Game #41: Golden State Warriors 127 - Toronto Raptors 125

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KHD wrote: View Post
    pretty much any non-guard who played for the raptors for the previous 5 years had "laughably bad" passing numbers.

there wasn't any cutters to see in previous years.
    This is the chicken and egg argument. We did cut at times, but when you have multiple tunnel vision players on the court cutting is pretty useless since they're rarely seen, much less passed to. Hell this board used to freak out constantly with JV standing wide open down low and our guards (DD especially) would jack up some contested shot. If they couldn't see a teammate standing wide open, you expect them to see cutters?
    If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• Zainab wrote: View Post
      Anyways, good night. Tried to save us with my GT but next man up!!

I am done ranting
      Nice job, Z. 2 toughest games of the year and you almost went 2-0. Save some of that magic for the playoffs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• wow, that was a fun game. Proud of this team for the second half effort and for taking it down to the wire after being trampled in the 1st half by one of the best teams ever assembled. The thing that stands out for me though, was later in the 3rd, the raps had whittled away the lead to a mere 9 pts. And then, Kerr reinserted Draymond back into the lineup and the Warriors closed the quarter to a 19 pt lead. After getting that lead down to single digits, only to have your opponent go on a run to close the quarter and extend the lead back to 19, would have broken the backs of most teams. most teams would have folded then, not believing they could come back against a team that at any point could hit multiple consecutive contested 3 pointers. But the Raps didn't fold. They played even harder and better and ultimately had a chance to take this game. That was great to see.

Other notes: This team needs to do more to get CJ better looks. Dude has a green light and he isn't shy about shooting, which is great, but he takes too many long 3's and the Raps need to find a way to get him cleaner looks.
        Also, in the last minute or so, we saw a Demar ISO that resulted in a contested jumpshot that just clanged out, and following that we saw multiple screens on the perimeter with ball movement that resulted in a highly contested 3 from CJ that missed too. Neither play was very good, and the Raps need better options to produce buckets in close games. That being said, a Demar ISO is probably just as good as any other option we have right now, given Demar's improved abilities.
        Serge needs to move the ball. It seems that often when Serge gets the ball near the paint on a post up or what not, then that is the final outcome of the action. Everything seems to stop for the rest of the team and Serge often takes a poor shot. Part of the issue is with Serge for not moving the ball enough, but it feels like some possessions are dedicated to getting Serge a shot to the point where even if he isn't in position to take a good shot, all action has stopped for the team and Serge has no options to pass the ball out and ends up forcing a bad shot. The Raps need to keep moving in these situations and keep the offence flowing to allow Serge outlet opportunities. We've done a really great job this year with the ball movement and avoiding a stagnant offence, but things break down far too often when Serge is expected to be the shot taker.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
          Nice job, Z. 2 toughest games of the year and you almost went 2-0. Save some of that magic for the playoffs.

Traditions are important but I'd make an exception in this case and nominate Z for the Philly thread

Comment

• ^ Yeah, we need to run CJ off multiple screens like Korver as a first option way more often. Get the defense scrambling. CJ is absolute money off a catch & shoot, regardless of how tight he’s being defended. If we get defenders worried about CJ, then DD and Lowry will have a field day.

Comment

• Why is the game tomorrow so early? US Holiday?
              OG is our king

Comment

• consmap wrote: View Post
                Why is the game tomorrow so early? US Holiday?
                MLK day in US...
                There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                - TGO

Comment

• Um..

Comment

• Beat the Cavs by 34, and lose by 2 against the Warriors. I'll take it

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
                      Um..

nope.

they have worded this vaguely because it's covering the fact that they weren't allowed to make that call.

I hope the raptors put their feet to the fire on this one.
                      Last edited by KHD; Sun Jan 14, 2018, 12:23 PM.

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
                        nope.

they have worded this vaguely because it's covering the fact that they weren't allowed to make that call.

I hope the raptors put their feet to the fire on this one.
                        I had the game on mute last night.. why couldn't they make that call? I thought they could review out of bound plays?

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                          I had the game on mute last night.. why couldn't they make that call? I thought they could review out of bound plays?
                          they can only determine who has last touched the ball before it goes out of bounds (along with a few other things related to the clock). what they explicitly can't do is to look earlier in the play and make a new, different call (derozan out of bounds touching the ball).

This may seem arbitrary but it is kind of the lesser of two evils, otherwise you end up going down a rabbit hole on every sideline play.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                            Anyway the passes he threw OG and Pascal last night impressed the hell out of me. Please JV, keep it up.
                            Me too, that was really refreshing to see. Imo, there are two things that need to happen for him to keep this up: 1. He needs to trust that cutters will be coming routinely when he's doubled, and 2. He needs to trust that he'll get enough touches to afford him to mix-up his offence.

It should be a playmaking rule than any time your C is doubled on the post, someone (often your PF) should immediately set up an off-ball screen to your small forward for a cut, while your guards stay beyond the arc on standby for a possible open 3.

Doubling on posted up centres can really cause problems to your D. But teams do that sometimes on JV anyway because he's so difficult to contain there. That's when he needs to recognize that and look for the cutter.

Comment

• Now that result was the definition of a moral victory. What a comeback! And a big ol' middle finger to Tony Brothers.

Comment

• This just has a nice sound to it (from coach Kerr)

“It’s fun to play a team in the other conference that you know has a chance to be there in the end,” he said before the game. “We only are going to see them twice, like Cleveland, Boston, and so when you do get a chance to see these guys you file it away for later, in case. So it’ll be fun.”

https://www.thestar.com/sports/rapto...ket-short.html

Comment

Working...
                                X