Lil Romeo Received Scholarship Because of DD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lil Romeo Received Scholarship Because of DD

Politics and basketball go hand in hand.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketb...n=ncaab,242862

In a decision sure to disappoint opposing hecklers far more than USC basketball fans, Percy Miller is packing up his trademark aviator shades and oversized jewelry and leaving the Trojans program.

Miller, best known as rapper Lil' Romeo, will not return for his junior season, according to the Los Angeles Daily News. The 5-foot-11 point guard logged a mere 19 minutes in two years at USC, appearing in just three games last season in part due to a sprained left shoulder.

That Miller was even recruited to USC at all is one of the more bizarre decisions of former coach Tim Floyd's scandal-tainted tenure at the school.

Most believe Miller received a scholarship offer to USC only because his relationship with childhood friend DeMar Derozan helped the Trojans land the future NBA lottery pick. Floyd has always refuted this, but why else would he have recruited an injury-prone 160-pound guard who averaged 8.6 points a game as a senior for tiny Beverly Hills High School.

"It's very rare to give a scholarship to someone who may never play," All-Star Sports recruiting director Bob Gibbons told the Wall Street Journal at the time.

If you want to add a little humor to your Friday workday, take a look at how Floyd described Percy Miller in a press release when the rapper turned point guard signed with the Trojans 2 1/2 years ago.

"He is a very unselfish point guard who plays exceptionally hard," Floyd said. "You can't have enough guys on your team who you think are reliable and dependable and have a tremendous upside. He is going to be playing on one of the better high schools in the area and it is always been important to us to have point guards coming in that know how to win."

That "tremendous upside," as Floyd so amusingly put it, not surprisingly didn't translate into tremendous production on the court.

Let's wish Miller further success, whether at another college or in the entertainment industry. And let's hope USC can find a way to put his scholarship to better use in the future.

Meh, it isn't as if the scholarship is a big deal..the kid is rich anyway, it was mostly for ego. And if massaging Romeo's ego a bit is enough to get DeMar to sign, you do it.

Comment

I have seen him play.

He does a better job of defending his man than Calderon does.

Now if you believe that one, then................
      Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
      Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

At first I thought Percy Miller was Master P. Is Lil Romeo his son? And whatever happened to Bow-Wow? Maybe Tim Floyd knows.
        RR OG

Comment

James Ballswin (Realizar) wrote: View Post
          At first I thought Percy Miller was Master P. Is Lil Romeo his son? And whatever happened to Bow-Wow? Maybe Tim Floyd knows.
          In a few years, we'll be asking that same question about Justin Bieber.
          "Don't expect anything unless you give everything."

Comment

Dark Knight wrote: View Post
            In a few years, we'll be asking that same question about Justin Bieber.
            Seriously though, he's 16, his voice should have been deepening by now. They're probably giving him some drugs.

Comment

James Ballswin (Realizar) wrote: View Post
              Master P is his father, Silkk The Shocker and C-Murder are his uncles! Thought his name was actually Romeo though, the kid had show on Nickelodeon or Disney.

I seen a preview for a movie starring Bow-Wow, I hear it's an early Oscar fave for best picture and bes actor. Sounds like a good one!

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuggggghhhhh! Na na na naaaaa!

Comment

Master P had a song & movie called 'I got the hook up', apparently he knows what he's talking about and has taught his son. As I recalled Master P had a tryout with the Raptors also as a favour to one of the player ( i think it was Vince ? ).

Comment

we learned this when we drafted derozan almost a year ago and even before that majorly old news.
                  If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Working...
                  X