Game #20: Toronto Raptors 126 - Charlotte Hornets 113

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DanH wrote: View Post
    I wrote an article on the complex situation around the starting lineup, if anyone is interested.

https://www.raptorshq.com/2017/11/28...as-serge-ibaka

There's depth to it that is tough to capture on a board post. Collects and explains the difficulties I envision when discussing changes to the starting lineup.
    Hey Dan, I'm wondering if it's possible to see if there's a difference in the TO% when we're force feeding our bigs vs the rest of the game. Might shine some light on your theory of us turning the ball over more due to force feeding and getting caught flat-footed on the fastbreak.
    "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

hotfuzz wrote: View Post
      Hey Dan, I'm wondering if it's possible to see if there's a difference in the TO% when we're force feeding our bigs vs the rest of the game. Might shine some light on your theory of us turning the ball over more due to force feeding and getting caught flat-footed on the fastbreak.
      Really hard to draw more complex lines than by quarter. But we turn the ball over at rates of 14.5%, 14.3%, 16.3%, and 14.4% by quarter. Hmm, but that would include the bench minutes...

OK, just for when KL-DD-SI-JV are on (15.5% turnover rate overall), the turnover rates are (keep in mind the 4th is SSS, more so than the other Q's):
      1st: 17.8%
      2nd: 10.3%
      3rd: 16.4%
      4th: 13.5%

Hey, good catch. Spot on, by the looks of it.

And feeding into fast break defence:

Quarter | Opponent fast break points per 36 minutes (with KL-DD-SI-JV on court)
      1st: 11.0
      2nd: 4.0
      3rd: 11.1
      4th: 10.7

That 2nd Q looking a lot better for transition defence, which makes sense.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post
        I hear Lebron James got his first erection tonight. Good for him.
        Guy is a stiff...
        There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
        - TGO

Comment

Game day! Man these long breaks are going to kill me. Good for the team though.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Lebron definitely got hacked on the play and most players would be screaming at the ref about it. I don’t think it’s a big deal he got ejected. I wish in general guys weren’t such babies about not getting calls. If you don’t complain you will get call because the refs respect you.

Comment

GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post
              I hear Lebron James got his first erection tonight. Good for him.
              Wait, how does he have kids then?
              "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

Really hard to draw more complex lines than by quarter. But we turn the ball over at rates of 14.5%, 14.3%, 16.3%, and 14.4% by quarter. Hmm, but that would include the bench minutes...

OK, just for when KL-DD-SI-JV are on (15.5% turnover rate overall), the turnover rates are (keep in mind the 4th is SSS, more so than the other Q's):
                1st: 17.8%
                2nd: 10.3%
                3rd: 16.4%
                4th: 13.5%

Hey, good catch. Spot on, by the looks of it.

And feeding into fast break defence:

Quarter | Opponent fast break points per 36 minutes (with KL-DD-SI-JV on court)
                1st: 11.0
                2nd: 4.0
                3rd: 11.1
                4th: 10.7

That 2nd Q looking a lot better for transition defence, which makes sense.
                Hmmm....good stuff. So, essentially, stop force feeding the bigs and let the ball move naturally? Might put a bit of a stop to these huge deficits they go in.
                "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

hotfuzz wrote: View Post
                  Hmmm....good stuff. So, essentially, stop force feeding the bigs and let the ball move naturally? Might put a bit of a stop to these huge deficits they go in.
                  We have backed off with JV. Last year he posted up every 7.07 minutes he was on the floor - 220 postups. This year it's every 9.74 minutes - 31 postups. In the large sample last year he turned it over 12% of the time. This year in the small sample it's 22.6 TO%. Those are usually live ball TO's which result in transition opportunities.
                  If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                    We have backed off with JV. Last year he posted up every 7.07 minutes he was on the floor - 220 postups. This year it's every 9.74 minutes - 31 postups. In the large sample last year he turned it over 12% of the time. This year in the small sample it's 22.6 TO%. Those are usually live ball TO's which result in transition opportunities.
                    It's not just post ups, either, but pick and rolls where the pass isn't there, and straight up isolations from way out, which are madness. Team needs to stop with the my turn your turn and start getting into their sets and letting the defence decide who will score.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                      It's not just post ups, either, but pick and rolls where the pass isn't there, and straight up isolations from way out, which are madness. Team needs to stop with the my turn your turn and start getting into their sets and letting the defence decide who will score.
                      How much of it is him actually trying to move the ball more? While still low, his assist numbers and % are up a lot, 50% over his career averages. Unfortunately his turnovers are also up proportionately.

Edit: I'm looking at per 36 bc of his minutes reduction.
                      "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Comment

c-troop wrote: View Post
                          but why do we need 2 guards?
                          Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

Yeah, Miami would be all over that trade.
                            If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
                              How much of it is him actually trying to move the ball more? While still low, his assist numbers and % are up a lot, 50% over his career averages. Unfortunately his turnovers are also up proportionately.

Edit: I'm looking at per 36 bc of his minutes reduction.
                              JV's only had 4 bad pass TO's vs 26 last yr, but 10 lost ball vs 28 last yr.

Comment

MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                                but why do we need 2 guards?
                                I do not have that answer for you. we have similar depth at the 3 currently, and Belli could play 3 too, maybe.

To be honest a 3 way works way better with those 3 teams after December 14 because all teams have more pieces to fiddle around with.

But something along those lines would be bless.

***More shooters.***
                                Last edited by c-troop; Wed Nov 29, 2017, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X