Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: ESPN panel on the Raptors

Raptors Republic Rookie meductic's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote psrs1 wrote: View Post
    TRex is right. Only way to gain respect is to show up in playoffs. The league should show more Raptors games nationally based on their record—Minnesota has had several Christmas Day appearances—on some level league should “force “ networks to take some of our games. Either our franchise is a part of the league or not—if based on their actions we are not truly considered part of the league we should disband our franchise.
    Is this serious? Disband the franchise. Oh my. First there is not being shown/ no one sees the games/ does not effect the ratings. Second is they disappear in the playoffs. Thirdly is, yes, they are Winnepeg. But added to these is that they have become Canada's team. Every time a playoff crowd shows up in the square proclaiming them as Canada's team their appeal to American audiences drops. MLSE know's they can't have it both ways and Masai has gone full in on the Canadian flag. I assume everyone know's they elected a nationalist extremist as President. Do you really think they are going to cheer for Canada's team?

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I think we all know the NBA is rigged and as a result the raptors will never get passed the conference finals, infact Im suprised the nba let us get that far. Makes sense why the Cavs made sure to let boston get the 1 seed one year later.
    there is a reason why the refs are making bad calls or non-calls with players like Giannias and Lebron james are involved, or teams like Boston and GSW.

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    That's a pretty key point that gets lost in Raptorland. The reality is that teams like Memphis (good for a long time), Atlanta (solid playoff team for a long time), etc. also got little to no love from the league and its tv partners. Even the Spurs were only grudgingly granted exposure (I'm old enough to remember all the hand wringing about them being in teh Finals driving down ratings) but I notice that we're seeing less and less of them the last couple of years. When the Warriors fade, as every team does, they'll be tossed onto the heap of generic teams as well to make room for more Knicks and Lakers games.

Toronto has some unique challenges as the only Canadian team and I don't deny that but I also get tired of the woe is Toronto crap - the organization has finally stopped with it since Ujiri showed up and it's time for the fans to do the same.
    This x100, and also over-reacting by Toronto fans whenever the US media says something that could even slightly be construed as negative towards us. Like even when they are heaping praise on us, Raptor fans tend to focus on the glass 1% empty comment of the article or panel discussion.

4. Like meductic liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar 3inthekeon's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote wall-e wrote: View Post
    I think we all know the NBA is rigged and as a result the raptors will never get passed the conference finals, infact Im suprised the nba let us get that far. Makes sense why the Cavs made sure to let boston get the 1 seed one year later.
    there is a reason why the refs are making bad calls or non-calls with players like Giannias and Lebron james are involved, or teams like Boston and GSW.
    This post sounds bizarre to put it nicely.
    If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer KeonClark's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
    This post sounds bizarre to put it nicely.
    At the risk of joining him in the loonie bin, I too suspect the league is rigged at a certain point. See kings, Sacramento in 2002. See mavericks, Dallas in 2006. See jazz, Utah in 1998. And see raptors, toronto in 2014.
    11/20/16 Lest we forget - The Sacramento Screw Job.
    We will not go quietly in the night. We will rage against the dying light. We will study every buzzer beater with intensified might, because somethin with the NBA doesn't smell right.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote KeonClark wrote: View Post
    At the risk of joining him in the loonie bin, I too suspect the league is rigged at a certain point. See kings, Sacramento in 2002. See mavericks, Dallas in 2006. See jazz, Utah in 1998. And see raptors, toronto in 2014.
    There's always space on this board for for a few Kyrie's.
    If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

8. Like S.R., KeonClark liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There's always space on this board for for a few Kyrie's.
    If it makes them dollars, it almost always makes sense
    We will not go quietly in the night. We will rage against the dying light. We will study every buzzer beater with intensified might, because somethin with the NBA doesn't smell right.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

What happened in these 2 instances?

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't believe there are still people who care what the likes of Paul Pearce and Jalen Rose think....they are US based commenters, you can't expect them to be unbiased. They are never going to speak highly of the Raps against ratings favourites in the Cavs, Celts, GSW etc. even if they are (ever) comparable on the court. And I couldn't care less.

As I said previously, my interest starts where elite players don't want to sign here for whatever reason; taxes, airports/border, weather, raising kids in a "foreign" country etc more than whether we play on Christmas, get on ESPN ....

Cleveland couldn't attract good players unless LeBron hung his shingle there. Same for GSW as they developed a great core.
    Toronto should be higher up as a destination to play than Detroit, MN, Utah, Milwaukee, Indiana, Charlotte, Orlando, Atl, Minnesota, OKC and Utah at least. All imo

The better team we become, the more you can add to that list. Then worry about what some little ESPN talking heads think.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    What happened in these 2 instances?
    2006 Dallas was up 2 games to none on the Heat featuring Shaq and one of the leagues Golden Geese, Dwyane "flash" Wade as he was called at the time. The parade to the foul line and phantom calls began. Wade took 74 free throws in the final 4 games I believe 24 in the final game. Many of them non existent, especially the final call against Nowitzki. Google 2006 NBA finals rigged.

1998 was known for the final play that clinched it for the golden goose Michael Jordan. Blatant foul on Byron Russell before the shot that lived in infamy. No way the league would allow Utah to ruin the magical storybook.

Plus look at these refs. They look like henchman or low level mob guys in a movie. I wouldn't trust them to fix my car

Capiche??
    Last edited by KeonClark; Thu Jan 4th, 2018 at 03:55 PM.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer TRex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Fake news

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone here ever ref organized basketball? I did many years ago in high school. Much more difficult than it looks from a La-Z-Boy.

Raptors Republic All-Star jacobdr4's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone here ever ref organized basketball? I did many years ago in high school. Much more difficult than it looks from a La-Z-Boy.
    Just for a little side job I used to ref Jr. High Girls basketball one year, it was so hard. Travels on every possession, it was just choosing how blatant a travel you were deciding you were going to call.

Post Thanks / Like

Did you instantly acquire slicked back greasy hair and a gold tooth?

Post Thanks / Like

2006 Dallas was up 2 games to none on the Heat featuring Shaq and one of the leagues Golden Geese, Dwyane "flash" Wade as he was called at the time. The parade to the foul line and phantom calls began. Wade took 74 free throws in the final 4 games I believe 24 in the final game. Many of them non existent, especially the final call against Nowitzki. Google 2006 NBA finals rigged.

1998 was known for the final play that clinched it for the golden goose Michael Jordan. Blatant foul on Byron Russell before the shot that lived in infamy. No way the league would allow Utah to ruin the magical storybook.

Capiche??
    I'm willing to write off the Dallas situation as an anomaly, or maybe a more aggressive Wade? Not sure why the league would think a Miami championship is the best outcome.

As for Jordan on Russell, I wouldn't call it an obvious push off. Looked like a perfect non-call to me. And does Jordan winning a 5 championships instead of 6, really make a dent in his league-wide legacy? Can't see it. The Bulls were the better team.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote jacobdr4 wrote: View Post
    Just for a little side job I used to ref Jr. High Girls basketball one year, it was so hard. Travels on every possession, it was just choosing how blatant a travel you were deciding you were going to call.
    Ya, I used to ref the odd Grade 7-8 tourney. Travel on every play, bumping on every play, airball on every play, all while parents are heckling you from the stands, lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    I'm willing to write off the Dallas situation as an anomaly, or maybe a more aggressive Wade? Not sure why the league would think a Miami championship is the best outcome.

As for Jordan on Russell, I wouldn't call it an obvious push off. Looked like a perfect non-call to me. And does Jordan winning a 5 championships instead of 6, really make a dent in his league-wide legacy? Can't see it. The Bulls were the better team.
    I'll wrap it up like this: it's really one of 2 things

A) the league manipulates SOME outcomes to create bigger stars, teams, stories, and untold millions for its wealthy old white billionaires that run it

Or

B) the league is so interested in fair competitive contests, integrity, plus the fan and the athlete that they would never dream of interfering, even if the result costs their old rich white billionaires untold millions

Huh. Everyone calls the conspiracy guy crazy. I think it's even crazier to bury your head in the sand and be unwilling to consider it.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

But if you don't see it, don't call it.

Too many calls are reaction calls to head jerking, screaming out in fake pain and flops. Throw is calls based on the name on the jersey and whistles in the air before there is even any contact (sometimes when there even is none, hence the phantom call) and you have what most fans are pizzed about.

Raptors Republic Superstar slaw's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

In university I reffed as a side job for some spending money. The top level I ever officiated was CIAU (Canadian university for non-Canadians) but mostly I did high school and some college. I would say that there were certain refs that had it in for certain teams or players and other guys who had obvious biases - whether it was in favour of home teams or the better looking girls or certain styles. There were also guys who were just crappy. And then there were the 'vets' who would get called in to ref certain games and they were there cause the powers that be wanted the game reffed in a particular way. I would guess that, to some degree, it's the same in the NBA.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote S.R. wrote: View Post
    How much national hockey coverage do the Winnipeg Jets get? That's a top 5 team in the NHL, they have two top 20 goal scorers (Leafs have one), they're Canadian, but Toronto/Montreal/Vancouver/Edmonton/Calgary all get national HNIC games ahead of them.

There's your answer. As far as US national basketball media is concerned, Toronto is Winnipeg.
    At the risk of derailing this thread a little: If Winnipeg was in the Mountain Time zone, it would probably get HNIC priority about equal to Edmonton and Calgary. The problem with Winnipeg in regards to HNIC games is that their home games won't usually start late enough to be part of a doubleheader, and no western team, as it currently stands, has enough drawing power in the more populous central Canadian to displace a ratings-gold Toronto or Montreal game.

It's a pretty great year to be a Jets fans otherwise, though. Would be pretty happy to see a Leafs-Jets Stanley Cup final even though the US TV execs would be very unhappy about an all-Canadian final without even the marketable name of a McDavid.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information