Dwane Casey's inability to draw up crunch time plays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LOL:
    Here we have Boston's Jaylen Brown, giving Derozan a 90% chance on the last shot:
    “To be honest,” Brown said, “that’s a shot DeMar DeRozan probably hits nine times out of 10.”
    Derozan himself? Well he doesn't give a number, but making it while sleeping sounds pretty high!
    Echoed DeRozan: “I make that in my sleep.”
    Teammate and buddy in crime Kyle Lowry weighs in at a more conservative 80%:
    “He’s going to make it eight out of 10 times,” said Raptors teammate Kyle Lowry.
    Coach and father figure Dwane Casey? Well let me tell you, his numbers call it a 99.9% accurate shot!
    “I thought it was a great look,” added Toronto head coach Dwane Casey. “He shook him, he was wide open, vaulted up, and I’ll take that shot 999 times out of 1,000.”

Ah, and then reality: slightly UNDER 50% (which isn't that bad, just makes exaggeration hilarious)
    According to Basketball-Reference.com, DeRozan has hit 42.7 percent of 2-point jumpers from 10-16 feet for his career (the NBA called it a 10-footer). The last two seasons he has been close to 50 percent from that range. Considering the level of difficulty for a lot of his attempts, that’s great accuracy, but not quite automatic.
    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
      LOL:
      Here we have Boston's Jaylen Brown, giving Derozan a 90% chance on the last shot:

Derozan himself? Well he doesn't give a number, but making it while sleeping sounds pretty high!

Coach and father figure Dwane Casey? Well let me tell you, his numbers call it a 99.9% accurate shot!

Ah, and then reality: slightly UNDER 50% (which isn't that bad, just makes exaggeration hilarious)
      Casey may have many flaws but don’t add on misleading ones. Him saying that he’d want demar to take that 999 out of 1000 times doesn’t mean he thinks it goes in that often. It just means that’s one of the higher percentage options he has on this team so he’d be happy to go with it

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
        LOL:

The 42.7% probably drops even further when considering crunch time (i.e. final 2 minutes) and on the road.

Comment

I don’t understand what else can this coach do.

Either the inbounder dumps the ball to Lowry for Lowry to pass to Derozan or the other way around. Most of the time the play ends with either hoisting a Hail Mary.

Against Lowry, the opposing defense would bring out a lanky defender preventing him from driving and shooting the three.

Against Derozan, the opposing defense would pawn their best defender and knowing that Derozan doesn’t have the range, they would just pack the midrange area, making it difficult for Demar to get an open jumper from his sweet spot.

These late game scenarios has happened time and time again.

Ujiri is to blame for this debacle. This is his making. This culture reset is another off season talking point for non believers to at least take another peek. When it’s all said and done, this is a team stuck in the mud.

Comment

Jclaw wrote: View Post
            Casey may have many flaws but don’t add on misleading ones. Him saying that he’d want demar to take that 999 out of 1000 times doesn’t mean he thinks it goes in that often. It just means that’s one of the higher percentage options he has on this team so he’d be happy to go with it
            Nah, I'm pretty sure Casey truly believes that shot is that accurate

Comment

This was a really good non-ISO end of game play drawn up by Casey.....

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
                This was a really good non-ISO end of game play drawn up by Casey.....

Are you trying to kill this thread? lol

I was enjoying reading all the overreactions.

Demar had a good look and the shot didn't fall. Serge had the rebound but he got a sudden case of butter fingers.

Would've broke the Chowderheads green hearts...... but it was not to be.

A good look from your best player/All-star is all one can ask.....No guarantee anyone else woulda made a shot or even get one off.

Maybe it's not as complex as the plays in your wet dreams but Demar had a good look and it's about 50/50 it goes in (looking at recent history).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

special1 wrote: View Post
                  Are you trying to kill this thread? lol

I was enjoying reading all the overreactions.

Demar had a good look and the shot didn't fall. Serge had the rebound but he got a sudden case of butter fingers.

Would've broke the Chowderheads green hearts...... but it was not to be.

A good look from your best player/All-star is all one can ask.....No guarantee anyone else woulda made a shot or even get one off.

Maybe it's not as complex as the plays in your wet dreams but Demar had a good look and it's about 50/50 it goes in (looking at recent history).

Like many have said, the issue really isn't the last second play, it's the predictability of play calling / ISO for the last 5 or so minutes that people hoped would change this year. Even moreseo, it's the overall slippage back to the style of play that's not going to work in the playoffs again that is troubling after all the culture reset corporate speak from Masai.

This thread is a red herring as a means to vent about a loss and should really be merged with the #FireCasey thread. A highly avoidable loss to the hated Chowders makes everybody a bit ornery. Casey's been overall ok this year, but he does deserve grief for some very questionable game management yesterday.

Comment

Most of you are looking for answers in all the wrong places. The end of game play calling IS inconsistent with the rest of the NBA, and could have worked if JV was standing there instead of Ibaka, but I digress.

The Raptors lost because we got manhandled in the turnover and rebounding department. Combine those 2, and you have Boston shooting 87 times vs the Raptors shooting 69 times. That is quite clearly a recipe for disaster. Amazing we lost by just 1.

Boston is scrappy and has been doing this to everybody, but our supporting cast failed to answer the bell today without Irving's offense. Lowry and Derozan did there thing, but after that the next highest scorer was CJ Miles with 10. Ibaka shooting 4 freaking times in 30 minutes is unacceptable. I thought this new supporting cast wouldn't shy from the moment as much as the old guard, but the early results are troubling.
                    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
                      Like many have said, the issue really isn't the last second play, it's the predictability of play calling / ISO for the last 5 or so minutes that people hoped would change this year. Even moreseo, it's the overall slippage back to the style of play that's not going to work in the playoffs again that is troubling after all the culture reset corporate speak from Masai.

This thread is a red herring as a means to vent about a loss and should really be merged with the #FireCasey thread. A highly avoidable loss to the hated Chowders makes everybody a bit ornery. Casey's been overall ok this year, but he does deserve grief for some very questionable game management yesterday.
                      Agreed about the questionable game management.

More CJ and less FVV in crunch time. More Poetl and less Bebe/JV.....are the obvious ones IMO.

Comment

"Our clutch time ORTG this year ranks 21st (overall offence is 5th)."

I mean all samples are small at this time of year, but this sample is particularly small. Not as bad as Barolt's very handpicked Demar clutch time stat in his main page story, but still probably too small to have any sort of meaning.
                        That is a normal collar. Move on, find a new slant.

Comment

The ISO issue isnt crunch time but almost half a quarter. Dont mind Demar taking the last shot in a close game. Dont like him taking that shot after 5 consecutive minutes of 5 on 1

Comment

Other Scott wrote: View Post
                            "Our clutch time ORTG this year ranks 21st (overall offence is 5th)."

I mean all samples are small at this time of year, but this sample is particularly small. Not as bad as Barolt's very handpicked Demar clutch time stat in his main page story, but still probably too small to have any sort of meaning.
                            It has little meaning when it comes to projections, but it reflects perfectly of what has transpired so far this season.

Comment

Clutch time per nba.com is the last five minutes of the fourth within 5 points. We're 23rd in the league on offence, 19th on D, and 24th net.

Contenders in the top 10: Warriors 1, Spurs 4, Cavs 8.
                              Celtics are 9th, Rockets 23rd and the Thunder are 30th with an amazing -49.8 rating.

By way of comparison, we were 8th in the NBA last year. Three of our most clutch guys (Tucker, Joseph, Patterson) are gone.
                              http://stats.nba.com/players/clutch-...mID=1610612761

Still, sample size is small.

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
                                Clutch time per nba.com is the last five minutes of the fourth within 5 points. We're 23rd in the league on offence, 19th on D, and 24th net.

Contenders in the top 10: Warriors 1, Spurs 4, Cavs 8.
                                Celtics are 9th, Rockets 23rd and the Thunder are 30th with an amazing -49.8 rating.

By way of comparison, we were 8th in the NBA last year. Three of our most clutch guys (Tucker, Joseph, Patterson) are gone.
                                http://stats.nba.com/players/clutch-...mID=1610612761

Still, sample size is small.
                                Interestingly enough, JV had the best defensive rating of any Raptor in the clutch last year (that is still on the roster and with a relevant sample size). And it's a sample of 30 games in his case. I mean, he kind of always looked better in the clutch to me on D than over the entire game, but I didn't realize he was that good. One more thing the coaching staff needs to look at when looking for a closing lineup.

Comment

Working...
                                X