just how bad was the 2016_17 season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just how bad was the 2016_17 season

With the Celtics getting trounced even worse by the Lebron's than the raptor's (assuming they get thumped) hard can we put the season into a different perspective now. The bracket as Masai mentioned in his pressor really hurt us.

Yes playing in Lebron's bracket hurts, but there is more to it. This Raptors team reached its ceiling with Casey imo, especially with the iso ball system. Celtics on the other hand, have the #1 pick and still room to improve.

Comment

Meh, it's all about expectations. Expectations were high this season coming off a near 60-win campaign and the ECF appearance. They didn't meet those expectations in either the regular season or the post-season, though, I agree, the former had everything to do with the latter - if Cleveland ends up first then we would be watching the Raps get dismantled in late May instead of early May.

I think a bunch of good stuff happened this season with brining in Ibaka and Tucker (assuming they can keep them) and Delon Wright and Poeltl looking like players. Powell showing he can play a bigger role. Derozan having a great year. It certainly isn't all doom and gloom (we're not the Nets or the Knicks). At the same time, the team didn't take a step forward this year, so, that needs to be addressed.

Comment

A.I wrote: View Post
        Yes playing in Lebron's bracket hurts, but there is more to it. This Raptors team reached its ceiling with Casey imo, especially with the iso ball system. Celtics on the other hand, have the #1 pick and still room to improve.
        Are you guys high on Fultz? I don't think he's a difference maker for Celtics.
        Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

MixxAOR wrote: View Post
          Firstly If they resign IT Fultz will be playing on the bench and that may end up being a problem. They may end up having to stop the development of Marcus Smart (Smart choice lol), or he will cut into others play/dev time. If this is the case I don't think it will bode well for their locker room. They will have a hard time trading Smart and if they trade or don't resign IT they will take a step back most likely. I just don't see them getting jimmy butler or PG and giving up IT as an asset for a gamble.

I think it is because of this he will not be a difference maker. The celtics do have another pick next year which is insane but really their best bet is really to bide their time but it will still be a while.

I like the celtics future but I don't think we have a future to worry about.

Comment

MixxAOR wrote: View Post
            He's a consensus future star. Unless he pulls a Bargnani he will definitely be a difference maker. Just having that kind of talent under team control for nine years is huge.

Comment

rightsideup wrote: View Post
              With the Celtics getting trounced even worse by the Lebron's than the raptor's (assuming they get thumped) hard can we put the season into a different perspective now. The bracket as Masai mentioned in his pressor really hurt us.
              The bracket doesn't matter. The measuring stick isn't the second or third round, it's how we fare against a true contender.

We filled our biggest hole, at the 4, and we still got trounced. There was even more evidence that our style of play doesn't work in the playoffs.

Unfortunately, we have no idea whether another system would be enough to make the talent we have competitive against a contender.

It wasn't a colossal failure but it was significant. Even more so if we go int the luxury tax with the same group and the same coach.

Comment

TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post
                Firstly If they resign IT Fultz will be playing on the bench and that may end up being a problem. They may end up having to stop the development of Marcus Smart (Smart choice lol), or he will cut into others play/dev time. If this is the case I don't think it will bode well for their locker room. They will have a hard time trading Smart and if they trade or don't resign IT they will take a step back most likely. I just don't see them getting jimmy butler or PG and giving up IT as an asset for a gamble.

I think it is because of this he will not be a difference maker. The celtics do have another pick next year which is insane but really their best bet is really to bide their time but it will still be a while.

I like the celtics future but I don't think we have a future to worry about.
                That's a stretch tbh. Golden State got rid of two starters for Durrant, look how that worked out. Talent wins. Plus Boston could still add Gordon Hayward or anther free agent to that team easily.

Comment

The bracket is irrelevant. The playoffs have shown the gap between Warriors/Cavs and the rest of the league is ridiculously large. A warriors/cavs final is what everyone predicted, and rightfully so, but it would have been nice if there were a few teams that could have at least made them work a little to get to the finals. As a fan, I'm disappointed. Competition is more enjoyable than watching blowouts. It's actually worse than Euro soccer leagues.

Comment

#WengerOut

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
                      The bracket is irrelevant. The playoffs have shown the gap between Warriors/Cavs and the rest of the league is ridiculously large. A warriors/cavs final is what everyone predicted, and rightfully so, but it would have been nice if there were a few teams that could have at least made them work a little to get to the finals. As a fan, I'm disappointed. Competition is more enjoyable than watching blowouts. It's actually worse than Euro soccer leagues.
                      Well, in fairness, if Leonard and Parker were healthy it would have been more of a series with GSW. That was bad luck. If Curry and Durant were both hurt and the Warriors at full strength I think the Spurs win that series 10/10 times.

Comment

This season was fine, what were the expectations if not - 60 wins and on par with Lebron in the playoffs? This is not a 60 win year-in-year-out roster, and this team is nowhere near Lebron's level in the playoffs.

If this year was anything it was an ice-bucket-of-water reminder that only a small handful of superstars win 80% of the championships in the NBA. The Raptors do not have one of those guys. Doing better than they did (the soft way they lost to the Cavs aside) would take a perfect storm of positive circumstances for Toronto and negative circumstances for Cleveland. The NBA generally just doesn't do upsets, as much as we fans want to believe in our own team.

Nothing's really changed other than the honeymoon is over for Raptors fans who now have expectations. This roster still has to be better to be a contender, but we've known that all along.
                        "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

The regular season I thought was very interesting. OKC unleashed Westbrook and he went on to average a triple-double. D'antoni unleashed Harden as the de-facto PG for them and he had a remarkable season. Derozan took another step forward. The deadline was great with the additions of Ibaka and Tucker. CLE even looked vulnerable giving quite a few fans in the East some hope. Giannis took a huge step forward. Lots of interesting stories.

The raps I thought met expectations, although I was hoping they would be more competitive with CLE. The offseason should be interesting as well.

The playoffs just haven't been that exciting. Even some of the closer series had few competitive games.

Comment

It was like eating delicious Mexican food but then getting diarrhea afterwards, but it was still worth it.

Comment

I'm so, so pissed that Kawhi got injured.
                              "Stop eating your sushi."
                              "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                              "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                              - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Working...
                              X