoured to win a championship. Still waiting for a response.
            Again tanking and rebuilding are 2 different things. I've stated numerous times the scenarios in other posts of giving our young players a shot (Wright, Powell, Jakob, Pascal) which can show us what they are made of. If they do bad we get draft picks if they do well, we have potential with salary cap space.

I'd rather take the Spurs approach. Stay competitive, and wait for the right time to use some assets to move up in the draft to nab a player you think can be special or to trade for a star when available.
            I don't see how you can compare David Robinson(#1 Draft Pick), Tim Duncan(#1 Draft Pick), Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili, Kawhi Leonard and Gregg Popovich to our core. They have stayed competitive as legitimate title contenders with HOF talents, we have stayed semi competitive with 2 all-stars who fail in the playoffs.

We're not moving forward though and have no realistic avenue to do so. If people can't accept the fact we're a good regular season team with no chance at a title, they're going to be pissed off for a long time.
            Doing the same thing over and over is called insanity. Also saying we have no realistic avenue to get better without this core sounds more pessimistic than what us 'tankers' are stating.

You believe tanking will result in us being better than the Celtics in 6-7 years ? Okay.
            It takes one true talent to make a world of difference in terms of potential to becoming a true contender. More often than not you'll find those talents in the top 5 draft picks in any given 7 year time frame.

We aren't tied to Lowry, DeMar, Ibaka or whomever we sign this summer. They can be moved when the time is right.
            This isn't 2K17, you can't just trade a player when you like. Try shipping out a 32-33 year old PG making near max money for another 2-4 years and getting a proper investment in return in this supposed 'right time' scenario (Which probably means we aren't doing so well, which probably means Lowry isn't doing so well).

I mean y'all can keep pounding your heads into the wall with this foundation, I for one won't be so optimistic if everyone comes back. I'm done with the rebuilding rant for the year, see y'all at draft day.

Comment

It takes one true talent to make a world of difference in terms of potential to becoming a true contender. More often than not you'll find those talents in the top 5 draft picks in any given 7 year time frame.
              One true talent doesn't get you past the conference finals. Houston has one. OKC has one. Spurs have one.

Cavs have Lebron, Kyrie and Love and they're on the verge of being swept.

You're rebuild fantasy makes far less sense to me (and just about everybody else) than it does to you. Dream on .
              If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

One true talent doesn't get you past the conference finals. Houston has one. OKC has one. Spurs have one.

Cavs have Lebron, Kyrie and Love and they're on the verge of being swept.

You're rebuild fantasy makes far less sense to me (and just about everybody else) than it does to you. Dream on .

Keep dreaming we are a contender or have potential of becoming one.

Comment

Deems wrote: View Post

Keep dreaming we are a contender or have potential of becoming one.
                  Just a few posts ago this is what i wrote:

We're not moving forward though and have no realistic avenue to do so. If people can't accept the fact we're a good regular season team with no chance at a title, they're going to be pissed off for a long time.
                  Yet you think that means I'm "dreaming we are a contender or have potential of becoming one", I'm sorry, I thought I was pretty clear what I stated.

Comment

As I stated earlier mentioning this point, saying we have no realistic avenue to get better sounds more pessimistic than what us 'tankers' are stating. From my interpretation it sounds like you have accepted the fact we have stagnated in mediocrity and are ok with it, which to me is worse than either the perspective of those who believe we can get better with this core & the those who want a fresh start. To each his own I guess.

Comment

Deems wrote: View Post
                      As I stated earlier mentioning this point, saying we have no realistic avenue to get better sounds more pessimistic than what us 'tankers' are stating. From my interpretation it sounds like you have accepted the fact we have stagnated in mediocrity and are ok with it, which to me is worse than either the perspective of those who believe we can get better with this core & the those who want a fresh start. To each his own I guess.
                      To me, 50 win seasons aren't mediocrity. They're good. Mediocrity to me is barely making or missing the playoffs. It's your rebuild idea that in my opinion will yield mediocrity. I may be wrong, you may be wrong. But like you said, to each his own.

Comment

To me, 50 win seasons aren't mediocrity. They're good. Mediocrity to me is barely making or missing the playoffs. It's your rebuild idea that in my opinion will yield mediocrity. I may be wrong, you may be wrong. But like you said, to each his own.
                        Yeah, isn't the old refrain wanting to avoid the "7-11" range? Near or barely in the playoffs, with no real hope of movement in either direction in the standings. If the team is consistently a home court playoff team, it's really hard to describe that as treadmilling - they are just unlucky to live in an era of truly dominant teams, even relative to the league's history of many a dominant team.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Do you guys think the Raptors, with LeBron, are better than the current CAV's team? Do you think we could compete with GSW if we had him?

Comment

LJ2 wrote: View Post
                            Do you guys think the Raptors, with LeBron, are better than the current CAV's team? Do you think we could compete with GSW if we had him?
                            Yes, and mayyyyybe.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                              Yes, and mayyyyybe.
                              I'd say yes, and no. Lowry and derozan are maybe equal to draymond and klay. Then they have two LeBron's. They're basically impossible to beat, unless you have 2 mvps and 2 all Stars.
                              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                                Yes, and mayyyyybe.
                                I agree, which is why I think the best course of action is to maintain being competitive, try and gain more flexibility and wait until the LeBron's and George's of the world start looking for teams that give them the best chance of winning. Or there is a trade available to bring in one of those players.

Comment

Working...
                                X