Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Every day I get more sweet on Avery Bradley. I had hated almost everyone else that had been previously mentioned. Finally a point guard who plays defense and can throw down, how long has it been for the raps? Oh wait, pretty much forever.

Who cares where Bradley is supposed to go, find your guy, stick to him and hope for the best. Good on BC for not drafting size simply for the sake of doing it.

Thier likely going to save money next year, it would be ideal an draft to grab another late first and take one of the many bigs surely to still be on the board.

Comment

i like bradley just fine... i hear comparisons to a less offensively inclined russell westbrook, sign me up!

the other guy i'm high on that few else seem to be is patterson... phdsteve and others are all concerned about his size, and i think that line of thinking is the same reason guys like orton and whiteside rise on draft boards (not knocking orton btw, nobody knows anything about him. but i hear some things that worry me about whiteside) while people second guess proven talents.

i think he was the most consistent player on the best team in the counrtry. he'll produce at the nba level. just like landry or millsap or blair (although admittedly i don't think he has the freakishly long arms of the latter two)

Comment

Most likely Whitside wont be available, if he is im sure the raps would grab him over bradley

Comment

Sounds like Bradley is more of an Eric Gordon type than a point guard. If that's the case, do you keep DeMar and play him at the 3?

Comment

mo-sales wrote: View Post
            Every day I get more sweet on Avery Bradley. I had hated almost everyone else that had been previously mentioned.
            Does everybody remember how sweet we felt about Demar Derozan last year?

Comment

Bradley would be great, especially if we want to try Turk at point Forward (I think PHD Steve mentioned that in the article). More importantly, I think we have to pick a guy who helps us defensively. We have had probably the worst starting point guard in the league (defensively) for years in Jose and I for one would personally love to see us pick a point guard who plays defense first and foremost. If he is terrible on offense, well fine who cares, put him on with Bellineli and see what happens. Plus, it's easier to learn to score than to learn to defend. Very fond of this pick.
              "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                The more I read, the less and less excited I am about the 13th pick. There's really not much I'm liking down there. Bradley is a great defensive player who does not appear to have any PG skills whatsoever, and apparently doesn't create much off the dribble. He's mostly a jumpshooter, which is nice, but not exactly what the Raptors need. I think Bradley as good as anyone in that spot, but I don't think there's anyone you're going to regret taking down there.
                Sounds like a younger version of Kyle Weaver who now sits on the bench for the Thunder, but then the Thunder are a really good team

Being younger maybe Bradley can take his offense to a higher level than Weaver has.
                Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

The more I read, the less and less excited I am about the 13th pick. There's really not much I'm liking down there. Bradley is a great defensive player who does not appear to have any PG skills whatsoever, and apparently doesn't create much off the dribble. He's mostly a jumpshooter, which is nice, but not exactly what the Raptors need. I think Bradley as good as anyone in that spot, but I don't think there's anyone you're going to regret taking down there.

A defensive minded jumpshooting PG would be a nice fit on the Raps. I still have faith that we haven't seen the real Turk. Let him create off the dribble and feed other guys. Bradley would be able to keep opposing guards honest, helping fill a defensive hole we've had for years. A solid potential pick at 13.

Comment

Bradley shot 55% from the free throw line and had an A/T ratio of 1.4 both pretty pathetic for a guard who you expect to be handling the ball.

On top that he shot only 43% from the field including 38% on threes which is about equivalent to 30% or less on NBA three because of the longer distance to the arc in NBA. My guess is that Bradley makes most of his field goals on dunks and layups.

I think that the guy has a big time problem with his shooting mechanics. Maybe Reggie could help him with it if the Raptors do draft Bradley

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player...playerId=46196
                    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

finding a good ast/TO ratio amongst college players is pretty rare though, as the game is so different (way more pressing, trapping, and zone... not to mention way more physical). john walls ratio was only slightly higher (1.625) and evan turners was slightly worse (1.36). i don't put a lot of stock in that number for him because he wasn't a point guard in college (just like westbrook had collison).

anyhow, draft express has a nicle little writeup on him today. apparently he fixed whatever problem he has with "shooting mechanics" in vegas:

Quite possibly the most impressive player in attendance here, Avery Bradley put on an outstanding shooting display in both drills and scrimmages, showing off his picture perfect form while many times making those in attendance wonder if he can miss a shot. In drills, Bradley looked very smooth pulling up off a confident dribble, knocking down a variety of shots, while also showing off his excellent athleticism in transition, putting his 37.5 inch vertical leap to good use.

Where Bradley really impressed though was the scrimmages, where his team rarely lost and he made great use of the floor’s spacing, getting to open spots of the floor with ease, showing no troubles getting separation from his man. With his excellent body control, balance, and elevation, Bradley just needs a glimmer of space to get his shot off, and he showed that especially playing the pick-and-roll game. Bradley hit a variety of pull-up jumpers from the mid-range and from behind the arc, many with a hand in his face, which didn’t seem to do much. He incorporated in some hesitation dribbles and fakes to get separation when his first move didn’t work, but mostly didn’t need it, just being so proficient out of simple pick-and-rolls.
                      source: http://www.draftexpress.com/article/...sketball-3468/

to be fair they do mention him not being too impressive at finding teammates or finishing at the rim.

Comment

The problem with comparing Bradley to Russell Westbrook is that Westbrook does two things that Bradley doesn't. Westbrook attacks the rim relentlessly, Bradley's a floater and likes to shoot from outside. The other thing is that Westbrook did look like he could play PG because he did some and is a selfless player on the offensive end. He wasn't a great passer, but he didn't have a scorers mentality. Bradley does and that's really, REALLY difficult to change. They tried to change Ben Gordon into a PG and realized very quickly that it wont't work. Now keep in mind I'm going a lot on the scouting reports, because I haven't seen a lot of Bradley, but from what I've read, he's going to have a much tougher transition to PG than Westbrook. Chauncey Billups took YEARS and bounced around from team to team, and he had more PG abilities than Bradley does.
                        Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

yeah point well taken, i did call him upthread "less offensively inclined" than westbrook, by which i meant unpolished creator. anyhow if he can play ball-hawking defence and hit jumpers reliably while we have hedo create in the half-court i think he could fit in nicely.

i'm talking myself into him a little more every day

Comment

chris wrote: View Post
                            yeah point well taken, i did call him upthread "less offensively inclined" than westbrook, by which i meant unpolished creator. anyhow if he can play ball-hawking defence and hit jumpers reliably while we have hedo create in the half-court i think he could fit in nicely.

i'm talking myself into him a little more every day
                            I also like what hateslosing mentioned, about pairing him with Belinelli. Belinelli can do the creating for teammates instead of Bradley. Still it's an incredibly risky move to draft him at 13. People keep referring to him as a PG, which he is not. He's a guard, at this point, but one that would defend other PGs.
                            Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Season wrote: View Post
                              Does everybody remember how sweet we felt about Demar Derozan last year?
                              Ya, and he looks like he could still become a very, very good player. I find it hard to believe that people are judging DeRozan, already.
                              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

I also like what hateslosing mentioned, about pairing him with Belinelli. Belinelli can do the creating for teammates instead of Bradley. Still it's an incredibly risky move to draft him at 13. People keep referring to him as a PG, which he is not. He's a guard, at this point, but one that would defend other PGs.
                                but belinelli's already been included in that deal for tayshaun.

also who in the hell is writing off DD after one season?! he's only 20, and he's one of the only players on our team i'm excited about

Comment

Working...
                                X