Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Our lack of a 3/big-wing defender is a serious problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tDotted wrote: View Post
    OG Anunoby will be a defensive stopper from day 1.

Powell will pow.

CJ will be better than the corpse of Carroll who logged almost 30 minutes a night.

Stop the paranoia.
    Exactly, this is honestly less of an issue than last year. Also the only two people in the east that Raps have no potential of guarding at the 3 are LeBron and Giannis. Guess what, nobody else in the east has a single player to answer those guys.

Comment

• ebrian wrote: View Post
      He was 5th on the team in MPG and not getting consistent starts is not a good thing. Anyway, the winning pct is pointless to look at. 10-7 with, 8-9 without -- all we can say really is that the Hoosiers were bad last year. I mean if you really want to dig into wins and losses, Hoosiers were 6-2 when OG played 25 minutes or less. Tiny sample sized stats like that don't mean a whole lot.

Nice of Tom Crean to say nice things on draft night. He was fired this season because of how bad the Hoosiers were.
      The minute stat is a weak argument. Consider the fact that he will play more minutes in close games that are likely to go either way vs playing far less minutes in blowout situations. 10-6 with him and 8-9 without is a big deal in college basketball where you only get 34 games during the season.

Not all hirings and firings in basketball are as simple as "good coach/bad coach"; that's pretty hard to determine from a fan's perspective. Crean has had a bunch of successful seasons throughout his coaching history so let's not pretend he's some run-of-the-mill coach. Indiana just felt it was time to move on, not that the 2016-17 season was some disaster.

Anyway, this is a guy that coached Dwyane Wade in Marquette for 2 seasons. If he says he sees a lot of talent in OG, I believe him.

Comment

The minute stat is a weak argument. Consider the fact that he will play more minutes in close games that are likely to go either way vs playing far less minutes in blowout situations. 10-6 with him and 8-9 without is a big deal in college basketball where you only get 34 games during the season.

Not all hirings and firings in basketball are as simple as "good coach/bad coach"; that's pretty hard to determine from a fan's perspective. Crean has had a bunch of successful seasons throughout his coaching history so let's not pretend he's some run-of-the-mill coach. Indiana just felt it was time to move on, not that the 2016-17 season was some disaster.

Anyway, this is a guy that coached Dwyane Wade in Marquette for 2 seasons. If he says he sees a lot of talent in OG, I believe him.
        Yeah I don't see why there is the notion that the kid will be bad. Maybe people are worried but I dont understand why. Every single analyst loves the pick. Thinks he should have been picked higher... Things we may even have the biggest steal of the draft.

People were even talking about us trading our pick to try to move down to 15 or earlier to draft him but he fell to us. His brother is an NFL player so he knows how to be a pro and work hard. His shot

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post
          Yeah I don't see why there is the notion that the kid will be bad. Maybe people are worried but I dont understand why. Every single analyst loves the pick. Thinks he should have been picked higher... Things we may even have the biggest steal of the draft.

People were even talking about us trading our pick to try to move down to 15 or earlier to draft him but he fell to us. His brother is an NFL player so he knows how to be a pro and work hard. His shot
          NFL player isn't the gold standard for "being a pro and working hard". it's more like smoking weed, abusing women, and not standing during anthems

Comment

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
            This. People seem to think it's a guarantee we'll be better than Washington, Boston, Milwaukee in the playoffs or regular season. It's not.
            I don't think many people are saying that we're "guaranteed" to be better than those teams, the same way that the premise for your original post - that posters were flat out ignoring our potential defensive issues on the wing - seemed to be off base a little bit as well. I think most supporters around here realize the roster has holes in it (which team doesn't aside from G State?) but you can still generally be optimistic about the upcoming season or confident that we'll be amongst the Conference's best yet again. You can do both.

No disrespect, but the overwhelming majority of your posts on here seem to be negative, sometimes overtly. Just because folks don't fall into the same posting habits and occasionally throw in a positive or hey, even an optimistic blurb about the Raptors doesn't necessarily mean they're living in a fantasy land or delusional about the franchise.. It just means that they don't want to hammer on the drawbacks of the team over and over and over again.

Comment

• Alex91 wrote: View Post
              NFL player isn't the gold standard for "being a pro and working hard". it's more like smoking weed, abusing women, and not standing during anthems
              Don't make me post links showing NBA players doing all 3 of those things. We don't need these kinds of posts here.
              Last edited by Mess; Mon Aug 14, 2017, 10:08 AM.
              Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

• Mess wrote: View Post
                Don't make me post links showing NBA players doing all 3 of those things. We don't need these kinds of posts here.
                The link to Eddie Griffin's Wikipedia will do.

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
                  The question isn't whether a good wing defender would push us over the top, imo.

It's whether one would keep us from falling farther back from the pack. The pack being 2nd-tier teams in the east or 3rd-tier teams in the NBA overall.
                  Seems like a low bar, no? I would think a combination of Miles and Powell are capable of holding down the fort with minimum slippage compared to previous renditions of the roster.

Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
                  This. People seem to think it's a guarantee we'll be better than Washington, Boston, Milwaukee in the playoffs or regular season. It's not.
                  Wasn't really guaranteed we were better than Washington or Boston last year either, to be honest.

Bottom line for me, yes, the SF position is a concern (as are many other concerns about this team), but not sure I would call it a "serious problem". Unless we're willing to admit that it's always been a "serious problem".
                  Last edited by Nilanka; Mon Aug 14, 2017, 05:35 PM.

Comment

The minute stat was your argument. I was simply correcting you because you claimed he was 4th in minutes. He was 5th.
                    your pal,
                    ebrian

Comment

• I'm not sure if was this thread of not where I didn't reply to a response saying that Miles would be starting, but anyway, I sure wouldn't bet against Powell starting at this point. Norm has paid his dues with Casey, he's the more dynamic offensive and defensive player, and he's no longer up against a 15 million dollar man in Carroll.

Finally, Norman in the starting lineup spreads out both the youth and the shooting on this team. The bench desperately needs a veteran presence and someone to spread the floor. Miles provides both, and slots into Ross's bench role that Casey was fond of.

That's your 9-man rotation by the way (switch Norm and Miles if you like), and it's pretty great - sure it's small on the perimeter but there's still plenty of size/length overall. The 10th man - from all these small forwards we're talking about here - is going to get roughly half the minutes of the 9th guy.

Lowry/Delon
                      DD/Miles
                      Powell
                      Ibaka/Pascal
                      Jonas/Jakob

Unless, that is, one of them can step up and play stretch 4 in some of Casey's offensive lineups - likely bumping Jakob out of the rotation.

Lowry/Delon
                      DD/Miles
                      Powell
                      Ibaka/Pascal/Bruno or OG by the end of the season
                      Jonas
                      Last edited by SkywalkerAC; Thu Aug 17, 2017, 05:58 PM.

Comment

The minute stat was your argument. I was simply correcting you because you claimed he was 4th in minutes. He was 5th.
                        I did make a mistake there. However you followed up by saying that the team had a better record when he played less minutes. That was the point I was referring to as being "weak".

Comment

I did make a mistake there. However you followed up by saying that the team had a better record when he played less minutes. That was the point I was referring to as being "weak".
                          Read my post again. I said myself that tiny sample size stats are useless. Now here you are re-confirming what I already said.
                          Thanks?
                          your pal,
                          ebrian

Comment

Read my post again. I said myself that tiny sample size stats are useless. Now here you are re-confirming what I already said.
                            Thanks?
                            Read my post again. 8-9 is more than half of a regular college season so I'm not sure why you want to keep calling that a tiny sample.

The minute splits you used as a counter argument didn't work, not because of the sample size, but the lack of context taken into account. Raptors have a higher winning pct% when DeRozan and Lowry play less minutes. Why? Because they're winning by so much that they no longer need to be in the game. It was the same case with OG in Indiana. Trying to frame that correlation as anything else is a mistake.

Comment

• Do we have any cap space to pick up Dante Cunningham for some bench insurance?

Comment

• c-troop wrote: View Post
                                Do we have any cap space to pick up Dante Cunningham for some bench insurance?
                                We can sign players with the BAE or the minimum, but it will put us definitively into the tax unless a salary shedding move is made later (a bad negotiating position to put yourself in). If signed for the minimum, he could replace the presumed 14th man (McKinnie), but McKinnie's guarantee is big enough that is precludes him from signing with the 905, so I doubt that would be the plan.
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X