This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow you two are really going at it.
    Personally, I still like Bradley. I think his best role in the first couple years would be to have Turkoglu start and Bradley come off the bench behind Jack when Turk is on the floor. You guys somehow make it seem like there are set lineups, that the players are in sets of 5 and that's it. Bradley definitely shouldn't be starting or be handed the keys of the PG position from the beginning, but a couple years to learn from Jack, who is a pretty good PG with similar skills (maybe quicker and not as strong) would have him pretty set to handle backup duties. Also, player's (Turk's) passing skills won't deteriorate in 2 or 3 years. He's not really a guy that relies on athleticism, and unless you're arguing that when he gets older his eyesight will start to go, he will still be an effective point forward handling and passing the ball.

Comment

Kennay wrote: View Post
      Wow you two are really going at it.
      Yep. I have even contacted some people via email with the reasons that I think the Raptors should take James.

1. Toughness
      2. Rebounding
      3. Defense
      4. Aggressiveness

All qualities that the Raptors desperately need and wining qualities. Bradley is not tough and does not rebound. I am not sure abut his aggressiveness. In addition he is another project which the Raptors definitely don't need especially if Johnson returns. Three projects with serious minutes is enough no matter what their upside. Time to add some proven college talent that brings the qualities that the Raptors desperately need.

Numbers 1, 2 and 4 almost always translate to the NBA. Think D. Blair for a recent example of this. There is always room to find serious minutes for a player that can has these qualities. The fact that he has shown that he can score in the NCAA against top level competition is just icing on the cake.
      Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
      Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Despite those qualities, James does have downside too. He's a tweener who people aren't sure can play or defend the 4 in the NBA, and the Raptors have a pretty big logjam at the wing positions with none of them really likely to be moved. He's not so NBA ready that he wouldn't still be considered a project. There is a reason he's projected to be a late first-rounder - he's a college senior with not much upside or potential left. Maybe if the Raps had another late first rounder they should pick James, but at 13 Bradley would be a better choice.

Comment

Damion James Stock on the Rise? Lottery?

Damion James Stock on the Rise? Lottery?

Chad Ford of ESPN wrote this

But James has been gaining momentum all year. NBA teams loved his toughness, motor and athleticism. But they questioned what position he would play in the NBA. James has worked hard on his perimeter skills and this year became a much more convincing small forward.

James was in for his first day with MacLean, but he was already in terrific shape. He’s got big hands, terrific strength and attacks every drill like he’s trying to kill. In one drill, during which MacLean had players moving from box to box and dunking each time they came to the rim, James nearly ripped the rim from the backboard on every play.

While James isn’t going to show the skill of a player like George in this type of setting, what he does show is plenty of fire. I think it’s going to be a terrific selling point for him in the draft. He could rise in a way similar to what Tyler Hansbrough did in last year’s draft. You can’t teach toughness, motor and NBA readiness. With so many question marks in this draft, James is one of the few guys who you know, right out of the gate, what you are and aren’t getting. By June, he could end up in the late lottery

http://www.hookemreport.com/2010/05/...-rise-lottery/
          Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
          Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Raptors Fans, Writers, Avery Bradley & The Calderon Matador Defense Syndrome

Maybe if I was a Raptors fan for as long as many of the Raptors Writers and fans on this forum I would also have fallen victim to this.

Comment

I'm confused. Are you trying to say that raptors fans obsession with getting a point who can defend isdue to Calderon's crappy defense. Cause I give a big ten four to that thought.
              "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

Avery Bradley sort of reminds of a more athletic Marcus Banks. Banks was drafted I believe 14th overall, primarily because he was a good defensive point in the NCAA.
                -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
                -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

Raptorsss wrote: View Post
                  Avery Bradley sort of reminds of a more athletic Marcus Banks. Banks was drafted I believe 14th overall, primarily because he was a good defensive point in the NCAA.
                  I don't know what Banks weighed when he was drafted but he now is listed at 205 and Bradley is listed? at 180 pounds.

Do the Raptors really want to use their 13th pick on a light weight version of Marcus Banks?

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
                    I don't know what Banks weighed when he was drafted but he now is listed at 205 and Bradley is listed? at 180 pounds.

Do the Raptors really want to use their 13th pick on a light weight version of Marcus Banks?
                    I can't agree more and is what I've been saying since his name was brought up. Avery Bradley, I think, is more of a reactionary pick than a smart one. Really, if the Raptors want a player like Bradley, they should just give more playing time to Banks.
                    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• Tim W. wrote: View Post
                      I can't agree more and is what I've been saying since his name was brought up. Avery Bradley, I think, is more of a reactionary pick than a smart one. Really, if the Raptors want a player like Bradley, they should just give more playing time to Banks.
                      +1

Comment

• He's around Monta Ellis size. He would be worth a late 1st round pick if they could get one. If Bosh goes via S&T to a team like the Lakers they'll probably get one.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                          He's around Monta Ellis size. He would be worth a late 1st round pick if they could get one. If Bosh goes via S&T to a team like the Lakers they'll probably get one.
                          Monte Ellis is one of those over rated guys that plays in an a weird system.

Look at his WS/48 Last year it was an atrocious .023 and the year before that is was even worse at .012. In only one season in his NBA career has he ever had a WS/48 above .10 which is the league average.

On top of that for a guy that scores so much his rating on offense the last two seasons was an abysmal 99 for each season. His career rating on offense is only 105. DeRozan by contrast last season had a WS/48 of .066 and an offense rating of 110.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...ellismo01.html

Comment

• Tim W. wrote: View Post
                            a lighter version as of now yes, but more importantly a cheaper younger version of him now yes.
                            If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

• LBF wrote: View Post
                              a lighter version as of now yes, but more importantly a cheaper younger version of him now yes.
                              Well, since the Raptors are already paying Banks now, what's the point of paying someone else, on top of Banks, to do the same job, which, if you go by last season, is to look good in a suit.
                              Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• Knowing BC thi pick is prolly gonna be traded away xD
                                Last name ever, first name greatest

Comment

Working...
                                X