Clear All

• Draftexpress likened his game to Iggy
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• lewro wrote: View Post
      James:
      -his wingspan is disputed
      -several players have avg 2stls/blks in NCAA and not panned out
      -you made the kawhi comp in November and I made the mkg comp and we debated it. I still set it as floor/ceiling (lite version). The Artest and Iggy comps are interesting too.
      It's not really disputed though. There were false rumours he had a Bruno like 7'6 wingspan...he measured out to 7.2' 3/4 which is longer than both Green and Millsap and he also measure at least a quarter inch taller than both. That's fine that others haven't, OG is only 19 has elite combination of physical tools (size, length and lateral quickness) that I find the likelihood of him busting incredibly low

...and yes lewro opinions are allowed to change with further examination . MKG would still be a poor one because OG is substantially longer than him and a better defender. OG's per 40 bpg and spg were better than MKG's and Anunoby has 2 3/4 inches longer wingspan and a 3 inch standing reach advantage as well. The only thing that surprises me is the supposed weight of each guy being similar because Anunoby at least looks considerably bigger/stronger just by a general eye test. I feel very confident saying right now that OG will be better than MKG.

Comment

• Looking at OG, I'm not sure what to think until we see how he recovers from the ACL tear. If Stack is staying on as the 905 coach, I can see him getting a lot of playing time. If he can put pressure on his leg, I hope he's working on his shot and learning how to shoot at a good clip.

As for our depth chart, we needed a SF. Carroll has looked like dung, Tucker might be gone (I think he is) & Bruno is probably the new backup unless we get a guy on the vet minimum. Bruno can also play the 4, allowing Patterson to be expendable (sad, but truthful) if we do want to resign Ibaka & Lowry. So let's say we do resign Lowry & Ibaka.... here's what we look like:

Starters:

Lowry
        DeRozan
        Carroll
        Ibaka
        JV

Bench:

Joseph
        Powell
        Caboclo
        Siakam
        Poeltl

3rd string:

FVV
        OG

Doing the math, that's 14 contracts right there & we could very well look different to start the season. Maybe Tucker or Patterson do resign, or maybe JV does get traded.... who knows at this point?
        Axel wrote:
        Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
        KeonClark wrote:
        We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
        KeonClark wrote:
        I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

• The thing about this guy that gets me excited is that he was able to translate his athleticism and physical profile into production at college. The defensive numbers, offensive rebounding, finishing in traffic, etc. all suggest that he is a great in game athlete. There are plenty of athletic freaks in the NBA, but it doesn't show game to game (i.e. Ross). I don't think the IQ criticisms are totally fair, because of how well he moves without the ball and defends in a team setting. I think he will have a pretty decent jumper, the question for me is his handle.

I'm not really a comp guy, but I think his potential ranges from energy big who defends multiple positions to great two way player.

Comment

• Cody73 wrote: View Post
            If he can put pressure on his leg, I hope he's working on his shot and learning how to shoot at a good clip.
            Yeah all he was doing in workouts was spot shooting and free throws. There is a video somewhere on youtube of workout clips with an interview.

Comment

• Is it really his athleticism, or the more logical explanation being the aerodynamic advantage of wearing 1970's Jackie Moon short shorts?

Comment

• DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post
                Yeah all he was doing in workouts was spot shooting and free throws. There is a video somewhere on youtube of workout clips with an interview.
                I was seeing the same thing with Peters... who was on my list of PF's I wanted. Different injury though... his was a stress fracture.
                Axel wrote:
                Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
                KeonClark wrote:
                We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
                KeonClark wrote:
                I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

• After reading through most of this thread over my lunch break I'm starting to get a bit worried about this pick. Seems like a lot of teams passed on him because of health concerns and not because he was lacking in talent. So all those teams ahead had their medical teams look at him and said pass, but the Raptors doctors...the ones that cleared Carroll of health concerns before we gave him the contract, keep saying Lowry is good to play with injury, gave Sully a pass, said OG is healthy? Nervous.

Comment

• JamesNaismith wrote: View Post
                    It's not really disputed though. There were false rumours he had a Bruno like 7'6 wingspan...he measured out to 7.2' 3/4 which is longer than both Green and Millsap and he also measure at least a quarter inch taller than both. That's fine that others haven't, OG is only 19 has elite combination of physical tools (size, length and lateral quickness) that I find the likelihood of him busting incredibly low

...and yes lewro opinions are allowed to change with further examination . MKG would still be a poor one because OG is substantially longer than him and a better defender. OG's per 40 bpg and spg were better than MKG's and Anunoby has 2 3/4 inches longer wingspan and a 3 inch standing reach advantage as well. The only thing that surprises me is the supposed weight of each guy being similar because Anunoby at least looks considerably bigger/stronger just by a general eye test. I feel very confident saying right now that OG will be better than MKG.
                    Ok, we agree on his wingspan.

I don't have a metric like height or stats so much as I have a feel for impact based on eye test. We're talking about speculation into the future so some stats, etc are helpful predictors but I really believe in watching full games to put things in context. I was really scouting Jamal Murray when I fell in love with OG for example.
                    I also loved mkg at Kentucky, seems more than you do. They are different players but again I'm looking at potential impact.
                    Mkg had a higher IQ, like he was much better at leaking out in transition to get easy baskets so he wouldn't have to be exposed in the half court so much. OG is just otherworldly athlete and shows more potential to fix his shot. It's hard to say which guy has the higher ceiling bc of injury. I do feel mkg went higher in the draft for some hype reasons and OG went lower for some risk aversion factors. They're both top 10 picks to me.

Comment

• Memories of Ed Davis... who's draft time injury turned out to be a non factor, but he ended up as a good player and not great. I was at that draft and it was interesting to watch him fall. It should also be very interesting to see this unfold and how the two drafts compare...

Comment

• meductic wrote: View Post
                        Memories of Ed Davis... who's draft time injury turned out to be a non factor, but he ended up as a good player and not great. I was at that draft and it was interesting to watch him fall. It should also be very interesting to see this unfold and how the two drafts compare...
                        Iirc we picked Ed around 11? He didn't fall too far like OG did from 8-12 range down to 23. I sorta remember Ed was mocked 5-8 pre-injury. Is that right?

Comment

• Love the pick. I like Anunoby-wan for the nickname.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                            After reading through most of this thread over my lunch break I'm starting to get a bit worried about this pick. Seems like a lot of teams passed on him because of health concerns and not because he was lacking in talent. So all those teams ahead had their medical teams look at him and said pass, but the Raptors doctors...the ones that cleared Carroll of health concerns before we gave him the contract, keep saying Lowry is good to play with injury, gave Sully a pass, said OG is healthy? Nervous.
                            I think you reach a threshold in these situations where the risk begins pailing to the potential reward though. A team drafting in the late lottery might pass on a guy with a ton of potential but with injury concerns... but as the picks keep coming off the board then eventually it becomes a worthwhile gamble for a team. A mid-20's pick has the historical expectation of a low level rotation player/complete non-factor so why not roll the dice on a lottery level talent if given the chance.

Comment

• Added a Poll!! Have a vote for the OG pick!

Comment

• lewro wrote: View Post
                                Ok, we agree on his wingspan.

I don't have a metric like height or stats so much as I have a feel for impact based on eye test. We're talking about speculation into the future so some stats, etc are helpful predictors but I really believe in watching full games to put things in context. I was really scouting Jamal Murray when I fell in love with OG for example.
                                I also loved mkg at Kentucky, seems more than you do. They are different players but again I'm looking at potential impact.
                                Mkg had a higher IQ, like he was much better at leaking out in transition to get easy baskets so he wouldn't have to be exposed in the half court so much. OG is just otherworldly athlete and shows more potential to fix his shot. It's hard to say which guy has the higher ceiling bc of injury. I do feel mkg went higher in the draft for some hype reasons and OG went lower for some risk aversion factors. They're both top 10 picks to me.
                                Yeah don't take it like I'm knocking MKG, I think the injuries really changed his potential obviously. But really OG just on flat out production had better numbers. I know a per 40 pace isn't the Holy Grail but it was a good indicator for Millsap and Green and as you acknowledge OG is just a far better athlete and a substantial difference in wingspan and standing reach, unfortunately for MKG these things make all the difference when you get to the professional level.

I still find it hard to believe that these 2 guys have a similar weight because Gilchrist must have metal for bones because he looks substantially leaner in comparison to Anunoby who is an absolute manchild. I would also say if anything I'd be a bit more cautious about MKG's metrics or numbers considering he had AD backing him up who in college looked like a lock for DPOY every year lol where as OG had Bryant lol one of the poorer defending big men in college. But I do agree both guys seemed worthy of top 10 selection I just think given the production and physical advantages OG holds over MKG that it will make all the difference in being effective just as athleticism and length completely changed things for Buddy Hield once he hit the pros lol.

As aside I find the comment about the bball IQ a bit off as well because logically I think a kid that has a higher rate of production of steals and blocks must have fairly good spatial awareness, understanding of offensive systems and anticipation. The other part that separates OG is he doesn't have that weird hitch to his shot and even when he had a down year he was still a 6% better shooter (a whopping 20% in his first year which we won't count) which is a HUGE gap for 3pt shooting ie/ DD's best year was about 34% where as Klay's worst was 40%, it's that different...and he didn't have a full year to improve that percentage when he came off a year shooting 40+% (yes on less attempts per game). All that to say the deck seems almost unfairly stacked in OG's favor over MKG imo.

Longer wingspan - OG
                                Taller standing reach - OG
                                Averaged more steals and blocks in less mins - OG
                                Incredible athlete - OG
                                Better 3pt shooting percentage - OG
                                Weird hitch to his shot - MKG lol
                                Last edited by JamesNaismith; Fri Jun 23, 2017, 10:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X