Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whiteside + Orton Scouting Reports

http://www.nbadraft.net/hassan-white...-orton-workout

Whiteside is stated to be more athletic but it seems Orton won't be the one getting pushed around as much defending NBA centres. Personally I go with Orton because his body seems more suited for the centre position.

Whiteside has maturity issues. I would go with Orton, who is also a year younger.

Comment

"He checked in a 6'10.5 barefoot making him a legit 7 feet."

I guess that makes me a legit 6 feet. Nice to know.

Personally, I don't know about either, but Orton seems like the better of the two. I really, really, really don't like basing opinions of a player on workouts. That's never worked very well in the past.
      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Then how do you base opinions on a player? Wait until after they're drafted and see them in the NBA? That's cheating!

Comment

Marz wrote: View Post
          Then how do you base opinions on a player? Wait until after they're drafted and see them in the NBA? That's cheating!
          I try and base my opinion of a player on, you know, actually playing. Basketball is a team sport, and workouts don't show the most important thing, how a player plays in a game situation, with teammates and against opponents. How many players have had killer workouts and risen in the draft only to be a bust, and visa versa?
          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

And the fact that both players were destroyed by Hilton Armstrong, who has never done anything in the NBA, is not a good sign.
            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
              I try and base my opinion of a player on, you know, actually playing. Basketball is a team sport, and workouts don't show the most important thing, how a player plays in a game situation, with teammates and against opponents. How many players have had killer workouts and risen in the draft only to be a bust, and visa versa?
              That's why they scout college games and international games extensively. Individual workouts are extremely important. They can isolate weaknesses in the players' game and also pick up on psychological things that you can identify in a packed building or on T.V. How many players looked damn good playing for a team in college only to flop in the bigs? I can think of many and Adam Morrison is one of them for example.

Tim W. wrote: View Post
              And the fact that both players were destroyed by Hilton Armstrong, who has never done anything in the NBA, is not a good sign.
              Hilton Armstrong is a man who's been in the league for a while brawling with vets in the paint. He's far more experienced and stronger than those kids. Neither one of them is a can't miss sure thing and both will require time to grow, this was known before the college season was even done. You're talking about a man going up against a couple kids. I could push around kids, especially those smaller than me. Big deal...
              Last edited by Apollo; Thu May 27, 2010, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                That's why they scout college games and international games extensively. Individual workouts are extremely important. They can isolate weaknesses in the players' game and also pick up on psychological things that you can identify in a packed building or on T.V. How many players looked damn good playing for a team in college only to flop in the bigs? I can think of many and Adam Morrison is one of them for example.
                But you can tell that these types of players will have trouble translating their game to the NBA. You could see for yourself that Adam Morrison wasn't athletic enough to be able to have the same kind of impact in the NBA. And didn't Morrison play well in workouts?

And need I remind anyone of the name Nikoloz Tskitishvili? Or Darko Milicic?

Workouts are fine for verifying certain question marks, but that's all they should be used for. Far too many people judge a player far too much on a workout. There are certain types of players that shine in workouts, but those skills don't necessarily translate to how they play in a game situation.

Patrick O'Bryant would do very well in workouts, whereas Joakim Noah wouldn't. Which one would you want?

Apollo wrote: View Post
                Hilton Armstrong is a man who's been in the league for a while brawling with vets in the paint. He's far more experienced and stronger than those kids. Neither one of them is a can't miss sure thing and both will require time to grow, this was known before the college season was even done. You're talking about a man going up against a couple kids. I could push around kids, especially those smaller than me. Big deal...
                Yes, that's quite true, but these kids are players who are expected to be lottery picks in the NBA and hopefully play a bit. And Hilton Armstrong is a borderline NBA player. These "kids" are 6 months away from competing against players a lot better than Hilton Armstrong. And that's worth being nervous about.
                Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Hilton Armstrong got dunked...sorry...POSTERIZED by MAnu Ginobli, so, who cares. Orton is a big dude, who I think will make a little noise in about 3 years...just needs to gain experience and know the NBA game. Like ALL rookies did.
                  The NBA Larry O'Brien Trophy's 'Big Decision': "This is hard..(smiling)...but..I've decided to take my talents to North Texas, to join The Dallas Mavericks.

"My Gladiator verses VS. what ya verse says"--Adversaree
                  Check out my song "Beat Fighter 2010" (prod. by Pete Cannon)
                  www.myspace.com/adversareeteamfresh
                  http://www.youtube.com/user/adversaree
                  http://twitter.com/#!/GiftOfSpeech (Twitter)

Comment

Working...
                  X