Miles ahead - "pure" shooting on the Raptors wing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LJ2 wrote: View Post
    I don't have Dell's stats in front of me, but I remember him being way more of a consistent 3 point shooter than Miles. More of a pure shooter in comparison to Miles' streaky shooting.
    That's the thing, I don't know how much we can consider a streaky shooter like CJ our best shooter. I put a lot more stock in consistency than anything else. But maybe that's just me
    I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

Dell Curry with Toronto : .390 3P%, .444 2P%

C. J. Miles with Toronto : .391 3P%, .444 2P%

So almost identical except Miles is putting up 12.5 3's per 36. Curry in his 3 years only 6.3, with 8 attempts per 36 the 1st year his high (and also a career high). This results in:

Dell Curry with Toronto : .524 TS% with a max of .542% his 1st year

C. J. Miles with Toronto : .578 TS%
      If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

LJ2 wrote: View Post
        I don't have Dell's stats in front of me, but I remember him being way more of a consistent 3 point shooter than Miles. More of a pure shooter in comparison to Miles' streaky shooting.
        Amazing fact: Players a person likes are always better and more consistent when that person doesn't have that players stats in front of them.
        If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

Dell would be putting up a lot more shots per game in the current style of the NBA.

Comment

on the subject of consistency, Nylon Calculus covered that over the All Star break.

Player Consistency can be calculated for any number of stats from basic points per game to something more complicated like DRE (Daily RAPM Estimate). Since we want to measure a player’s overall consistency, I looked at four different linear weights metrics that attempt to capture the total value of a player within a single game: DRE, John Hollinger’s Game Score, Nathan’s SPR and David Lewin and Dan Rosenbaum’s Alternate Win Score (AWS). I also computed the average consistency of the four metrics which was then converted into a percentile (higher means more consistent)
            The most inconsistent player by this method? Klay Thompson. Another near the bottom is JJ Redick

There are quite a few 3-point shooters who show up as among the least consistent players. Specifically, the lower usage 3-point shooters like Danny Green or Josh Richardson. It’d be interesting to look into whether the lower usage 3-point shooters are less consistent in overall impact but that is a study for another time.
            As for Miles, he's actually been pretty consistent by this method, in the 87th percentile of consistency.

https://fansided.com/2018/02/21/nylo...r-consistency/

Comment

Miles is the best

Comment

Man, I’ve been salivating, waiting for the moment when we’d start using CJ in catch & shoots like Korver or Ray Allen, as a regular first option in crunch time. This would open up so much, and get the defense scrambling. But reading Demar’s post-game quotes, it vaguely sounds like using CJ in crunch time is going to be more like a once in a while type of thing.
                Last edited by golden; Sat Mar 3, 2018, 04:36 PM.

Comment

CJ touch-and-shoot Miles

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
                    Man, I’ve been salivating, waiting for the moment when we’d start using CJ in catch & shoots like Korver or Ray Allen, as a regular first option in crunch time. This would open up so much, and get the defense scrambling. But reading Demar’s post-game quotes, it vaguely sounds like using CJ in crunch time is going to be more like a once in a while type of thing.
                    Well we cannot rely on Lowry for that, that's for sure. When he doesn't have it, he still thinks about shooting it.

Comment

Streakiness and consistency is hard to capture in stats. When you are able to watch a player for years you just know. Some guys (and Klay Thompson would certainly be one) are just ridiculous when they get hot and ordinary when not. As this is CJs first year with us we (and Casey too) don't yet have a good feel for just HOW streaky he is. Last night's falling away corner jumper and extra deep quick release shot were marks of a guy who has that thing. The question is how much leeway he should have to keep jacking them up when he's missed a few. I don't see him becoming a true cornerstone of this offence but his threat alone makes him valuable. He also seems to be a character guy who is great with the youngsters.

Comment

Working...
                      X