Collison To Be Dealt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collison To Be Dealt?

New Orleans is back in tax territory with a projected payroll of more than $70 million in 2010-11.

So …

Rival executives will continue to try to convince the Hornets to make Chris Paul available in trades, pointing to the fact that Williams can simply slide the promising Darren Collison and his modest $1.4 million salary into that spot. When those teams get shot down, look for the Hornets -- based on the hints we've received from more than one exec -- to make Collison available as long as the interested party is willing to take back the cap-clogging contract of Emeka Okafor, James Posey or Peja Stojakovic with Paul's backup.
    ESPN.com

We should grab Collison and Okafor for Reggie Evans, Marcus Banks and our 13th.

Comment

when adding Reggie evans, Beli, Banks, and Hedo = Chris Paul and Okafor

the raptors winning percentages stays the same...lol

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=29k9uge

Comment

Id happily take both Posey and Okafor with Collison if NO would take back Turkoglu.
        hit me in my inbox: phdsteve@gmail.com and don't forget to check out my weekly Wednesday Podcast: [I]The Doctor is In[I] right here at raptorsrepublic.com

Comment

I don't think the hornets will just take expiring contracts in return. They'll also want to have cheap but productive players in exchange for collison. Collison and Okafor fit our team, it's just that Okafor has a huge contract which i'll be welcome to take if it includes Collison because I believe that Okafor can be a nice fit with Andrea Bargnani. Collison can also have a chance to start here in Toronto, and have a chance to become a star, along with our other young guys.

So if we're gonna get these two players, I expect the raptors to give the hornets the 13th pick, expiring contract(s), one of our young wings, and maybe cash/future picks.

Comment

I think Collison is the player the Raptors should try to get this summer. He is most likely going to develop into an elite level point guard and we have never had a guy like that. A future which includes Collison and DeRozen makes me very happy.
            "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

And if Bosh will sign and trade to go to Chicago, we might have a starting line-up next year of:

PG: Darren Collison
              SG: DeMar DeRozan
              SF: Luol Deng
              PF: Andrea Bargnani
              C: Emeka Okafor

I don't think this is a bad line-up to build on...but most likely won't win enough games next year. and raptors fans are in NEED of raptors success.

Comment

phdsteve wrote: View Post
                Id happily take both Posey and Okafor with Collison if NO would take back Turkoglu.
                But why would they take Hedo is they are trying to get ride of long and expensive contracts ?

I know Okafor is making around 12 to 13 million a year so if we include Bank and Reggie expiring contract, we should be able to do this deal. they need to give us Collison so that there is something for us in it. That being said, I can see them doing the following:

Okafor, Posy, Collison for Banks, Reggie, Hedo and 13.

Comment

IceeeD wrote: View Post
                  And if Bosh will sign and trade to go to Chicago, we might have a starting line-up next year of:

PG: Darren Collison
                  SG: DeMar DeRozan
                  SF: Luol Deng
                  PF: Andrea Bargnani
                  C: Emeka Okafor

I don't think this is a bad line-up to build on...but most likely won't win enough games next year. and raptors fans are in NEED of raptors success.
                  I disagree with this. I think a lot of Raptor fans, and I'm included here, just want to see us floor a team that will be effective, not necessarily one that is right away. I think the line up you posted would make most Raptor fans very happy, and I also think it would be a team that could make the playoffs, which is a move up from the last couple years.
                  "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

hateslosing wrote: View Post
                    I disagree with this. I think a lot of Raptor fans, and I'm included here, just want to see us floor a team that will be effective, not necessarily one that is right away. I think the line up you posted would make most Raptor fans very happy, and I also think it would be a team that could make the playoffs, which is a move up from the last couple years.
                    Also as a Raptors fan, I would love this kind of line-up for next year. I didn't say Raptors fans would not like this line-up, I just thought that maybe it would take some time before they can find their roles on the team and be consistent(since this line-up is pretty young and inexperienced). Overall, I can imagine having Collison handling the ball at the end of the game running a pick and roll with Bargnani!

Comment

I think a lot of you are missing the point. New Orleans wants to get under the luxury tax threshold THIS season. This means:

a) It's better for them to trade before the season starts, so that they're not paying for salary that counts against the threshold when they're just going to be trading it

and

b) They can't simply take expiring contracts in a 1:1 salary ratio. That won't help them get under the tax.

This is where a trade exception or being under the cap comes in handy. If we do trade Bosh to someone like the Knicks and use the trade exception, we'd be able to absorb Peja + Collison completely (assuming 16.3 million is available). This means the Hornets would be well under the luxury tax, but it also means Chris Paul is not happy.

The Hornets have to strike a balance between remaining competitive and getting under the threshold, as they did last season. I posted a trade, based on no trade exception assumptions, in the unloading hedo thread (quoted below, pay attention to option 2). If we start making assumptions about trade exceptions, we can probably create a deal that is better for both sides.

In my honest opinion though, it is the Knicks that will end up "saving the day" for NOs owners somewhere around the trade deadline. I think they go into this season and see what they can move, but in the end realize it's nothing and have the Knicks come away with something special .

In order of best for the raptors (at least imo):

Option 1:
                      Toronto Trades: Hedo Turkoglu, Marco Belinelli
                      New Orleans Trades: Emeka Okafor, Marcus Thornton

Option 2:
                      Toronto Trades: Hedo Turkoglu, Marco Belinelli, #13 pick
                      New Orleans Trades: Emeka Okafor, Julian Wright, #11 pick

Option 3:
                      Toronto Trades: Hedo Turkoglu, #13 pick
                      New Orleans Trades: Emeka Okafor, #11 pick

The Turkoglu contract is actually less than the Emeka Okafor contract by more than $8 million (Turk = 44 million vs Okafor = over 52 million). In all three options, NO ends up saving money. Options 2/3 help them in getting under the luxury tax by quite a decent amount (Option 2 gives them over $3 mil in savings next season alone).

The trades give Toronto a potential frontcourt rotation of Johnson/Okafor/Andrea, which has a nice balance of offense and defense.

Comment

Marz wrote: View Post
                        a) It's better for them to trade before the season starts, so that they're not paying for salary that counts against the threshold when they're just going to be trading it
                        You make it sound like the only point of paying a player's salary is for the luxury tax payment. Just to be sure, you do realize that a player's salary does not count towards the luxury tax level if the contract is moved prior to the end of the season, right? It happens all the time. A team will dump a contract onto another team to get below the tax level. It's not prorated, so why, for instance, dump a serviceable player prior to the season start when they can use that player and make some adjustments before the end of the season?

b) They can't simply take expiring contracts in a 1:1 salary ratio. That won't help them get under the tax.
                        New Orleans isn't actually that high above the luxury tax level. If they make a deal involving ~$18-19 mil of their contracts, and the other team is fine with sending back the least amount possible under the trade rules, the difference might get them under the tax. Or, even easier, they could just dump MoPete or Songalia on someone.

Comment

Quixotic wrote: View Post
                          Just to be sure, you do realize that a player's salary does not count towards the luxury tax level if the contract is moved prior to the end of the season, right?
                          Are you sure about this? I know that the remaining salary doesn't get taxed, but what about the salary they paid the player leading up to the trade deadline? If that's not counted against the tax, then I guess NO can easily get under the tax at the deadline making my entire post moot... but my trade is still valid! They save $8 million over 4 seasons

Comment

I'll take Collison, Posey, and Pejas expiring please.

No to Okafor though. Hes on the decline, and his contract is stinky.
                            "Don't expect anything unless you give everything."

Comment

Are you sure about this? I know that the remaining salary doesn't get taxed, but what about the salary they paid the player leading up to the trade deadline? If that's not counted against the tax, then I guess NO can easily get under the tax at the deadline making my entire post moot... but my trade is still valid! They save $8 million over 4 seasons
                              Okay, maybe I should re-evaluate that statement of mine, as well as the idea of posting without sleep. You know what they say, nothing good happens after 2 AM. =P

The luxury tax payment is calculated at the end of the season based off payroll paid to-date. So yes, if a player has absolutely no merit to the team for the majority of the season, why not trade him earlier. But I have a hard time seeing a player fall under this category (and not the "nobody wants to take on his salary obligations... yet" category), unless the team has decided to tank from day one. By virtue of having Chris Paul, the Hornets are almost guaranteed to try for a good season before making changes to deal with the luxury tax.

Comment

Working...
                              X