Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Do The Raptors Get Better If Bosh Stays?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Do The Raptors Get Better If Bosh Stays?

I think all serious Raptors fans are in agreement with what needs to be done to improve the Raptors for next season if Bosh stays. Johnson needs to be signed for a reasonable amount, the young gunz need to continue to be developed, a wise usable draft choice needs to be made and some smart trades need to happen.

I am also for purposes of my proposal going to assume that Bargnani does not get traded this summer even though a number of us would like to see him moved for a a better defensive and rebounding center. However most are in concurrence that BC is not yet ready to give up on him. So I am going to plug him for next season despite his obvious short comings which hopefully he will continue to work on and mitigate starting in 2010-11

Can Turk realistically be traded? If not then I guess we have to pencil him in for minutes next season. Or is there a team out there that might bite and who would that team offer?

---------------------------------------------
    A lot of options.

Maybe the place to begin is here.

1. Who should the Raptors draft?
    2. Who needs to be moved to improve the team and among those that need to be moved who can we realistically expect to be traded?

Here is my list of signings along with my favorite possible draft pick. The dollar amounts are my estimate of what I think will be a reasonable guess as to what they may sign for except for the draft pick whose first year salary is set by the CBA.

1. Sign Bosh $17.0 million
    1a. Sign Johnson $4.0 million
    1b. Extend Weems $2.0 million
    1c. Draft Damion James – $1.4 million

Total remaining plus draft pick
    ----------------------------------
    Bosh – $17.0
    Bargnani – $8.0
    Johnson – $4.0
    Weems – $2.0
    DeRozan – $2.5
    Jack – $4.9
    James – $1.4
    —————–------------------------------
    Total 7 players for $39.8 million
    =======================

Now my list of who I think should be moved and can realistically expected to be moved. I realize it may be hard to move Turk but I think that BC should make an effort to move him.

2. Trade Hedo – $9.8 million
    3. Trade Calderon – 9.0 million
    4. Move Evans – trade or buy out – $5.1 million
    5. Move Banks – trade or buy out – $4.8 million
    6. Move or buy out Belinelli – $2.4 million
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Total outgoing 6 players for $31.1 million
    ================================

That leaves the Raptors with 7 players $39.8 million in salary and $31 million departing. The Raptors will also have a full MLE at about $5.5 million and some vet minimums to work with. I will assume that seven players are added to the roster via trades and free agent signings bringing the total under contract to 14 players

------------------------------------------------------------
    At this point we have the #4 and #5 rotation players covered so nothing more needs to be done there.

Now comes the hard part. We have to fill in #1, #2 and #3 from the list of the 6 players above and a possible MLE signing. Keep in mind that realistically the Raptors really need only about 10 or 11 guys at the most who will see serious court time. So we are only talking about adding 3 good players to the list of 7 and possibly a 4th.

So what kind of trades do the Raptors make from the list of 6 outgoing players to acquire three and maybe four really usable incoming players including maybe an all star. They will have $31 million plus 125% to work with.

If you have a different draft pick than James than the players you might want to trade for might vary.

We only need to figure out three trades? I will fill the 4th spot with a MLE signing.

I will think about it and come up with my three trades hopefully before the NBA Finals begin.

In the meantime anyone who care to come up with a list of 3-4 players to add to the 7 or modify my list of keepers please have it.

Enjoy

Sorry about any typos that I did not correct
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

First about the draft picks:

If Bradly comes in, we have to move on of Calderon or Jack and then have Bradley take 20 minutes a game and have the Jack (my preference for who stays) take the remaining 28 minutes until we see if Bradly can play with NBA Points and run an offense.

If we take Damion James instead then I think having him spit time with Turk (I can’t see us unloading him this summer)at the three since he’s a little small to play the 4.

The Two is the big issue. If DeRozen and Weems comes in and have improved a lot, I think we’re ok. If DeRozen hasn’t taken a good leap forward though, I think we’re in big trouble at that spot (I can't see Weems jumping ahead as much as DD).

So the only guys I see us moving are Calderon, Banks, Belli and Reggie Evans (21.3 million). If we can somehow turn that into either a good three (if we take Bradley) or a good one (if we take James) it would be awesome. The other thing to consider is what if BC takes a guy like Whiteside. Do we move him or do we not resign Johnson? Then maybe we keep Belli and try him at point guard?
    "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

The answer is simple; they don't.

The only way it will ever work is if we get another top notch player. Not a superstar, just a 2nd/3rd tier who can create his own shot, so favourably a SG/wing player. We also have to install a system of execution on both sides of the court, so that EVERYONE is held accountable for their actions, otherwise you have guys like Hedo joking around and that only creates a bad atmosphere in the locker room.

Comment

Good stuff there Buddahman. Too much to digest at this reading but are you really intent on making CB feel unwanted?! Or do you feel as I do that we may all be surprised that there may not be the oft suggested max contract (let alone the 6 yr. s&t) out there for him?

ps...there is a please-come-to-Houston website out there. I wonder if Hadi was incharge of that setup.

Houston4Bosh.com

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
          Good stuff there Buddahman. Too much to digest at this reading but are you really intent on making CB feel unwanted?! Or do you feel as I do that we may all be surprised that there may not be the oft suggested max contract (let alone the 6 yr. s&t) out there for him?

ps...there is a please-come-to-Houston website out there. I wonder if Hadi was incharge of that setup.

Houston4Bosh.com
          Maximum salary for 2010-11 for a 7 year player is 30% of CAP which is expected to $56.1 million. 30% of $56.1 million $16.8 million so I really don't know what you are talking about regarding me wanting to make Bosh feel unwelcome. It is you and everyone else that is pumping all this sign and trade stuff that is making him feel unwelcome.

So here is my trade

Hedo $9.8 and Calderon $9.0 = Total $18.8 million to Detroit

Prince $11.1 (expiring) plus Stuckey $2.8 million (team option) plus Wilcox $3.0 million (player option so he would have to agree to trade) = Total $16.8 million.

Sign Haywood for MLE Max of about $5.6 million

Rotation
          ---------------
          Starters

Bosh
          Bargnani
          Prince
          Jack
          DeRozan

Bench
          ------------
          Johnson
          Wilcox
          Weems
          Stuckey
          Haywood
          James

Total salary eleven players now up to $39.1 + $16.8 + $5.6 = $63.5 million

Still to be resolved
          -----------------------
          Evans - $5.1
          Banks - $4.8
          Belinellis $2.4
          -----------------------
          Total $11.5
          ==================

If those three are kept to start the season

14 players $75.0 million
          Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
          Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

HERE IS HOW I WOULD FIX THE RAPTORS.

Forget keeping Bosh.

Try to Make these trades or similar ones:

Trade one: 3 Team trade
            Bosh to NJ in a sign and trade (other big name FA sign in NJ to make this appealing to Bosh
            #3 pick to Phily with Courtney Lee
            #2 Pick to Toronto (we draft Evan turner)

Trade 2:
            Hedo to Orlando for Gortat/B Bass

Trade 3:
            Collison and Posey (becasuse they make us take Posey) for #13 pick and Banks (expiring)

Trade 4: Jose Calderon to Pacers for # 10 pick and Jeff Foster (they make us take Foster)
            With the 10th pick we draft a big (Whiteside/E davis/ Monroe/Patterson/Udoh/Aldrich/Orton)

Trade 5 Optional

Knicks sign and trade Dave Lee to Raptors for Andrea Barnagni

Free agent singings

Andy Rautins for 800k
            one of T Outlaw/Mike Miller/Korver to a 2yr 4-5 Mil a year

Your 2011 Raptors

Starters
            Collison
            Turner
            Derozan
            Lee or AB7
            Gortat

Bench
            PG: Jack
            Wings: Weems/(1 of Outlaw/Miller/Korver)/Posey
            Bigs: Bass/ One of (Whiteside/E davis/ Monroe/Patterson/Udoh/Aldrich/Orton)/ Foster

Suits:
            Rautins/Marco/Reggie (Marco and reggie both expiring and could be moved at deadline.

Young and up and comming team...Under the tax too what do you think????????
            Last edited by it is what it is; Mon May 24, 2010, 11:40 PM.

Comment

Your 2011 Raptors

Starters
              Collison
              Turner
              Derozan
              Lee or AB7
              Gortat

Bench
              PG: Jack
              Wings: Weems/(1 of Outlaw/Miller/Korver)/Posey
              Bigs: Bass/ One of (Whiteside/E davis/ Monroe/Patterson/Udoh/Aldrich/Orton)/ Foster

you've done it - you have just assembled the worst raptors team ever
              Last edited by black angus; Tue May 25, 2010, 01:56 AM.

Comment

Hedo $9.8 and Calderon $9.0 = Total $18.8 million to Detroit

Prince $11.1 (expiring) plus Stuckey $2.8 million (team option) plus Wilcox $3.0 million (player option so he would have to agree to trade) = Total $16.8 million.

Sign Haywood for MLE Max of about $5.6 million

Joe Dumars has made some horrible trades/signings - but don't know if he would even go for this....

Do love the Haywood signing though - don't think he would sign with the Raptors, but you never know. Would even have him starting a fair share of the games and bring Bargs off the bench.

Comment

If you think a core of Evan Turner/Derozan/Collison/10th pick in draft is the worst team ever then you are not a fan of good young talent....

If the Raps were lucky enough to have this core...The sky would be the limit.....

Comment

it is what it is wrote: View Post
                    If you think a core of Evan Turner/Derozan/Collison/10th pick in draft is the worst team ever then you are not a fan of good young talent....

If the Raps were lucky enough to have this core...The sky would be the limit.....
                    As much as I would love to have Turner and Collison as Raptors I dont think they'd be very good in the 10/11 season...

Young talent doesn't usually equal a whole lot of wins. Expecially when our starting 1, 2 and 3 positions all averaging 1 and a half years of NBA experience.

They would be a lot of fun to see develop together, until their rookie scale contracts end that is.

Comment

Collison and Turner would be the best back-court in raptor history bar none, I don't even know how its possible you guys can slam them.

Comment

@Buddahman

You are right about the 17 mill. for the first year only. I was fixated on his avg. annual sal. for 6 yrs. with yearly increases of 10.5 % which puts his avg. salary at much more. Havent calc. but approx. 21 mill. I believe. You are also correct, I believe with the team as currently constructed, his overall contributions, his knees/feet fascitis, and up against the tax terr., retaining CB is worse than doing a half decent s&t with him.

Comment

so we dont win a title next year....Hello we are not going to anyway...

This gives us a good young core...You controll rookies for 5 years.... not 1 or 2

See Oklahoma....

This is the blueprint I was following....However Turner wont be as good as Durant but maybe as good as Roy

Comment

it is what it is wrote: View Post
                            so we dont win a title next year....Hello we are not going to anyway...

This gives us a good young core...You controll rookies for 5 years.... not 1 or 2

See Oklahoma....

This is the blueprint I was following....However Turner wont be as good as Durant but maybe as good as Roy
                            I have no problem with Collison and Turner - it is Derozan (the next Fred Jones) at the
                            3, David (over-inflated stats) Lee at the 4, and Gortat at the 5.

Comment

mo-sales wrote: View Post
                              Collison and Turner would be the best back-court in raptor history bar none, I don't even know how its possible you guys can slam them.
                              Ignoring for a moment that the proposed trades that would result in this backcourt are unrealistically optimistic, and will not happen under any circumstances...

No one slammed them, he just said they wouldn't produce many wins in the 10-11 season. I agree wholeheartedly with that.

Further, to say they would be the best back-court in Raptor history bar none is outrageous. They could potentially become the best back-court in Raptor history if all goes according to plan with their development (which it almost never does). But to say at this point that a backup and a rookie would be better than Vince and Alvin or Damon and Doug is some pretty aggressive speculation.

Comment

Working...
                              X