Carrol traded to Nets! Finally!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hotshot wrote: View Post
    Masai always needs to take away Casey's overused favorites in order to force his hand into working a different method. Next season for example Masai wants internal growth from our inexperienced players to make up the gap that was left as result of 2Pat and Tucker's departures. Therefore Casey will need to give a wider leash to inexperienced players to play through their mistakes, something he doesn't like to do cause he wants to win every game.
    This had zero to do with that and is all about cap/tax issues but keep on with this silly narrative....

Comment

• Carroll had an interview on TSN Radio today and sure made it seem like he had wanted to be traded. Possible this was part of the logic of moving him versus JV. Could also just be him putting a positive spin on getting salary dumped.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
        Carroll had an interview on TSN Radio today and sure made it seem like he had wanted to be traded. Possible this was part of the logic of moving him versus JV. Could also just be him putting a positive spin on getting salary dumped.
        Can you provide the link please.

I think the other important thing is JV has always contributed in consistent ways in a positive manner. The amount of contribution has been inconsistent. Some times he has the capability to put up 20/18 numbers and other times he is isn't able to get his nmbers up. That said his rebounding has been fairly consistent OVERALL. He only had a small slump this past year where he didn't rebound consistently.

Carroll made you cringe when he even touched the ball

I think Carroll wasn't a bad acquisition. It was a bit of an over pay but we were also running under the assumption of getting Wes Matthews as well. An acquisition that I am glad didn't actually pan out.

JV has always seemed to like being here. Carroll had issues when he started playing badly and it was in large part a result of being plagued by injuries. It wasn't really his fault per say. That said I think there were times he could have just sat out and got truly healthy. Like his first year when he got injured we should have kept him out for another month. We should have went without him for that playoffs, instead of having him with these massive ice bags on his knees and a shell of his former self. I am not blaming the medical staff either because we have good staff, and it is on the part of the player to communicate and say no I should stay out and rest or to decide to push it. Sometimes it is worth it to push it I don't think it worked for him.

I think we had times of having a balanced roster in theory but in reality we still had holes. I think we are finally moving towards a truly balance roster. Both inside and out.

Comment

• Carroll wasn't worth his contract for sure.. but the Raptors have had far worse contracts that they had to deal with. Fields, Kapono, Kleiza, Hedo, Bargnani, Jose, etc, etc... Carroll did shoot 34% from the arc. Had some steals. Bungled the ball a lot, and couldn't stay in front of his guy defensively.. but he was okay. Still had a positive WS (so wasn't costing us games).

If he only got 15-20 mpg instead of 26 we would have been better off. I still hate that we had to include both our 2018 picks to dump him. Would have preferred Carroll, CoJo, the 2018 pick and paying luxury tax over Miles and no tax. But c'est la vie.

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post
            Can you provide the link please.

I think the other important thing is JV has always contributed in consistent ways in a positive manner. The amount of contribution has been inconsistent. Some times he has the capability to put up 20/18 numbers and other times he is isn't able to get his nmbers up. That said his rebounding has been fairly consistent OVERALL. He only had a small slump this past year where he didn't rebound consistently.

Carroll made you cringe when he even touched the ball

I think Carroll wasn't a bad acquisition. It was a bit of an over pay but we were also running under the assumption of getting Wes Matthews as well. An acquisition that I am glad didn't actually pan out.

JV has always seemed to like being here. Carroll had issues when he started playing badly and it was in large part a result of being plagued by injuries. It wasn't really his fault per say. That said I think there were times he could have just sat out and got truly healthy. Like his first year when he got injured we should have kept him out for another month. We should have went without him for that playoffs, instead of having him with these massive ice bags on his knees and a shell of his former self. I am not blaming the medical staff either because we have good staff, and it is on the part of the player to communicate and say no I should stay out and rest or to decide to push it. Sometimes it is worth it to push it I don't think it worked for him.

I think we had times of having a balanced roster in theory but in reality we still had holes. I think we are finally moving towards a truly balance roster. Both inside and out.
            http://www.tsn.ca/radio/audio/carrol...-come-1.801113
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
              Carroll wasn't worth his contract for sure.. but the Raptors have had far worse contracts that they had to deal with. Fields, Kapono, Kleiza, Hedo, Bargnani, Jose, etc, etc... Carroll did shoot 34% from the arc. Had some steals. Bungled the ball a lot, and couldn't stay in front of his guy defensively.. but he was okay. Still had a positive WS (so wasn't costing us games).

If he only got 15-20 mpg instead of 26 we would have been better off. I still hate that we had to include both our 2018 picks to dump him. Would have preferred Carroll, CoJo, the 2018 pick and paying luxury tax over Miles and no tax. But c'est la vie.
              Extremely easy to have a positive WS on a team that wins a lot of games, the only player on the roster with a negative WS was Sullinger. So having a positive WS is pretty meaningless.

On/Off stats show that Carroll was a negative both offensively and defensively, we were worse with him on the court than off. So I would argue he did in fact cost us games, and we would have won more if he sat out the entire season. Glad he's gone and really excited for Miles, who was an On/Off positive for Indiana both offensively and defensively.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
                Extremely easy to have a positive WS on a team that wins a lot of games, the only player on the roster with a negative WS was Sullinger. So having a positive WS is pretty meaningless.

On/Off stats show that Carroll was a negative both offensively and defensively, we were worse with him on the court than off. So I would argue he did in fact cost us games, and we would have won more if he sat out the entire season. Glad he's gone and really excited for Miles, who was an On/Off positive for Indiana both offensively and defensively.
                On/Off per NBA also shows JV negative both offensively and defensively, even more so than Carroll. I wouldn't put too much stock in that stat.
                If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• Here's a good stat for the advanced analytics crowd. In 0% of games, keonclark thought "hey, Carrolls good!"
                  9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                    On/Off per NBA also shows JV negative both offensively and defensively, even more so than Carroll. I wouldn't put too much stock in that stat.
                    Yeah, context is very important with those stats. Both JV and Carroll were scuttled by the horrendous starting lineup they were forced to spend most of the year playing in. Both looked much better playing beside a smart frontcourt partner in Pat.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                      Here's a good stat for the advanced analytics crowd. In 0% of games, keonclark thought "hey, Carrolls good!"
                      Is there anywhere online to find "eye-test" stats?

Oh, wait. On every fanboard.
                      If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

Is there anywhere online to find "eye-test" stats?

Oh, wait. On every fanboard.
                        Listen here sonny, I knows a bum when I sees it!

Comment

Actually I would put stock in that. JV is not a high impact player.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                            Listen here sonny, I knows a bum when I sees it!

Is Bruno a bum?
                            Mamba Mentality

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
                              Is Bruno a bum?
                              *pulls put magnifying glass*

Yes.

Comment

• We traded away assets to make up for a crappy contract Masai gave and MLSE was too cheap to eat so rather burn assets for basically nothing. Not impressed with Masai at all, I know he has a lot of homers but he is definitely overrated as a GM. We essentially brought back the same type of team with less bench depth yet somehow expect better results.

#masaithefalseprophet

Comment

Working...
                                X