Chicago Draft Combine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicago Draft Combine

Xavier Henry was unquestionably one of the most impressive interviewees of the day. Teams will really enjoy speaking with him and have full confidence in his intangibles.

Henry was asked about a specific player he might be able to compare himself to.

"I think a decent comparison would probably be a Joe Johnson," said Henry. "A tall, athletic shooting guard that can shoot and take it to the rim, that's just active on all ends of the court.

"Hustles, plays defense, rebounds, does it all."

I asked Henry about his defense, if he's ready to guard the Kobes and Wades of the NBA.

"Maybe not the Wades and the Kobes, but I know I can come in and work hard and try my hardest. Whomever I'm assigned to guard, I'm going to try my best."

James Anderson of Oklahoma State and Darington Hobson of New Mexico are two players who will be competing with Henry, but I found Hobson to be much more engaging and have that similar high intangible quality.

One of the aspects of Hobson's game I've been most impressed by is the way he moves without the ball in his hands. I asked him if that's something that has always come naturally to him.

"When the ball is not in your hands, there's other ways you can get it," said Dobson. "That's just moving around, staying busy. I know where I'm supposed to be on the court at all times."

Hobson talked a little bit about the kind of offense he feels most comfortable playing in.

"I can play both (up-temp and halfcourt). We did both at New Mexico. We ran a lot of halfcourt sets and isolations."

Paul George of Fresno State talked about why he chose the small school Fresno State instead of some of the bigger schools like Georgetown that recruited him.

"I wanted to start my own stepping stone," said George.

I personally see a lot of Joe Johnson in George's game because of his size and ability to handle the ball.

"(He's) someone I tremendously admire," said George when I asked about the comparison. "I can be someone like him down the line, or like a Tracy McGrady. I'm one of those bigger guards that can ultimately become a superstar. It's something I can work at and something I can make myself out to be."
    Ekpe Udoh of Baylor is the wise old man of this draft class, calling the Draft Combine a 'priceless experience.' It was his 23rd birthday on Friday as well.

Udoh will have a great locker room presence and his ability to block shots and his improving jumper means he will be a consummate professional that will still be an NBA contributor 10 years from now on his 33rd birthday.

I've been impressed by how Ed Davis of North Carolina plays on tape in the pick and roll and as a face-up power forward, so it was a good indicator to hear him talk about his game in similar terms.

"I really respect Chris Bosh, he being left handed (and a face-up four)," said Davis. "I watch his game a lot and respect him."

Davis measured at 6'9" without shoes, which was a little taller than I was expecting.

I asked Davis what type of advantages he might have growing up as the son of a professional ballplayer, as his father Larry was a professional basketball player.

"Just knowing the game," said Davis. "I grew up around it. Unlike some players who are tall and are forced to play basketball, for me, I love the game. I chose to play. It's something I just love to be around."
    Hassan Whiteside is a player that has been growing on me and given his age and inexperience dealing with the media, I found him to be in the upper tier on Thursday.

"I'm just working with Hakeem Olajuwon," said Whiteside. "He's like my mentor now."

Whiteside is a good shooter for a big and I asked him if he feels more comfortable out there and if he'll be willing to go down low in the NBA.

"I played on the perimeter when I was younger," said Whiteside. "I was a guard and then I grew seven inches (at 16) and became a big man."

I also asked Whiteside how much room he has to improve and whether he believes he can develop into an All-Star center.

"I'm looking to be a Hall of Famer. I have big goals."
    RealGM.com

Anyone feel Ed Davis will drop to #13?

Comment

DraftExpress.com has him at 10 and NBAdraft.net has him going at 15. Interestingly enough, NBAdraft.net had Cole Aldrich going 14th to the Raptors. Do they know something most don't? Aldrich has been described as a top ten lock for a couple years now... Love to see Aldrich at #14. It would sort of make up for dealing the Hibbert pick and then some.

Comment

Cole Aldrich

Comment

Ekpe Udoh

Comment

Daniel Orton

Comment

Xavier Henry

Comment

Hassan Whiteside

Comment

Ed Davis

Comment

They all seem to be pretty confident in their games and have some lofty goals. I can't really say I have a favorite choice of any prospect this year, I'm just banking on BC to pick a good fit that does well for us.

I know it's almost always best to pick the best talent no matter what position he plays, but drafting Henry might send some mixed messages to DeRozan. Unless BC plans on trading Hedo, Sonny, or DeRozan, I don't know if Henry would be the best choice. I'd rather a big or Bradley at that point.

Comment

Eric Bledsoe

Comment

Larry Sanders

Comment

Gordon Hayward

Comment

James Anderson

Comment

Stanley Robinson

Comment

Working...