Game #3: Toronto Raptors 97 - San Antonio Spurs 101

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DanH wrote: View Post
    Yeah, Serge catching fire was the main driver for that. That said, I don't much care why the team always destroys the opposition when good BeBe is on the floor, I just hope it keeps up while JV is out.
    I care I like destroying the opposition.
    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
      Why don't we care about this? If it's one of our best lineups shouldn't we be looking at ways to replicate it or stretch it out over longer periods of the game? Maybe not necessarily with Bebe specifically but there has to be something significant to that.
      Well, the vast majority of the time BeBe has been destroying other teams has been in bench units led by Lowry and anchored by Pat - which tend to destroy teams with or without BeBe around. So I don't think it is significant. Also, note my careful wording - when "good" BeBe is on the floor. That guy often does not show up, and it led to him being run right out of the rotation last year in spite of how effective those bench units were with "good" BeBe playing.

But hey, if after 20 games or so, we're seeing BeBe in starting lineups that consistently smack teams around with large samples? Absolutely that's a discussion that needs to be had.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
        Yeah, Serge catching fire was the main driver for that. That said, I don't much care why the team always destroys the opposition when good BeBe is on the floor, I just hope it keeps up while JV is out.
        The question is how sustainable is "good Bebe"? We got a larger sample size last year and the answer was "not very". But, I'm still a Bebe-liever.

Hopefully, he's improved this year and at the very least, he should be motivated by not getting that extension and seeing Poeltl leap over him in the rotation.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
          There are a number of members on this board who will tell you the team can operate quite well without JV. Just move Serge or Jacob to the center spot. Now we get to find out.
          If Serge is going to play C, I think I would rather see Pascal start next to him in this particular matchup. Spurs big men can operate in the post so you need someone a bit more physical than Jacob I think. Hopefully JP steps up though.

Comment

Fun with super duper small sample sizes!

Most of you probably know that I track each game in terms of the strength of opposition, back to backs and home court advantage, and use that to a) evaluate the team's performance adjusting for those factors and b) use that evaluation to project the rest of the season.

Usually I start that 20 or so games in, so that each team has a decent sample size to get a baseline net rating that describes the actual team rather than just variance in play. This year, to get a jump, I worked backwards from my projections for the season (based on WS, BPM and RPM) to get some dummy ratings for each team, so I can look at the team's performance from day one and evaluate it as we go.

So, in the first two games, the Raptors have posted a +24 and +30 net rating. But, you say, that was against garbage teams. Yes! And adjusting for the garbage teams and for the Raptors' home court advantage in those games, we end up with +15 and +23 net ratings. Which means the team has performed like a 76 win team so far. Yay!

Look forward to that regressing soon, but still, small sample size theatre is nothing if not dramatic.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

rocwell wrote: View Post
              Is this a first-ever trade request on Social Media?

Maybe he was just at a lame party when he tweeted this

Comment

Liking the Raps tonight on the road....

Pau Gasol is now officially older than dirt and Aldridge is on the downward curve...Dejounte Murray is yet another Spurs find late in the draft but he isn’t Tony Parker....Mills and Granger are solid players ....and oh yeah...no Leonard tonight...

So in aggregate, the Spurs even with Pop patrolling the sidelines, look beatable.

Raps get the W tonight.
                There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                - TGO

Comment

Demographic Shift wrote: View Post

Pau Gasol is now officially older than dirt and Aldridge is on the downward curve...Dejounte Murray is yet another Spurs find late in the draft but he isn’t Tony Parker....Mills and Granger are solid players ....and oh yeah...no Leonard tonight...

So in aggregate, the Spurs even with Pop patrolling the sidelines, look beatable.

Raps get the W tonight.
                  Granger? Also Aldridge is playing very good so far this season so I don't know about downward curve just yet. Spurs are finally letting him play his game. But I feel good about us tonight as well
                  I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

Kawhi and Parker out. Raps should win this game.
                    Mamba Mentality

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
                      Kawhi and Parker out. Raps should win this game.
                      Yeah, even with JV out (which will make defending and rebounding inside interesting), the Raps should have a good chance at this one. Been lucky so far with opponents missing time. Need to take advantage.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
                        Also just noticed #AllEyesNorth is the Timberwolves' hashtag. That's a blatant rip off and it's pretty terrible.
                        This was equally cringe-worthy.

Edit: And let's not forget this monstrosity.

Last edited by Nilanka; Mon Oct 23, 2017, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Demographic Shift wrote: View Post

Raps get the W tonight.
                          yet still, vegas says raps will lose!

Comment

I'm loving this every-other-day gameday schedule so far this year. It breaks after Friday (no weekend games), then resumes for 6 more games before another two day break.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

No news on a steph curry suspension yet..amir johnson got 1 game for the exact same thing 5 years ago...IMO it should be more, you don't throw things at the referees, especially covered in your saliva. Probably won't be a 2 game suspension but if it was we'd continue our streak of a team not having one of its top dogs vs us
                              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
                                The question is how sustainable is "good Bebe"? We got a larger sample size last year and the answer was "not very". But, I'm still a Bebe-liever.

Hopefully, he's improved this year and at the very least, he should be motivated by not getting that extension and seeing Poeltl leap over him in the rotation.
                                I really hope he saw a sports psychologist this offseason. When things didn't go his way last year, he had the worst body language of any player I've seen, hanging his head and sulking. He never seemed to play better afterward in any game I remember, and usually when that happened his play went into a death spiral.

His rim protection can be awesome when he's on, but he really needs toughness, physical to improve his rebounding but the mental toughness to deal with adversity even more so.
                                If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

Working...
                                X