Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey now, I like Bargnani. I still see untapped potential in him. I think there's a chance he does became an all star one day, I just don't think he'll make such a huge leap in one year. I'd love it if I was completely wrong though.

You'll probably say he doesn't need to make a huge leap, but he does need to improve in every area of his game.

Even if Bargs get a ton more touches as the #1 option and his scoring average breaks 20 ppg I can't see him getting a ton of votes from fans outside of Canada. And if his team defense continues to be abysmal and his rebounding numbers stay about the same I doubt the coaches will pick him as a reserve.

There is a chance though: If the Raptors completely remodel themselves as a defensive team that can hide his shortcomings, if he improves on his own defense, his rebounding, his post game, gets to the line more, his scoring and rep around the league will definitely improve and I can see him squeeking in.

It would also help if the Raptors are playing hard and are competitive in the standings. I can see people thinking they deserve an all star and give it to him.

So I do like Bargnani. I just don't like the way you're saying "Yo dude he's awesome and he's gonna be an all star suckas!" without saying anything that makes sense to back it up.
    Last edited by Mess; Fri Jun 11, 2010, 11:19 PM.
    Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

some good analysis above, i think with a change in personnel we should see bargs given a more fundamental role on offense, and all indications are that he is improving his defensive effort year to year. unless we lock in a high profile player by trade or free agency, bargs will be the media face of the squad talking to nba tv etc. his exposure will increase and so will his fan base.

come on guys, as much as we can use the off season to whine and complain about last year(s) disasters, we can also engage in some positive foresight about one of our players that has openly stated he loves toronto and doesnt want to go anywhere. the numbers tell the story, bargs will be an all star this year.

Comment

Tim W. is the man. I find his analysis to be pretty spot on. He's looks at numbers/trends and the tape.

bargs as an allstar is pretty insane. Some of you bargs lovers are going to be in for a rude awakening when/if bosh is gone. Whoever compared barg to KVH is pretty spot on. At this point in his career, he is what he is. A useful piece to stretch the floor (although I think his 3pt shooting is waaaaay overated), half decent post D, and a good 3rd option.

Comment

Multipaul wrote: View Post
          the numbers tell the story, bargs will be an all star this year.
          The numbers tell that he's a very mediocre player, fool.

Comment

mo-sales wrote: View Post
            Can we not look at this rationally for a second.

Lets assume Bosh leaves and they get the pu pu plater, Gibson and a couple picks. Bargs and Amir start in the front court with a Weems/Derozan back court and Jack at the point with various rookies and journey men filling out the roster. This is worst case scenario and sadly not that unlikely a scenario.

Bargs is going to get a lot more touches, a lot more plays run for him and the freedom to operate on any space on the floor. I've always believed he gives the best defensive effort when his shots are falling and he is involved on the offensive end. Bosh leaving likely won't help the raps win games, but it could help Bargs put up numbers. Think Wince/T-mac on the raps. Wince got all the touches and put up all the numbers, but then T-mac went to the Magic and started dropping 25 a game. Part of it was growth as a player and experience on the court, but also part of it was freedom from another wing player who the bulk of the offense was run through.

Clearly he is not going to start at the all star game. What would his numbers have to be to be added as a reserve. He already should be averaging over 20 ppg with his skill set, but I think if the off season plays out the way it could, Bargs could be the face of the franchise and would put up a lot of points while the raps lost a lot of games.

An optimistic projection would be around 22-25 ppg, 8 rebounds, 1.5 blocks, that could put him as the highest scoring big man in the east and if his 3 is dropping also the most versatile. Bargs is great at playing only half a season, if he starts out hot at the onset of the season an all star birth while presently improbable certainly isn't futuristicly illogical.
            Well, I do believe I am looking at this rationally. You claim that without Bosh, Bargnani will get a lot more touches. It depends on what you mean by a lot. He already takes only two fewer shots than Bosh a game. How many shots do you really expect him to take? You have to be realistic. If he's the first option, where is he going to get the ball? He doesn't have a spot on the floor where you can get him the ball and expect him to get something done. Is the offense going to run through him, or is he going to be the recipient of passes to get his shots? An inordinate amount of his baskets are assisted, so to suddenly ask him to create his own shot is going to be a massive, massive adjustment for him. He's going to struggle, especially with the opponents defense now focused on him, rather than Bosh. How's he going to react to double teams?

There are far too many question marks to assume he's going to make a big jump in scoring next year. McGrady is not a great example because his shots per game increased by a whopping 10 per game and his minutes also increased by 10 a game. Bargnani already takes 14 shots a game and plays 35 mpg. And McGrady was much, much better at creating his own shot. You can run the offense through McGrady because he's a triple threat.

diddy wrote: View Post
            Tim W. is the man. I find his analysis to be pretty spot on. He's looks at numbers/trends and the tape.
            Mom, is that you?
            Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

according to a mathletic analysis bargs will lock in an all star position, check it out

Comment

according to a mathletic analysis bargs will lock in an all star position, check it out
                What the hell is a mathletic analysis and what does it have to do with who the fans vote in and who the coaches vote in?
                Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

check out wayne winston's site

Comment

I'm assuming he means this: http://waynewinston.com/wordpress/?p=501

If you want to prove your case it helps to actually present any evidence, not casually mention it.

Comment

check out wayne winston's site
                      I did check out his site. I saw nothing there about Bargnani and there are several problems with your argument. Wayne Winston has as many votes for the All-Star as you or I. Who he says SHOULD be an All-Star and who is an All-Star are completely different things. Don't believe me? Read this:
                      http://www.huffingtonpost.com/wayne-..._b_454819.html

He picked Jamal Crawford, Josh Smith, Luol Deng and Lou Williams in the East, leaving off Joe Johnson, Derrick Rose, Al Horford and Paul Pierce. In the West, he selected Marc Gasol, Nene, Shawn Marion and Andre Miller instead of Carmelo Anthony, Amare Stoudamire, Pau Gasol and Chauncey Billups.

Apparently what he thinks and what actually happens are two different things. It's great that he thinks Shawn Marion should be an All-Star over Carmelo Anthony, but I don't ever see that happening.

Also, he seems to value defense over offense, which would pretty much screws Bargnani. Either way, though, saying that a system that has proven not to be able to forecast All-Stars says that Bargnani should be an All-Star means nothing.

Besides, I saw nothing on that site that gave me any indication that Bargnani SHOULD ever be an All-Star.
                      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Mess wrote: View Post
                        I'm assuming he means this: http://waynewinston.com/wordpress/?p=501

If you want to prove your case it helps to actually present any evidence, not casually mention it.
                        What are you talking about. There's a site that without a doubt proves that I am the most brilliant person in the world. Just check out this site...
                        http://www.mensacanada.org/
                        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

I was talking to Multipaul, not you tim W.

I'm not on his side. I just like to waste my time.

http://waynewinston.com/wordpress/?p=326 is the only other page that mentions Bargnani. And neither says anything about him being an all star.

Ah, Mensa. I've always thought thay anyone intelligent enough to qualify but stupid enough to pay for it should be automatically disqualified.

Comment

Mess wrote: View Post
                            I was talking to Multipaul, not you tim W.

I'm not on his side. I just like to waste my time.

http://waynewinston.com/wordpress/?p=326 is the only other page that mentions Bargnani. And neither says anything about him being an all star.

Ah, Mensa. I've always thought thay anyone intelligent enough to qualify but stupid enough to pay for it should be automatically disqualified.
                            I know. I was joking.
                            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

wayne knows what we all know, his regression analysis shows all the factors which will interact to create the conditions where bargs will excel this year, if u could pro line it u should. all star andrea should be his name this year.

Comment

After 9 pages I still don't know whether multipaul is a cycling fan in need of a scenery change or the most intellegent 4 year old I've ever seen.

Comment

Working...
                                X