This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wright Could Very Well Be a Sign & Trade Possibility

According to Doug Smith, don't count out Wright being moved this summer as a sign & trade option too.

You know who’s kind of been forgotten in all this hullabaloo over Bosh’s impending free agency and Hedo’s appearance on Turkish TV and the addition of P.J. Carlesimo to the coaching staff?

Antoine Wright.

Now, I firmly believe that on a team with DeMar DeRozan and Sonny Weems on it there probably isn’t room for Wright and, as a free agent, I expect him to leave. (Although, with what I believe is an impending Turkoglu trade may cloud that issue).

Now, I do know this is you’re thinking sign-and-trade.

I’m told Minnesota had some interest very early last season; and I know there was some chatter with Cleveland around the trade deadline.

Is this one of those situations where earlier conversations that bore no fruit are re-visited in the summer?

Not sure but when you’re going over roster changes coming this summer, don’t forget to include Wright in the conversation.
    Source - Click here

What on earth is the point of Minnesota doing a sign and trade for Wright? To get rid of players they don't want? Why would the Raptors want players Minnesota doesn't want?
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Minnesota has 3 first round picks;
      including the 16th and 23rd Picks;
      I would not mind at all to get one of those
      two picks in exchange for Antoine Wright
      in a S&T; Maybe some kind of deal can be worked
      in some way so that the Raptors get an extra first rounder
      and Minnesota ends up with Antoine Wright;

Comment

The point Tim was making is that Minnesota can just sign Wright outright if they wanted to. They have no incentive to trade a pick away for him unless they fill up their cap room before going after him.

In any case, I think Dough was referring to more of a package deal somewhere near the end of the off-season. After teams have used up their exceptions and such. I don't think many teams out there are running to use up their MLE on Antoine Wright, but some teams above the cap may be willing to give up a future asset for his services without using up any of their exceptions.

Comment

I don't see Cleveland going after him because their energy is all going to be thrown at LeBron... What could he really net the Raptors anyway?

Comment

Wright was one of the worst players in the league last year who got regular minutes. He should take his first offer and run.

Comment

I actually thought Wright was a very solid player in the latter part of the season. His 3-point shot became fairly consistent after the awful start and he contributed some good minutes off the bench. Oh yea, and he usurped Hedo Turkoglu from the starting lineup. I'd be all for keeping him around at the right price ($2-3 mill).

Comment

Wright is a steady vet to bring in off the bench and a decent occasional starter when someone is out with an injury. He's an average end of the rotation guy and every decent team hopes to have on as their 8th or 9th man.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                  What on earth is the point of Minnesota doing a sign and trade for Wright? To get rid of players they don't want? Why would the Raptors want players Minnesota doesn't want?
                  why on earth would the raptors want players milwaukee didn't want?

look how that turned out. it's all about fits and opportunities where there isn't opportunities there, there's opportinities here and vice versa.

next time think about it.
                  If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Wright was still our best perimeter defender and vocal in the locker room. You guys are overlooking him too much, especially since it will be tough for the Raptors to get a better perimeter defender this off-season.
                    -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
                    -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

Raptorsss wrote: View Post
                      Wright was still our best perimeter defender and vocal in the locker room. You guys are overlooking him too much, especially since it will be tough for the Raptors to get a better perimeter defender this off-season.
                      Weems and Derozan were both better defensively. In addition, Wright doesn't really even contribute on the boards despite consistently hanging back rather than closing out effectively and he's terribly inefficient offensively. There's really no reason to play him at all. Even Marco played better defense on the whole.

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
                        why on earth would the raptors want players milwaukee didn't want?

look how that turned out. it's all about fits and opportunities where there isn't opportunities there, there's opportinities here and vice versa.

next time think about it.
                        Marz wrote: View Post
                        The point Tim was making is that Minnesota can just sign Wright outright if they wanted to. They have no incentive to trade a pick away for him unless they fill up their cap room before going after him.
                        In other words, Milwaukee was not under the cap, so they didn't have a lot of financial flexibility. Minnesota has loads of cap room this summer, so they can sign him outright, and it won't impact their ability to do anything else they might want to do.

Plus, Delfino is a better player than Wright.

Next time, maybe YOU should think about it.
                        Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

I'd like to keep him here for the right price. We all talk about getting tougher and better on D, well he was one of the better options we had in both areas last year. Early on he looked terrible but he started to turn it on. Besides, I'd like to keep some players every now and then instead of having such a high turnover rate season after season. He's been in the playoffs and is a decent vet to keep as an 8 or 9 guy.

Comment

Makes sense for any team that doesn't want to use up the BAE and MLE.

In Minny's case it only works if there is salary they want to dump rather than use Cap space.

Comment

Took a look at Minny's roster and - if just looking at PER and usage - found these players:

Brewer
                              Hollins
                              Sessions

Sessions makes no sense, despite his poor season, as Minny can easily (imo) off-load him for actual assets given how many teams need a PG this off-season.

Brewer is a possibility but he got better year-over-year and he is a wing - Minny is deficient in wing players - so why would they trade wing for wing?

Hollins is the best bet given that he is a 5... but why would they trade Hollins if they are looking at dumping Love in a trade for the #4 pick?

Minny doesn't make a lot of sense in a S&T for Wright.

My guess, IF Wright was a S&T, is that it would be Wright and cash for a player with a higher salary and a 2nd round draft pick.

EVEN THEN it doesn't make a lot of sense given that trade value is maxed at 125%. Even if Wright got a contract for $2 million the highest priced player the Raps could take back would be $2.5 million... hardly seems worth it.

Comment

Working...
                              X