Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What star will be available this season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What star will be available this season?

As we saw last year Ibaka became available midway through the year. Raptors were able to capitalize on this. Out of the names below which player do you think would be more attainable if made available/best fit? My choice is Marc Gasol. Contract fits current time table. Has experience playing with on Spain. Expanded his game to being a respectable 3 point shooter. I don't think many teams will be willing to offer a lot because of his age. Would love for Yak to learn from Gasol.

Marc Gasol

Paul George

Demarcus Cousins

If you have other names in mind, please add.
    @Chr1st1anL

I'm not sure we're going to see a repeat of the last six months, because most teams have already picked a path for the upcoming season, tank or compete.

I'd say George is the least likely of the three you listed to get moved. Cousins only gets moved if the Pelicans stumble badly imo. Gasol is an attractive possibility but I'm not sure we have the pieces if Memphis goes full rebuild.

The question really comes down to which teams you think will stumble badly. I'd like to think LeBron or Blake might shake loose this season but the odds of them becoming available and us being able to package the right salaries/assets is almost nil.

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
      I'm not sure we're going to see a repeat of the last six months, because most teams have already picked a path for the upcoming season, tank or compete.

I'd say George is the least likely of the three you listed to get moved. Cousins only gets moved if the Pelicans stumble badly imo. Gasol is an attractive possibility but I'm not sure we have the pieces if Memphis goes full rebuild.

The question really comes down to which teams you think will stumble badly. I'd like to think LeBron or Blake might shake loose this season but the odds of them becoming available and us being able to package the right salaries/assets is almost nil.
      I could see both Memphis and Pelicans struggling in the deeper WC
      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

chris paul

Comment

Gasol and Cousins I think will both be available at the deadline. Unfortunately we have no picks to trade, which is gonna make it difficult for us to make a play for either. Like Christian said, the West is too strong for those teams. The Grizzlies won a disproportionate number of close games last year (like Boston did btw) and still barely made the playoffs (they went 42-40 but their expected W-L was 35-47). With their guys aging and no real improvements to their team (although Chandler might be healthy) I think it'll be difficult for them to make the playoffs. Same deal with the Pelicans who didn't really add much this summer and the fit of Rondo/Jrue will be questionable.

Golden State, Houston, San Antonio and Oklahoma City will definitely be better than them, that's obvious. Denver will too with the upgrades they made in the summer, same goes for Minnesota. And even though the Clippers lost CP3 they will be as well imo. Utah will still be elite defensively and Portland will be in that mix as well. Both Pelicans and Grizz could easily be below .500 around the ASB and looking to sell.

Melo of course should be a guy to look out for as well. Tbh if we're the #1 seed around the break and have a real shot at having homecourt advantage throughout the east playoffs, I offer the Knicks JV+Filler to match salary and pull the trigger on that. They wouldn't likely be able to demand as many assets back in terms of picks and young players so Valanciunas, Bebe and some of these end of bench guys that are making like 1.3M per year (McDaniels, FVV, Wiltjer, etc) likely gets that done.

That'd give us a pretty nasty lineup to at least have a shot at getting out of the east.

PG: Lowry/Delon
          SG: DeMar/Powell
          SF: Melo/Miles
          PF: Ibaka/Siakam
          C: Poeltl

Can close games with Lowry/Powell/DeMar/Melo/Ibaka
          Last edited by Shaolin Fantastic; Thu Sep 7, 2017, 08:31 AM.

Comment

Yeah, we're likely out of the star race this year. Next year is more likely, with a shorter term JV contract, a re-signed Powell, and all our picks available.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

I still think Cousins/Gasol type players can't match up against good small ball teams. And really those are the teams ahead of us, so don't see the fascination of adding one of those C's. Will help us be a better regular season team, but won't help against teams that are bombing from outside like Houston/GS.

My hope is the Cav's blow it up and look to trade Love. Perhaps a 2019 pick, Norm and JV would do it.

Comment

LJ2 wrote: View Post
                I still think Cousins/Gasol type players can't match up against good small ball teams. And really those are the teams ahead of us, so don't see the fascination of adding one of those C's. Will help us be a better regular season team, but won't help against teams that are bombing from outside like Houston/GS.

My hope is the Cav's blow it up and look to trade Love. Perhaps a 2019 pick, Norm and JV would do it.
                Can't trade the 2019 pick since we don't have a 2018 pick. Can only trade the 2019 pick after the 2018 draft ends and that's after the season is over not in season.

Comment

I think Gasol and Conley will be the two stars that will become available. But as others have stated it will be tough to make a pitch.. unless we offer Powell, OG and JV. Memphis may prefer young proven talent (assuming OG can actually prove himself) over draft picks.

There is a a chance that Pops gets tired of Aldridge and moves him.. but they need a PG more than anything else.. and I don't see Masai trading Lowry.

I bet Drummond gets dangled, but we don't need him.

Cousins will remain a Pelican.. I don't know if Cousins himself cares about winning as much as other stars do.. so I don't think he'll ask to get traded. And I don't think the Pells will move him either even if they are in the 9/10/11 spot in the West.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                    Can't trade the 2019 pick since we don't have a 2018 pick. Can only trade the 2019 pick after the 2018 draft ends and that's after the season is over not in season.
                    Going to be tough to make a pitch to a rebuilding team without a pick. Well for all it's worth I think Love fits really well with this roster. We're still a big piece away from moving into the contender level and to get there I think you have to be open to trading Norm and JV. The player returning has to be a 3pt threat, a good rebounder and decent defender.

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                      As we saw last year Ibaka became available midway through the year. Raptors were able to capitalize on this. Out of the names below which player do you think would be more attainable if made available/best fit? My choice is Marc Gasol. Contract fits current time table. Has experience playing with on Spain. Expanded his game to being a respectable 3 point shooter. I don't think many teams will be willing to offer a lot because of his age. Would love for Yak to learn from Gasol.

Marc Gasol

Paul George

Demarcus Cousins

If you have other names in mind, please add.
                      Definitely Gasol and Cousins for sure... I think George stays put. I would also like to get Gasol.

Comment

Going to be tough to make a pitch to a rebuilding team without a pick. Well for all it's worth I think Love fits really well with this roster. We're still a big piece away from moving into the contender level and to get there I think you have to be open to trading Norm and JV. The player returning has to be a 3pt threat, a good rebounder and decent defender.
                        Love and ibaka would be deadly....

Comment

Yep which is why I was annoyed by the Carroll move. We could've just retained him for one more year and then moved him or used him as a salary ballast when he was expiring. Just handing over a mid-late 1st and a very early 2nd like that was dumb, but I get that MLSE has told Masai he can't go into the tax.

Comment

I feel like a package like that could get a Marc Gasol. If Norm has the breakout year I'm expecting. Just dont think centers have thaf much value right now. If we use the DMC trade as example. I think a package of Norm/JV/Bebe(match salaries) could get it done. No pick but, get 3 young good players for a center exiting thier prime. Marc fits all those criteria you mention.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
                            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post
                              Love and ibaka would be deadly....
                              Yeah that's almost a perfect fit but really I don't even see what we'd offer that Cleveland would want for Love if they blew it up.

I brought up Melo because his value is really low and the Knicks are basically trying to get "not nothing" for him, so he's the only realistic target of the 4 guys that have been mentioned (Gasol, Cousins, Melo, Love).

Comment

Working...
                              X