Everything Gridiron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apollo wrote: View Post
    I don't think so. The appeal is lost and he's suspended. That's all she wrote.

Looking forward to seeing Jimmy under centre for four games. The man has big time talent. I don't like the Pats, don't get me wrong. I actually can't stand the Pats.
    Yea, I just meant all the talk that there's going to be if this is true. I haven't come across it yet, but it'll drag out in the media for months upon months.

Comment

• Mack North wrote: View Post
      Mike Wallace to the Ravens. He's gonna do big things for them, watch!
      Big arm, deep threat, makes sense. He won't be getting drafted by me in Keeper though.

Comment

• Mack North wrote: View Post
        Mike Wallace to the Ravens. He's gonna do big things for them, watch!
        Nice. Sadly I haven't been able to break any Ravens news today (don't even get me started on the day that was today) but I like the move.

Him and Weddle are both good signings for them. A little health this year and we should be back at the top of the AFC battling.
        Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• The Steelers' Bryant got suspended for the 2016 season. That's a crushing blow for them. I don't know why it's so hard for some of these guys.

Here's a boat load of cash and a list of illegal substances. Now run hard, catch the ball and don't put any of those substances in your system. Got it?

Comment

• Mark Sanchez says he wants to be the starter for the Broncos. Broncos are taking a step back after their D has gotten hit hard in free agency, but if they start butt fumble at QB, they probably don't make the playoffs. They better hope they win the Fitzpatrick derby (which isn't even that great of an option).

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• My guess is they're going to draft one. They have a lot of early round picks, enough to pretty much do whatever they want.

Comment

• RIP Tray Walker

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
                  RIP Tray Walker
                  Very sad. His family must be devastated. He had dedicated his rookie year (last season) to his father who died in 2014.

Comment

• RGIII visited the Browns and they're now calling around asking about him. With Josh Gordon back, them having a solid run attack and a new coaching staff that would actually be an excellent landing spot.

Maybe I'll be given reason to hang on to him in Dynasty? He was a total hail Mary flier when I picked him up at the end of the season. I will be ditching Carson Palmer so I'll have a free slot there...

Comment

RGIII visited the Browns and they're now calling around asking about him. With Josh Gordon back, them having a solid run attack and a new coaching staff that would actually be an excellent landing spot.

Maybe I'll be given reason to hang on to him in Dynasty? He was a total hail Mary flier when I picked him up at the end of the season. I will be ditching Carson Palmer so I'll have a free slot there...
                      Browns are a perpetual clusterfuck. I'm not sure that RG3 has the discipline to make himself great and I don't think the Browns (especially under Haslem) have the ability to push him in the right direction. Seems like a situation where the player would immediately be given too much power/influence and then banking it all on the hope that he pulls through himself. Not sure RG3 is that guy, or that playing in such a competitive division is the best thing for him. Hard to see him surviving a season where he plays the Ravens, Bengals and Steelers D 6 times.

That said, the number of starting opportunities are dwindling. He might be better off getting cut and taking a back up role (somewhere like New Orleans) behind a great older QB with a smart coach.

Comment

• I don't think it was a work ethic problem, I think it was a mixed of his ego getting in the way and him being a poor match for Shanahan's offense. RGIII is not a traditional pocket passer, he needs to be able to get outside from time to time and create on the fly. I think this last couple seasons really has to have been humbling for him and he should feel a strong need to redeem himself and prove his critics wrong or in other words he should be highly motivated now after his reality check.

He's already been cut by the Redskins, he's free to choose his destination and the rumors have been it's taking a little time because teams are waiting to see what Ryan Fitzpatrick does and whether the 49ers deal Kaepernick.

Comment

I don't think it was a work ethic problem, I think it was a mixed of his ego getting in the way and him being a poor match for Shanahan's offense. RGIII is not a traditional pocket passer, he needs to be able to get outside from time to time and create on the fly. I think this last couple seasons really has to have been humbling for him and he should feel a strong need to redeem himself and prove his critics wrong or in other words he should be highly motivated now after his reality check.

He's already been cut by the Redskins, he's free to choose his destination and the rumors have been it's taking a little time because teams are waiting to see what Ryan Fitzpatrick does and whether the 49ers deal Kaepernick.
                          I didn't realize he'd been cut yet. Been out of the news loop lately.

I think ego has affected his work ethic. Guy seems to believe he's made it and didn't put in the extra work to get better (plus alienating his teammates is always a bad idea); don't see that improving in Cleveland. I agree that Shanahan didn't put him in the best offence, but the problems we are hearing are much bigger than a poor scheme.

Chris Cooley's comments
                          “The offensive line did not like Robert Griffin,” Cooley said. “A lot of the receivers did not like Robert Griffin. The offensive line had a problem with Robert, because they were considered for a year-and-a-half or two years a terrible offensive line that couldn't protect a quarterback. A lot of that isn't true. A lot of that was Robert. A lot of the sacks were put on Robert. Want to believe it or not, they were, okay? Football-wise, they were: it was Robert.

“Robert never took [responsibility] for that. Robert continued to let his offensive line eat the blame. They don't like it. They hate that, man. That kills them. Perception is the only thing an offensive line has, because 99 percent of people watching football have no idea what an offensive line's doing."

If he doesn't change that soon, he's not going to last in Cleveland either. Like Washington, you have an owner who is both very involved and very bad at making football decisions. You have a fan base that will be more rabid than DC (which can be good or bad).

As a Ravens fan, I'd be quite happy if he's under center for the Browns.

Comment

• And where are all your quotes about him handling a bad situation in a very mature and professional manner this season? It's easy to go back a few years and dig up dirt but that's then, and this is now.

He was the rookie of the year, carried his team offensively in that season and blew away the expectations. He beat out Andrew Luck that year for ROY and Luck was phenomenal. He went from that to third stringer this season, never seeing the field and the media rarely showing much interest in him. People do change. I already mentioned his ego being the problem but he's been dragged through the mud and taken down many notches since then. This last season no doubt had to have been the low point. If he weren't humbled I seriously doubt he could have handled himself this season the way he did with such class.

Update from the Browns:
                            Browns Executive Vice President of Football Operations Sashi Brown, coach Hue Jackson and Chief Strategy Officer Paul DePodesta met with a small group of Browns media here at the NFL Annual Meeting on Monday morning.

Here are some quick highlights:

• Brown said the Browns are moving forward on possibly signing quarterback Robert Griffin III and that the team is doing its due diligence. He did not sound like a signing is imminent, but those things can change. Griffin III and his agent, Ben Dogra, are not at the meetings.

• Brown said the Browns are not actively engaged in trade talks with the 49ers for Colin Kaepernick, "and at this point we don't anticipate being engaged with San Francisco." He said the Browns were called to see if they were interested, and engaged in some preliminary talks. He said the Browns' interest was "over-reported," and that they never negotiated a draft pick or a new contract for Kaepernick.
                            http://www.cleveland.com/browns/inde..._on_rober.html

I can't recall the last time the Browns had a talent at QB like RGIII. It's a great landing spot for him if they opt to sign him. He goes into a great system with a very good coach.

Comment

And where are all your quotes about him handling a bad situation in a very mature and professional manner this season? It's easy to go back a few years and dig up dirt but that's then, and this is now.

He was the rookie of the year, carried his team offensively in that season and blew away the expectations. He beat out Andrew Luck that year for ROY and Luck was phenomenal. He went from that to third stringer this season, never seeing the field and the media rarely showing much interest in him. People do change. I already mentioned his ego being the problem but he's been dragged through the mud and taken down many notches since then. This last season no doubt had to have been the low point. If he weren't humbled I seriously doubt he could have handled himself this season the way he did with such class.

Update from the Browns:
                              http://www.cleveland.com/browns/inde..._on_rober.html

I can't recall the last time the Browns had a talent at QB like RGIII. It's a great landing spot for him if they opt to sign him. He goes into a great system with a very good coach.
                              Did he handle all that so well? Seems to me that while he stayed distant from the media, he also stayed distant from his teammates; so is that maturity or just the good with the bad of his personality?

(PS - the Cooley quote was from a couple of weeks ago)

The year he won ROY also had Alfred Morris get 1600 yards rushing and the same coach that you complained about putting him in a poor system. Seems possible that the guy just isn't that good because he struggled when asked to do more than be a game manager with a great RB. His ROY team lead the NFL in rushing, Cleveland was 22nd last year - so maybe we'll see what he can do with a better suited coach and a fresh start; I just don't see a lot to be excited about. If I were a Browns fan, after downing a bottle of Jack Daniel's, I'd probably prefer Kaepernick to RG3. I don't see RG3 staying healthy or elevating his game.

I think Hue is a significantly better coach for his style of play, but that isn't going to help RG3 hit those deep throws. I think the quality of the defences in that division will eat him alive; and the best way to improve your team is to start beating your division rivals.

Comment

• Not so true...

Axel wrote: View Post
                                (PS - the Cooley quote was from a couple of weeks ago)
                                Axel, Cooley last played with the Redskins four years ago. I don't care if he said it last week, it doesn't matter.

Did he handle all that so well? Seems to me that while he stayed distant from the media, he also stayed distant from his teammates; so is that maturity or just the good with the bad of his personality?
                                I don't know man there is all this and I could keep going but there's no point:

"Robert handled [the season] very well," coach Jay Gruden said. "Obviously, he wasn't happy. He's a great competitor. He accomplished some great things in 2012. He really did. But, he handled it like a pro, and I think, in the long run, hopefully, it will make him a better quarterback.

"I knew he grew a lot being a third-string quarterback here. Different system, different terminology, things that were new to him, but I think the skill set that he has, and he learned from the Shanahans, and then the new stuff that he learned from us, I think, will make him a better quarterback wherever he goes, however it works out for him."
                                http://m.redskins.com/news-and-event...b-13c5318ab323

“It was a soap opera week in and week out because people were saying one thing. … But RG III took it like a champ, took it as a professional,” Jean-Francois told NESN.com’s Ashley Allen on Friday at Super Bowl 50 Radio Row. “He’s out there getting his skills better, but Jay felt that Kirk Cousins had the skill set. He felt that he had the confidence and all.
                                http://nesn.com/2016/02/ricky-jean-f...-like-a-champ/

Robert's handled it 10 times better than anyone could have imagined," Williams said. "Even if he did spaz out and caused a distraction, you couldn't blame him. That's tough to deal with. He's never been a distraction one bit.
                                "The last thing you want is to answer questions about, 'Is Robert playing good enough? Should Kirk get a shot?'" Redskins corner DeAngelo Hall said. "Everyone has gotten on board with it. Robert’s done everything they’ve asked to help us win games."

Griffin celebrates with players after big plays. Before games, he'll often go around to players and shake their hands or give them a chest bump. In practice, he'll still flash the smile that helped him become a famous pitchman. But during practice, he's relegated to role of third-string QB, which means aligning himself in different positions to give fellow offensive players a look on certain plays. If it was a gamble to keep him around, it hasn't cost the Redskins. Coaches and players have expressed their admiration to him privately.

"He's not acting any different," one member of the organization said.

"Robert has been a pro about it," Gruden said. "Put yourself in his shoes and what he's done and accomplished as a rookie and all the things everyone was expecting from him. It's tough to take a back seat in this position. But he's handled it well. I told him he has a chance to play a long time; this is just part of the growth experience for a young quarterback."
                                http://espn.go.com/blog/washington-r...-his-situation

Not sure where you're getting your info on RGIII but it doesn't align with what I've read up on.

The year he won ROY also had Alfred Morris get 1600 yards rushing and the same coach that you complained about putting him in a poor system. Seems possible that the guy just isn't that good because he struggled when asked to do more than be a game manager with a great RB. His ROY team lead the NFL in rushing, Cleveland was 22nd last year - so maybe we'll see what he can do with a better suited coach and a fresh start; I just don't see a lot to be excited about. If I were a Browns fan, after downing a bottle of Jack Daniel's, I'd probably prefer Kaepernick to RG3. I don't see RG3 staying healthy or elevating his game.

I think Hue is a significantly better coach for his style of play, but that isn't going to help RG3 hit those deep throws. I think the quality of the defences in that division will eat him alive; and the best way to improve your team is to start beating your division rivals.
                                No, he had to answer to Mike in 2012. Did you ever consider that Morris is a product of RGIII keeping people out of the box? Have you noticed that Morris peaked in 2012 and hasn't been the same guy with RGIII out of the lineup? I think Griffin comes back with vengeance this season if he lands in the right spot.

Comment

Working...
                                X