Raptors Aren't Likely to Honor Vince After All

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raptors Aren't Likely to Honor Vince After All

While I'm not one of VC's biggest fans, I do still think its a shame that there's a hesitation in honoring him at the ACC because of fear of "the boos". But, the fact is many fans will never forgive how he left this team so not honoring him tomorrow is probably for the best seeing how it would be quite embarrassing for Vince and if you think about it, the fans too. Not really a classy gesture when the crowd is booing someone when they've been given an honor.

Seems to be a lot of palaver around these parts over the so-called “honouring” of HWSNBN tomorrow afternoon.

Last I heard, and it was after midnight last night when the final e-mail exchange took place, was that the Raptors hadn’t heard back from the Magic on whether the guy’s okay with any recognition of any kind.

My guess? No way he goes for it.

And why should he? Really.

He knows he’ll get booed – despite the fact he remains the best player in franchise history and the guy who put the Raptors on the map – and what guy in the world would set himself up for that.

And, besides, this whole recognition thing or whatever is they’re calling it is bogus anyway. Fifteen years is hardly a milestone to celebrate, the ones they did for Oak and Alvin seemed more an afterthought than a ceremony and it’s hardly worth thinking about.
    Source - Click here

I think the way VC forced the franchise to trade him ruined his legacy. You can't just look at the good things he did for the franchise/city/country without also looking at the bad things he did. The fact is VC had 3 great seasons, 2 injury-riddled seasons and 1/4 "unacceptable" season; and as a whole, IMO, they aren't worth honoring.
    RR OG

Comment

Maybe so James, but I can't help to think of the big things he did for this franchise. I'm not defending him, because I don't particularly like him either but we can't ignore that he really did help put this team on the map around the association.

Comment

The timing is not right. His departure still stings and Vince has been a thorn in Raptors side over the years by playing exceptionally well against them and stealing a couple of games away.

In order to honour Vince Carter a few things need to be done first:

A) Vince needs to be retired.

B) Vince needs to come out with a sincere appology to Raptor's fans.

C) The Raptors need to have some success in the playoffs from now until then.

Then people will be in a more forgiven mood.

Lets face it, Vince put the Raptors on the map but then he crapped all over it.

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
          B) Vince needs to come out with a sincere appology to Raptor's fans.
          Problem is, I don't think he feels that he did. Didn't he claim that the injuries he was srtuggled with during that season was the reason for his regression? Not the crystal clear quitting.

Comment

Why does everyone hate on Vince but never for one second questions why he acted the way he did? While he could've handled the situation more professionally it's not like he's the only one in the wrong.

Comment

nubreed000 wrote: View Post
              Why does everyone hate on Vince but never for one second questions why he acted the way he did? While he could've handled the situation more professionally it's not like he's the only one in the wrong.
              Not trying to argue nubreed, but can you give some examples of other players that dogged it a bad as Vince did?

Comment

Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
                Not trying to argue nubreed, but can you give some examples of other players that dogged it a bad as Vince did?
                T-Mac in Houston last year, when he got microfracture surgery right before the deadline and killed any chance of the Rockets trading him at the deadline.

It wasn't as bad as VC, but Shaq's had a couple of ugly moments (showing up slow and out of shape with the Lakers towards the end there comes to mind).

Personally, I think they should do something for Vince... just not now. Not while he's active, while he's playing for another team, while he's playing for another team we have to get by for a playoff spot. Doing something now is boneheaded and sends a bad message around the league - who else would honor an opponent? Wait for him to be retired (and a few years after that, too) and then it'd seem right.

Comment

Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
                  I can't think of any players off the top of my head but I'm referring to the organization, MLSE, management and coaching that played a role in all this too. It's not like VC was the only culprit here. We probably wouldn't be here talking about this if both sides acted with more respect towards one-another.

The worst part of all this is that T.O media (as much as it loves drama) turned Vince into public enemy #1, when he didn't really deserve it.

Comment

When VC told John Thompson in a TNT interview after being traded that "I didn't play his hardest in toronto" (misinterpreted my ass), that's what we'll never forgive or forget!
                    RR OG

Comment

nubreed000 wrote: View Post
                      I can't think of any players off the top of my head but I'm referring to the organization, MLSE, management and coaching that played a role in all this too. It's not like VC was the only culprit here. We probably wouldn't be here talking about this if both sides acted with more respect towards one-another.

The worst part of all this is that T.O media (as much as it loves drama) turned Vince into public enemy #1, when he didn't really deserve it.
                      Well then you don't get it, he does deserve it.

Comment

Katman wrote: View Post
                        Well then you don't get it, he does deserve it.
                        No, I do get it. People in Toronto need somebody to hate to make them feel better about their teams sucking. Management had a role in this as much as Vince, the only difference is that Vince is taking all the blame when he shouldn't. There's a new interview with him from the Score that's pretty good. Read that.

Comment

How he exited no doubt ruined his legacy, I agree. He could have left while maintaining dignity and honor but took the low road. That was his choice. I think the Raptors need to surpass what the Vince Carter era achieved before Vince will be able to enter the ACC without getting booed. As such I think we can say its safe to say that maybe the Raptors 20th anniversary is the best time to consider tipping the hat to him. He may be retired then as well? Who knows these things... I know by then Chris Bosh will have taken over most records held by Carter--- Should Bosh chose to stay.

Comment

Working...
                          X