Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Our lack of a 3/big-wing defender is a serious problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cody73 wrote: View Post
    That sounds exactly like Bruno to me. He has the skillset to guard whoever with his length & he's gotten quite smart on that end. He can hit an open 3 pointer so long as he doesn't rush his shot (Something he's known to do). He can also play smallball PF given that he's 6'10/6'11 now.... Bruno being NBA ready is key to success is some small aspects unless one of the two-way guys can step into that role along with OG. I have 0 idea how the two way guys play though....
    You are making some very concrete statements about Bruno considering he's never played a meaningful NBA second. I get there's a frame of reference from his time in the D League but I think you need to pump the brakes slightly.

Comment

• OG Anunoby will be a defensive stopper from day 1.

Powell will pow.

CJ will be better than the corpse of Carroll who logged almost 30 minutes a night.

Stop the paranoia.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
        None of those posters said he'd be ready from "day one", and a couple explicitly said he'd be growing into the role, or grouped him with Bruno, showing they obviously expect it to take some time.
        Good point.
        The way I see it:
        From last year we lost (as impact players) : 2Pat, Tucker & Joseph (lets call DC loss a plus);
        Who are we replacing them with?
        CJ -Check
        Norm (a lot more mins & responsibility) -check;
        Need 1 more.
        Why not 1 of young ones (as you indicated OG or Bruno, or Wright or Poeltl or Siakam?
        Last year all of them (except Bruno) received some opportunity. With success our D leaugue team has, for most part I'd say there is enough reason for optimism.
        Overall, I'd say our offence was (and remains) in good shape. All the above young players have D as their stonger suit & that is excatly where we will need help come playoff.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
          To be fair, no one expects him to be. They are looking at what he might be capable of with a solid chunk of the season already under his belt, similar to how Powell had an impact in his first playoffs.

He's certainly more a solution to the issue in future, it's a small hole this year, and I think not all that consequential to the Raps' chances.
          Norman Powell had significantly more experience under his belt than OG Anunoby though, to be fair. I think OG's development could be similar to Delon Wright, who by his own right came out of college with twice as much experience as OG did. Or perhaps similar to that of Powell, if Powell had left college 2 years earlier. I think those last two seasons really made what Powell is today.

OG wasn't even a starter in Indiana (who were terrible last year), and secondly missed a lot of his sophomore season before declaring for the draft. The fact that he even declared is actually a little bit alarming for me and kind of says a lot about his future/career projection in my opinion...

Whereas Powell finished college. So there's that. I will say though that once healthy, OG has a great opportunity -- a lot more than Delon did in his first 2 years. We're pretty weak at the position and if he can get healthy and impress in practice, OG could be the next Siakam and log significant minutes early on.

As for the Raptors' fortunes I agree that OG has very little to do with anything and shouldn't be expecting much -- I was only taking issue with the 'NBA-ready' talk.
          Last edited by ebrian; Fri Aug 11, 2017, 06:44 AM.
          your pal,
          ebrian

Comment

• We've had James Johnson, Terrence Ross, DeMarre Carroll, PJ Tucker, Landry Fields, Rudy Gay, Patrick Patterson, etc. (all considered to be plus wing defenders), and what difference did any of them make?

Does a capable wing defender who's available, and under a reasonable contract, that's a noticeable improvement over the above guys, even exist? Is Kawhi, LeBron, Durant, Harden, Giannis, etc. stopped by anyone?

I mean, who are we really vying for?
            Last edited by Nilanka; Fri Aug 11, 2017, 09:10 AM.

Comment

• ebrian wrote: View Post
              Norman Powell had significantly more experience under his belt than OG Anunoby though, to be fair. I think OG's development could be similar to Delon Wright, who by his own right came out of college with twice as much experience as OG did. Or perhaps similar to that of Powell, if Powell had left college 2 years earlier. I think those last two seasons really made what Powell is today.

OG wasn't even a starter in Indiana (who were terrible last year), and secondly missed a lot of his sophomore season before declaring for the draft. The fact that he even declared is actually a little bit alarming for me and kind of says a lot about his future/career projection in my opinion...

Whereas Powell finished college. So there's that. I will say though that once healthy, OG has a great opportunity -- a lot more than Delon did in his first 2 years. We're pretty weak at the position and if he can get healthy and impress in practice, OG could be the next Siakam and log significant minutes early on.

As for the Raptors' fortunes I agree that OG has very little to do with anything and shouldn't be expecting much -- I was only taking issue with the 'NBA-ready' talk.
              So OG will have the chance to earn minutes at both the 3 and the 4 . Delon got injured in his first year and had K Low and Corey to battle in front of him...So if Bruno really takes a leap...which would be nice then great otherwise he is getting minutes and can get those minutes at two positions.

At his school when he was injured his school's record plummeted and their coach got fired.

It is a double edge sword because if you leave college you have the chance to be molded more in the NBA vs finishing college you are a bit more of a finished product. He will be fine honestly. He declared before he got injured. When he declared he was the consensus top 10 pick. We have shown we can develop so lets see.

Comment

• The talk about OG reminds me a lot of when MKG came out of school, and people thought he was a jump shot away from being LBJ-like lol

Comment

• Alex91 wrote: View Post
                  The talk about OG reminds me a lot of when MKG came out of school, and people thought he was a jump shot away from being LBJ-like lol
                  Now, to be fair, MKG is still a really solid player even though he never developed that jumper.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Yeah and we took OG 21 picks lower than MKG.
                    Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

• Mess wrote: View Post
                      Yeah and we took OG 21 picks lower than MKG.
                      I just think he solves our wing defender problem. I am not over projecting. If he develops a shot... even better.

Comment

• ebrian wrote: View Post

RE: OG in Indiana

He was 4th on the team in MPG despite not getting consistent starts and the team's winning pct% fell off from .625% with him playing all the way down to .444% after he got injured. He was a huge piece for that team and his former coach spoke extremely high of him on draft night.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                          We've had James Johnson, Terrence Ross, DeMarre Carroll, PJ Tucker, Landry Fields, Rudy Gay, Patrick Patterson, etc. (all considered to be plus wing defenders), and what difference did any of them make?

Does a capable wing defender who's available, and under a reasonable contract, that's a noticeable improvement over the above guys, even exist? Is Kawhi, LeBron, Durant, Harden, Giannis, etc. stopped by anyone?

Someone in the mould of prime Shawn Marion would be nice.

Comment

• tDotted wrote: View Post
                            RE: OG in Indiana

He was 4th on the team in MPG despite not getting consistent starts and the team's winning pct% fell off from .625% with him playing all the way down to .444% after he got injured. He was a huge piece for that team and his former coach spoke extremely high of him on draft night.
                            He was 5th on the team in MPG and not getting consistent starts is not a good thing. Anyway, the winning pct is pointless to look at. 10-7 with, 8-9 without -- all we can say really is that the Hoosiers were bad last year. I mean if you really want to dig into wins and losses, Hoosiers were 6-2 when OG played 25 minutes or less. Tiny sample sized stats like that don't mean a whole lot.

Nice of Tom Crean to say nice things on draft night. He was fired this season because of how bad the Hoosiers were.
                            your pal,
                            ebrian

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                              We've had James Johnson, Terrence Ross, DeMarre Carroll, PJ Tucker, Landry Fields, Rudy Gay, Patrick Patterson, etc. (all considered to be plus wing defenders), and what difference did any of them make?

The question isn't whether a good wing defender would push us over the top, imo.

It's whether one would keep us from falling farther back from the pack. The pack being 2nd-tier teams in the east or 3rd-tier teams in the NBA overall.

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
                                The question isn't whether a good wing defender would push us over the top, imo.

It's whether one would keep us from falling farther back from the pack. The pack being 2nd-tier teams in the east or 3rd-tier teams in the NBA overall.
                                This. People seem to think it's a guarantee we'll be better than Washington, Boston, Milwaukee in the playoffs or regular season. It's not.

Comment

Working...
                                X