Everything OG Anunoby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
    I haven't watched a tonne of video on him yet, but I saw a bit of Amarie Stoudamire at first glance.
    The shooting form needs to be fixed, and fast!

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
      I'm not certain his shooting is nearly as bad as some people are making it out to be. It's not the strongest part of his game but it's not a massive liability - at least from what little I've seen of him.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
        Someone earlier made a defensive comp. to Shawn Marion. I am glad it wasn't the jump shot! However I am concerned about a stat that's not getting too much play...his Ft%...56% last yr. Yikes which would point to an underlying issue in his shooting stroke. So yes, they better get the reps up on this.

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
          Someone earlier made a defensive comp. to Shawn Marion. I am glad it wasn't the jump shot! However I am concerned about a stat that's not getting too much play...his Ft%...56% last yr. Yikes which would point to an underlying issue in his shooting stroke. So yes, they better get the reps up on this.
          I think him not being in summer league means he can work on things like this.

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
            I believe the Raptors as a team are one of the league leaders in FT%. Indication is that we have good staff to help OG with that and his shooting stroke.

Comment

• Hoping this time off with injury results in an improved (stationary) shot. Not a whole lot else he can do on the court except practice set shots.

Comment

• One thing to note here is that the defender is Donovan Mitchell. Mitchell is a freak athlete and very good defender. His nba comp is often cited as norm powell (whatever value you do or do not see in those comps aside, the measurables and athleticism are similar). It's just one play and OG had some momentum/advantage coming off a screen, but imo, it demonstrates something of what i felt watching this kid on tv, in terms of how impressed i was by his athleticism.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                  I'm not certain his shooting is nearly as bad as some people are making it out to be. It's not the strongest part of his game but it's not a massive liability - at least from what little I've seen of him.
                  I agree. But I'm also of the opinion that he needs to develop a 3-shot and make leaps and bounds on his FT% if he wants to be a playoff rotation player. He was the right pick though, I'm glad we got him.

I think what's in the back of a lot of people's mind is that we're in a dire need of more consistent shooting from deep, and because he's not a pick that necessarily moves us in that direction (though it could be), it can make people uneasy.

All-in-all I think he'll be great, we couldn't have picked anyone better in this draft, but if anything, it reinforces the need to go after a shooter via trade or free agency, if at all possible.

That, or we get owned from deep again next year at round 2 or ECF if we get there.

Comment

• His shot needs some tweaking, definitely not as bad as people are making it out to be.

I think what needs more work is his handles. He doesn't look comfortable dribbling the ball. If he can do both those things, plus his D, we have an amazing pick at 23.

Kind of reminds me of DeMarre when he's trying to create his own shot.

Comment

• This is a great pick with the teams future and longevity as a top seed in mind (life after Lowry/DeMar core), but it's not fair to put playoff success on his back.

Comment

• saints91 wrote: View Post
                        His shot needs some tweaking, definitely not as bad as people are making it out to be.

I think what needs more work is his handles. He doesn't look comfortable dribbling the ball. If he can do both those things, plus his D, we have an amazing pick at 23.

Kind of reminds me of DeMarre when he's trying to create his own shot.
                        I totally agree, but I would say focus mostly on shooting and defense right away so hopefully he can play a role in the playoffs, then expand to handles, post moves, more shot creation stuff. I think for any young player the focus for their first year or two has to be shooting, just cause it opens up both their game and the teams game. I do agree though, it really makes sense to work on shot creation stuff because hes very good at the rim.

Comment

• OG has Draymond-lite potential and that's not an exaggeration.

All these comparisons to MKG, Marion etc don't fit because OG is either longer or stronger than they are and in MKG's, Stanley Johnson, Winslow and others cases he is longer, stronger and more athletic, they are the size of SGs, he's the size of a PF. I say "lite" potential because he isn't likely to ever become the passer that Draymond is (although some of that does play into passing targets like Curry and Klay BUT he was a good passer in college as well). Really OG's length and height is on par with Green and Millsap (he's actually slightly taller and longer than both). But he has the strength that guys like Marion and MKG never possesed. His combination of length, lateral quickness and defensive instincts are rare.

The key to his game will be getting consistency in his jumper and it's not broken like MKG's....albeit he didn't shoot a ton of 3s in his 1st he did make nearly 45% of them which is far from coincidence and 31% certainly wasn't great but he also didn't have anywhere near a full year to improve on it as many players do (ie/ Kuzma really improved his by around mid-season). I know it's pure speculation but I really believe he could/would have gotten himself closer to 34% or so because if you watch footage of his highschool years you can see there is a fluidity to his shot he just needs consistent mechanics and he is still only NINETEEN lol it's not like he can't improve.

Funny thing is people think of Draymond as some knockdown 3pt shooter when in reality he is a career 33% and just came off a year of 30% (yes LOWER than what OG just shot) so the comparison isn't as far fetched as some may think because their strength is their elite defense due to the foot speed, length and instincts nothing which OG needs to be taught, is natural at and will likely only continue to get better at. He may never become the passer but I'll take a player in Green's mold at #23 all day.

This pick was a HUGE steal.
                          Last edited by JamesNaismith; Mon Jun 26, 2017, 05:38 PM.

Comment

• JamesNaismith wrote: View Post
                            OG has Draymond-lite potential and that's not an exaggeration.

All these comparisons to MKG, Marion etc don't fit because OG is either longer or stronger than they are and in MKG's, Stanley Johnson, Winslow and others cases he is longer, stronger and more athletic, they are the size of SGs, he's the size of a PF. I say "lite" potential because he isn't likely to ever become the passer that Draymond is (although some of that does play into passing targets like Curry and Klay BUT he was a good passer in college as well). Really OG's length and height is on par with Green and Millsap (he's actually slightly taller and longer than both). But he has the strength that guys like Marion and MKG never possesed. His combination of length, lateral quickness and defensive instincts are rare.

The key to his game will be getting consistency in his jumper and it's not broken like MKG's....albeit he didn't shoot a ton of 3s in his 1st he did make nearly 45% of them which is far from coincidence and 31% certainly wasn't great but he also didn't have anywhere near a full year to improve on it as many players do (ie/ Kuzma really improved his by around mid-season). I know it's pure speculation but I really believe he could/would have gotten himself closer to 34% or so because if you watch footage of his highschool years you can see there is a fluidity to his shot he just needs consistent mechanics and he is still only NINETEEN lol it's not like he can't improve.

Funny thing is people think of Draymond as some knockdown 3pt shooter when in reality he is a career 33% and just came off a year of 30% (yes LOWER than what OG just shot) so the comparison isn't as far fetched as some may think because their strength is their elite defense due to the foot speed, length and instincts nothing which OG needs to be taught, is natural at and will likely only continue to get better at. He may never become the passer but I'll take a player in Green's mold at #23 all day.

This pick was a HUGE steal.
                            How about James Johnson?

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                              How about James Johnson?
                              I would be happy with that if he has DD's or Norm's work ethic, and can take direction.

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                                How about James Johnson?
                                He has a longer wingspan and higher standing reach by at least a couple inches in both cases and higher rate of production defensively both steals and blocks per game than JJ.
                                Last edited by JamesNaismith; Mon Jun 26, 2017, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X