Smith: Raptors Should Dangle Full MLE to Ray Allen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smith: Raptors Should Dangle Full MLE to Ray Allen

Possibly risky, but yes please. I'd do it in a heartbeat.

One of Bryan’s first calls this summer should be to Ray Allen and he should dangle a three-year, full mid-level contract in front of him.

Guy makes big shots, has been in big games and is precisely the kind of old head I think this team really needs.

Now, there are three rather significant problems with that idea so don’t think it’s going to happen for sure.

The first would be that, given his druthers, I’m sure Allen would prefer to remain in Boston and I have no idea if the Celtics feel the same.

The second would be that to eat up the mid-level exception on him – as opposed to a sign-and-trade deal for maybe a package of Antoine Wright and, say, Jarrett Jack or Reggie Evans – would cut into money available for Toronto to sign other bits and pieces, although there are always trades and draft picks to take into consideration.

And the third is whether, if there’s no real interest in Boston, Allen would have any interest in joining a less-than-glamourous team that’s been out of the playoffs for two years.
    Source - Click here

Even though Allen will be 35 this summer I think that he will try to get more than the full MLE. Over the last three seasons he has averaged 77 games a season and 35 plus minutes a game. His scoring hasn't really fallen off over that period.

Teams might be leery about giving a 35 year old shooting guard more than the full MLE though I have no doubt that his agent will try and get more even if only on a three year deal. Allen made $20 million this season.

My guess is that he could possibly get a three year deal of at least $25 million which put him over the MLE. Whether his agent could get more than the full MLE we will just have to wait and see.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Ray ALlen has fallen off the last couple of years. If it weren't for the big playoffs, so far, Allen would be a lot lower on people's list. I don't like this idea, at all. It smacks of desperation. Ray Allen has a lot of mileage, isn't nearly the defender he used to be and may be ready to fall off a cliff, in terms of production. This is just what Cleveland tried to do. Simply try to get by year by year, instead of having a long term plan.

Nope, don't like it at all.
      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Ray will sign with a Championship contender

Comment

A) I think he'd rather sign with a contender.

B) I don't think they should throw too much money at a 35 year old shooting guard. He may have some serviceable years left but we have a couple young pieces at SG already that need the playing time. I don't think he'd fit in with this group of guys.

Comment

Ray Allen is a "finisher" piece for a championship contender...like a Grant Hill.

The Raptors are not that team and getting an Allen adds nothing from team building perspective.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
              Ray Allen is a "finisher" piece for a championship contender...like a Grant Hill.

The Raptors are not that team and getting an Allen adds nothing from team building perspective.
              Agreed. Not to mention the fact that he doesn't address any of the Raptors areas of weakness.

I'd rather spend the MLE on someone who can defend or rebound, or both. Last I checked we were pretty stocked in the shooting department.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                Ray ALlen has fallen off the last couple of years. If it weren't for the big playoffs, so far, Allen would be a lot lower on people's list. I don't like this idea, at all. It smacks of desperation. Ray Allen has a lot of mileage, isn't nearly the defender he used to be and may be ready to fall off a cliff, in terms of production. This is just what Cleveland tried to do. Simply try to get by year by year, instead of having a long term plan.

Nope, don't like it at all.
                Since he has been with Boston

2007-08 - mpg36--ppg17.4
                2008-09 - mpg36--ppg18.2
                2009-10 - mpg35--ppg16.3

Yes he had a decline this year but not that much compared to his first year with Boston.

I agree that the Raptors shouldn't sign him unless they get him for less than the full MLE for three years with the third year a team option.

However, I think that there is good chance he will get more than the full MLE and the Raptors should not go there.
                Last edited by Buddahfan; Fri May 14, 2010, 12:04 PM.
                Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Bad idea. I don't like it. Specially since, the only way
                  to get him would be to throw much more money at him
                  than anybody else.

Comment

Ray's a consumate pro. We'd be lucky to have a guy like that on our team. He's still very productive and a dead-eye shooter. Not to mention that he ices his free throws. I think he'd want to sign with a contending team however.

Comment

I would sign him in a heart beat even at 35. Ray has never been about athleticism. He will be able to knock down shots at 40. My only concern would be him staying in front of his man. If they feel he will be able to do that at 36 and 37 then I'm on board. I do feel he will probably land on a legit contender but stranger things have happened.

I think obvious choices for him would be coming off the bench in L.A. and Orlando but I would not discredit a team like the Jazz or even the Thunder.

Comment

I like how Smith made his "If I were GM" statement about giving Ray-Ray the full MLE and immediately second-guessed the logic of it by realizing that it would leave the Raps unable to sign any additional FA to further improve the team - especially if we get nothing in return for Bosh.

I'll add that signing Ray-Ray to the full MLE would be the equivalent of BC giving Jason Kapono the full MLE in 2007.

As such, I don't agree with Doug.
                        RR OG

Comment

Mack North wrote: View Post
                          A) I think he'd rather sign with a contender.

B) I don't think they should throw too much money at a 35 year old shooting guard. He may have some serviceable years left but we have a couple young pieces at SG already that need the playing time. I don't think he'd fit in with this group of guys.
                          they did it to dell curry if i don't recall...?
                          If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Yes please to Jesus Shuttlesworth.
                            "Don't expect anything unless you give everything."

Comment

He'd be great here. He's held up well but singing him for 3 years is risky. I think this would be almost a last resort signing for both the Raptors and Ray.
                              Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

Working...
                              X