The OPTIMISTIC Everything 2017 Offseason Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The OPTIMISTIC Everything 2017 Offseason Thread

I'm getting the sense that many like me are getting tired of coming to the site, seeing pages of new posts in a thread only to see that it is people complaining about the state of the team and what they have done in the offseason. It does not mean you are not fans, you just have a different perspective. I still want to be able to read about and discuss all of the offseason moves but not to find one thoughtful post outweighed by dozens of others complaining about the state of our team or the admiration of the teams on the other side of the fence. So, if you want to catch up on the offseason from a more optimistic perspective, follow along here. Or follow both. Ideas on how we could be better? Great. Ideas on why we're going to be terrible? No thanks. We already have one thread full of despair....please don't duplicate it here.

Nice thread! I'm optomistoc about this teams future but I'm excited to see the roster balancing Masai can do before the season starts.

Great signings with Serg and Lowry, sorry to see Tucker and PP (maybe my favourite Raptor) go.

I'm really excited about OG!!!

Comment

My thinking is this:

We had to re-sign our free agents. We weren't in a position to sign any big names anyways, and they wouldn't come here without Kyle in the first place. They only got 3 year deals, so they can all be dealt at the deadline or next offseason if things go horribly this year. If things aren't looking up in 2-3 years, the team can go all-in on rebuild or to sign other free agents when our 3 stars will be free agents at the same time, past their prime(maybe not DD).

I'm still OK with where we're at and where we're headed. Hope the game plans change this year and I hope JV gets more looks inside and they don't forget about him.

Comment

My despairing thoughts sure could be distracted with some vintage jclaw puzzles

Comment

I'm leaning more and more to the trading of JV if they are planning on Serg playing the 5. I love JV's game and think he could get decent return. By drafting Poeltl at 9 it only makes sense to develop him and it would open up room to better other positions.

If Serg is sticking to the 4 then I'm all for keeping JV but we need to make him more of a focal point. He's talented enough to get more looks.

Comment

saints91 wrote: View Post
            I'm leaning more and more to the trading of JV if they are planning on Serg playing the 5. I love JV's game and think he could get decent return. By drafting Poeltl at 9 it only makes sense to develop him and it would open up room to better other positions.

If Serg is sticking to the 4 then I'm all for keeping JV but we need to make him more of a focal point. He's talented enough to get more looks.
            If we can't find a power forward, then then an Ibaka/Jonas starting front court seems likely.

Comment

I'm optimistic there's a chance we get a new coach this season.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
                I'm optimistic there's a chance we get a new coach this season.
                Hear hear.

Comment

I don't know if this meets the optimistic expectations standard...but I have been coming across various articles, podcasts etc why Lebron is not going to be in Cleveland beyond next season. Some of the pointers...Lebron has shut it down with his recruiting for the team as compared to previous years, Billups did not take the Cavs. GM job b/c LBJ is not going to be around, rumours about him joining LAL, the banana boat group all become free agents after next year and would like to play together!!

So, there is hope about the Cavs imploding. They may however be replaced by Boston...but they as currently constituted, I am thinking..."there is a chance".

Comment

Mack North wrote: View Post
                    My thinking is this:

We had to re-sign our free agents. We weren't in a position to sign any big names anyways, and they wouldn't come here without Kyle in the first place. They only got 3 year deals, so they can all be dealt at the deadline or next offseason if things go horribly this year. If things aren't looking up in 2-3 years, the team can go all-in on rebuild or to sign other free agents when our 3 stars will be free agents at the same time, past their prime(maybe not DD).

I'm still OK with where we're at and where we're headed. Hope the game plans change this year and I hope JV gets more looks inside and they don't forget about him.
                    Sums it up nicely. I'd like to add ownership + management are stronger than at any other point in the history of this franchise.

Basically within a fairly short window here, any path you could ask for is going to be a legit option - try to keep building, unload + tank, or be a major FA player and try an offseason overhaul.

I'm fine with that. We'll see what they can do in the next couple of seasons (during which, plateauing as a 50 win team is hardly a terrible worst case scenario) and if Ujiri doesn't come up with anything and there aren't sufficient internal improvements, we'll be moving on to a summer overhaul or a tank.

I'm going to enjoy the above average Raptors basketball in the meantime, there hasn't been much of it the last 20+ years.
                    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

People assume that we've gotten worse, losing a few veterans (that we basically couldn't afford, though we would have made room for PJ). That completely disregards the internal development of our young players, some of whom looked ready for prime-time even last season.

You need vets to win at a good pace, but we've still got Kyle, Ibaka, DeMar, and others, and avenues to add more. However, I'm looking forward to seeing our young guys contribute and improve.

Comment

I'm excited to see OG anunoby, I think he could be a great pick, and finally answer our small forward position for the first time since vince Carter. Obviously getting ahead of myself, but I feel better about this pick than Poeltl at 9 (and I like poeltl)
                        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

People assume that we've gotten worse, losing a few veterans (that we basically couldn't afford, though we would have made room for PJ). That completely disregards the internal development of our young players, some of whom looked ready for prime-time even last season.

You need vets to win at a good pace, but we've still got Kyle, Ibaka, DeMar, and others, and avenues to add more. However, I'm looking forward to seeing our young guys contribute and improve.

Comment

While some of the young guys didn't get as much run as we might have liked to see them get, they got enough to know what they need to work on to become more effective.

In four or five months, Poeltl could have made significant gains in strength and could easily have put on 10-12 pounds. His shooting should be better. He's already a heads up player.

Siakim was busting out a little 15 footer at the end of the season. It would be nice if he can do that a little more. His time dominating in the G League might have boosted his confidence as well.

Wright was already a heads up player. I would expect his 3 to have improved.

I hope Norm watched a lot of video and can make some decisions other than just putting his head down. He seems to be a workhorse. Maybe he follows in Derozan footsteps and gets better every year for the next several at least.

Interested to see what OG looks like in November/December. He could be a help on the second unit if he comes back with the kind of athleticism he showed in the highlight videos.

And I wonder what Derozan works on all summer. Please let it be "D."

Overall I am looking forward to the new season... Of course, I haven't given up on Masao being able to work some magic.

How many days to go???

Comment

I'm excited to see some of the young guys get more PT. We got some talent hiding there IMO. There will likely be some hiccups along the way, but should be fun watching them grow. If Demar improves on something once again that will be amazing. And if the approach to offence shifts even a little, then this team could be better than last season.

Comment

Working...
                              X