PJ Carlesimo Hired by Raptors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PJ Carlesimo Hired by Raptors?

Mike Grange aparently reported that the Raptors have hired PJ Carlesimo.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5236564

This is great news if true. He's got a great reputation and won a Championship coaching under Popovich. I wonder where he'll be in the pecking order.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Tim W. wrote: View Post
    Mike Grange aparently reported that the Raptors have hired PJ Carlesimo.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5236564

This is great news if true. He's got a great reputation and won a Championship coaching under Popovich. I wonder where he'll be in the pecking order.
    Yep he was hired and I think it may have been to replace Ivaroni

Carlesimo moved to the NBA in 1994, taking over the Portland Trail Blazers from Rick Adelman. He led the team to a winning record and the playoffs in his first season as an NBA head coach, becoming the first ex-college coach to do so in his opening year in over a quarter of a century.[citation needed] Carlesimo led the Blazers to the playoffs in each of his three years as their head coach, setting team defensive records in the process.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P._J._Carlesimo
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Great, great news. Finally someone with some considerable coaching experience.

Comment

and I thought this season the team was full of chokers.

Comment

Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
          Great, great news. Finally someone with some considerable coaching experience.
          I think you meant to write

Finally someone with some considerable successful coaching experience
          Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
          Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
            and I thought this season the team was full of chokers.
            It is and now the team has a chokee

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
              I think you meant to write

Finally someone with some considerable successful coaching experience
              Yes ... you are correct sir.

Comment

PJ is a shark smelling the blood of Triano thrashing around in deep water, which is why he is taking the job.

If Triano doesn't show improvement next season, he is gone.

Comment

PJ is a shark smelling the blood of Triano thrashing around in deep water, which is why he is taking the job.

This is my assumption as well, although Carlisemo's reputation amongst players (specifically young players) is pretty low. Kevin Durrant and Jeff Green weren't exactly fans of his attitude and hard-line approach... on a young team like the Raptors (considering our vets like Rasho, Jose and Hedo will not return), you can't have a coach that will alienate relationships with younger players.

Having said that, his coaching on the defensive end is excellent and proven- unlike the 'Defensive Guru' Iavaroni whose only head-coaching stint with the Grizzlies was a disaster defensively and offensively .

Comment

If Carlesimo works his magic on coaching the defense then Triano may get an extension and a raise.

I'll drink to that!

Comment

Well, if by showing improvement you mean that the Raptors improve their record, then he's got very little hope if Bosh leaves. The fate of the team next season has nothing to do with coaching just as the lack of success this past year had nothing to do with coaching.
                      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
                        It is and now the team has a chokee
                        PJ nightmares:

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                          The fate of the team next season has nothing to do with coaching just as the lack of success this past year had nothing to do with coaching.
                          If your team underachieves then coaching has everything to do with it.

Comment

Kevin Durant Seems Pleased With the Coaching Switch in Oklahoma City

11/23/2008 3:15 PM ET By Tom Ziller

Most players appear diplomatic when a coach gets fired midseason, sure to share hope for tomorrow while careful of stomping on the grave of the unemployed. As Kevin Durant is even-handed/spirited at all times, his comments on the sacking of P.J. Carlesimo and simultaneous promotion of Scott Brooks are not surprising.

"Not taking anything away from P.J., he wanted the best out of us," said Durant. "But Scott did a great job of giving us a little bit of room for error. Once we messed up he just told us what we needed to do better and told us that play was over. I think that kind of made us feel a little better. We just got to continue to build on it."

Honest, measured and expected, just as you'd prefer from a potenital-ridden buck like Durant. There's also another factor I hadn't considered Saturday: with Carlesimo, so-called offensive coordinator Paul Westhead, the guru of go, was sacked. Westhead had implemented a fast offense as Carlesimo's top deputy, one which never resembled anything beautiful because of the vast oceans of inefficiency on the roster.
                            http://nba.fanhouse.com/2008/11/23/k...h-in-oklahoma/

Comment

If this is step 1 of Colangelo's plans, I'm not sure he's keen on moving into rebuild mode just yet. I'm not going to pretend like I know what PJ Carlesimo brings to the table, but his resume seems pretty decent. At least no one seems to think this is a bad move

Comment

Working...
                              X