Everything Jakob Poeltl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primer wrote: View Post

He's 28 years old and playing for a current fringe playoff team that will only be getting better as guys mature. He has guaranteed starter minutes and gets lots of touches on offense. Why wouldn't he want to be here? You're acting like he's 34 years old and only has 1 good year left.

We also have zero reason we would want to move Jak. None.
    Jak resigned with the Raps thinking he was going to play with Pascal, OG and maybe Fred (can't remember when they signed contracts with respective teams). He's now playing with an entirely new roster save Scottie, who himself is still developing. That has to have an impact on how he sees his future with the Raps.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

Mainly because Jak is under contract for 3 more seasons and Claxton is likely to get a contract bigger than Jaks this offseason. I don't see Claxton surpassing Jak as a player while we have Jak under contract. So just straight up contract wise Claxton makes no sense for us.
      It's not like the Raps don't have a lot of cap space and Clax isn't commanding a max or anything close I don't think.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

Not sure why Claxton as a replacement for Jak is considered nonsense? He's a good, young and athletic C. Jak is obviously the better player right now, but so were Pascal and OG over the guys replacing them. It's all about building around Scottie, the fit with Scottie and timeline. Jak is a damn good player, but he's hit his ceiling. Clax is pretty good as is, and has a lot of room to grow still.
        Why are you talking like Poeltl is old? he's 28 years old man. Kyle Lowry was 28 years old when the Raptors first made the playoffs in 2014.

Also, like golden said, Claxton doesn't fit Darko's system. Poeltl is a big part of this team's offense. They like to put him in the high post, pass to cutters, some of the stuff he does you can't teach. Claxton doesn't have that kind of skillset. He's just mainly a lob guy, and an offensive rebound guy. Just because he's more athletic doesn't mean he's better.
        Mamba Mentality

Comment

Jak resigned with the Raps thinking he was going to play with Pascal, OG and maybe Fred (can't remember when they signed contracts with respective teams). He's now playing with an entirely new roster save Scottie, who himself is still developing. That has to have an impact on how he sees his future with the Raps.
          Jak resigned with a team that lost in the play in and wasn't top 8, he currently plays for a team that is shooting for the play in but not top 8, his situation has not materially changed.

You're acting like he thought he was signing with a true contender which he clearly was not.

I'm sure Jak, like most players, wants to start and be involved on offense. He still has that here, and I would say he is even more involved on offense than he was when we still had FVV, Pascal, and OG.

Comment

Kind of a hot debate topic this season, but is Jak a part of the future for this team? Will he be playing for the Raps next season? I'm thinking no (though would be happy if he is).
            Yes but I think some believe he'll be good/decent for longer than he will be and he appears to be getting unlucky/injury prone. He just seems like a really old 28, a lot of miles on htat body. I think he and Olynyk are a good/not great tandem but we'll be talking about the need for the centre position sooner than later. Koloko should have been the answer but now I guess we'll be drafting one again to line up with Scottie and compete aganst the Sengun, Jarrett Allen and Kesslers.
            Last edited by G______Deane; Thu Feb 29, 2024, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X