The OPTIMISTIC Everything 2017 Offseason Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DanH wrote: View Post
    This is such a misconception. Yes, JV is a good post scorer. No, it is not remotely his greatest strength on offence. His ability to score on the roll is by far his most dangerous weapon (with some mix of post ups and jumpers keeping the defence honest). The Raptors run tons of pick and rol, but sport the highest ratio of ball handler finishes to roll man finishes in the league.
    And this is why JV has to go. We are never going to use him properly. Since he entered the league that was always his greatest strength and we NEVER fucking use him in the roll. It's so frustrating. So might as well stop wasting his talents and just give it up already
    I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

Powell is now the starter. Fuck yeah

Comment

tDotted wrote: View Post
        Powell is now the starter. Fuck yeah
        We'll see. Should be, as things stand. With more moves to come, hard to judge just yet though.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

We'll see. Should be, as things stand. With more moves to come, hard to judge just yet though.
          Dan -- this is the OPTIMIST thread.
          If you're gonna naysay ya gotta offer up something better...
          Like .... OKC has buyers remorse and trades us Paul George for Cory and JV.
          OR ....perhaps something that could actually occur...

What's a realistic/dream scenario where we could move one of our 12 centers and fill our gaping hole at SF?
          Something big for JV? Something humble for Bebe?
          Optimists GO!

Comment

I say the optimistic version of a realistic scenario would be: we trade Cory and BeBe for no salary back, get a high second rounder out of it. And waive and stretch Hamilton. That clears $12.5 M in salary, putting the team 16M below the apron. Meaning they can sign a full MLE (Miles), BAE (some vet shooter) and a minimum salary guy and still have wiggle room for any moves later on.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

I say the optimistic version of a realistic scenario would be: we trade Cory and BeBe for no salary back, get a high second rounder out of it. And waive and stretch Hamilton. That clears $12.5 M in salary, putting the team 16M below the apron. Meaning they can sign a full MLE (Miles), BAE (some vet shooter) and a minimum salary guy and still have wiggle room for any moves later on.
              That's optimistic enough for me. Would be pretty happy starting the year like that. A better starting five than last year, and more time for the youngsters to play.

Comment

psrs1 wrote: View Post
                Cavs and Celtics and likely even with Wizards.
                Conceding defeat before a final roster is set and training camp opens ...a new level of optimism?
                There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                - TGO

Comment

While that exact and very fortuitous set of circumstances would be good it is likely that more moves are to come. At present Raps have 4 point guards and what looks like 5 centres if Ibalka is going to play more 5 than 4.
                  There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                  - TGO

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
                    I'm excited to see some of the young guys get more PT. We got some talent hiding there IMO. There will likely be some hiccups along the way, but should be fun watching them grow. If Demar improves on something once again that will be amazing. And if the approach to offence shifts even a little, then this team could be better than last season.
                    Agreed. I hope he's (Demar) improved his 3 point shot.

Comment

I don't see why you want to get rid of Hamilton so badly, he's more proven than Bebe and Poeltl and he costs 12 million less than JV. We have Ibaka for 3 years and we need cap to be able to extend our rookies.

I doubt he gets waived and stretched until after summer if that's possible. He's a great body to have for preseason camp.

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Comment

There are more moves to come - really hard to say whether Jonas will start the season with us, and I think Masai will spend the MLE if it's there for the taking. Regardless, I love how this roster is taking shape already.

Lowry/Wright/FVV
                        DeMar/Powell
                        Miles/MLE/OG/Bruno
                        Ibaka/Siakam/Hamilton
                        JV/Jak/Bebe

+2 two-ways

EDIT - how'd I forget OG? That's a lineup with a great starting lineup but even more impressive depth, versatility, and youth. There's no way this team doesn't win 50+ games, just too talented - 2 all-world stars, 3 minor-stars in Powell, Ibaka, and JV, backed up by great length and athleticism and now we start to see where the shooting is going to come from.
                        Last edited by SkywalkerAC; Sun Jul 9, 2017, 05:08 PM.

Comment

PS - if that MLE could be Mbah a Moute, that would be pretty elite defense coming off the bench - and still plenty of offensive punch.

Comment

c-troop wrote: View Post
                            I don't see why you want to get rid of Hamilton so badly, he's more proven than Bebe and Poeltl and he costs 12 million less than JV. We have Ibaka for 3 years and we need cap to be able to extend our rookies.

I doubt he gets waived and stretched until after summer if that's possible. He's a great body to have for preseason camp.

Don't hate the player, hate the game.
                            It's not possible. August 31st is the deadline.

And the only thing Hamilton has proven is that he is capable of being one of the worst players on one of the worst teams in the league.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Some really great-shooting lineups are now at our disposal:

Kyle
                              CJ
                              Bruno (humour me, this could obviously be Powell, DeMar, OG, whathaveyou)
                              Siakam (not as good a shooter as Patt, but maybe not that far off either)
                              Ibaka

Comment

Working...
                              X