This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Important is Team Chemistry?

Just something I've been thinking about lately that has come up in a number of threads and it's something i've been wondering about and i'd like some other opinions. Basically, how important is team chemistry? I know it is an abstract term, but specifically does it upgrade the value of Derozan/Weems/Johnson to the raptors? They are all young, and usually chemistry is seen as being a catalyst of a "glue" guy who is a almost always a veteran leader. IMO I'd prefer to keep all 3 together even if it means we have to pass on Iggy or Philly's number 2. They all seem like hard workers who have not underachieved (with the exception of maybe derozan, who was a rookie) BUT more importantly really like each other, and thus playing for the raptors. Not that i've played or coached basketball at anything higher than the highschool level (nor had a great amount of success at either ) but IMO i'd rather play with or coach guys who get along and hustle (and can be coached to push each other) then more talented players, and that the young gunz could mean the difference between overachieving and underachieving.

I know someone is going to argue "but you can get better players who also have good attitude" and this is true, but personally I rather keep the guys who have demonstrated that they already have chemistry and are young than to split them up. I'm not saying that this will guarantee us a playoff spot, but i honestly think that its really important to keep them together for at least the first half of next year. Am I on crack?
    "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

I totally agree with you, and think this can be a positive factor towards success. Look at the Celtics, those guys have great chemistry for the most part and act not just like a team but like a family, and they have done pretty good so far. The fans notice this stuff alot too, the interaction of the guys on the bench, outside of the team, etc.

Comment

I think chemistry is really important. Just look at the Suns and Celtics this year. Last year when we added 9 new faces we always had that as an excuse at the beginning of the season. BC likes to shake things up a lot and if it makes your team better you should do it.

That being said, if you want to keep a core together they have to have the talent to back it up. Those three you like aren't carrying any team. But I get weary sometimes when BC is so trigger happy to make trades. Just look at Cuban who always seems to pull a huge trade every year and so far it hasn't amounted to any rings.

Ugh. I don't know where im going with this. I guess you need chemistry but the right guys can create chemistry a hell of a lot faster (Nash, Garnet).
      Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Multipaul wrote: View Post
        I totally agree with you, and think this can be a positive factor towards success. Look at the Celtics, those guys have great chemistry for the most part and act not just like a team but like a family, and they have done pretty good so far. The fans notice this stuff alot too, the interaction of the guys on the bench, outside of the team, etc.
        Good example, but dont forget KG and Ray Allen won a ring their first year together.
        Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Team chemistry may be the most important factor in basketball. If you have guys who play well together and like each other they become a force. Look at Amir Johnson and Calderon last year, the two of them would come in and completely turn games around by playing so well together. There is a difference between two guys being friends and having chemistry though. I wouldn't say that Amir Johnson and DeRozen have good Chem because I don't ever remember seeing them working together well on the court. It's good to have everyone on the team on good terms and all that, but you need guys who play well off each other not guys who joke around together. My favorite example is Shaq and Kobe. Even when those two really didn't like each other toward the end of their run, they continued to have great on court chemistry in terms of knowing what the other was going to do and setting each other up.
          "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

"Team chemistry" is as you alluded is a somewhat nebulous term imo. There are many factors that must exist in order for such to exist and then again probably differentiates from the chem. that must endure the grind of a long season vs. that must be demonstrated during the playoff battles when your team comes up against teams sometimes more talented than yours.

A good/great/strong personality coach, a blend of older and younger players and a tested/strong leader are the factors I feel most required to create that "chemistry". I think you will find these attributes exist within both the Lakers & the Celtics.

Comment

Like Isiah Thomas said:

"The secret of basketball is that it's not about basketball."
              Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

Chemistry is one of the most important factors. It's a team game.

Comment

I think chemistry is VERY important. HOWEVER! if we have a chance to land Evan Turner and one of the pieces going to Philly is Demar,Sonny or Amir you do it in a heartbeat! Evan Turner is a franchise altering type pick.

Comment

Mess "The secret of basketball is that it's not about basketball."

Apollo "Chemistry is one of the most important factors. It's a team game."

I'm glad you agree with me!

but...

as bendit pointed out, just because those guys all get along doesn't necessarily mean they have chemistry, do you guys think that they do have chemistry and that may make them more valuable in contributing to next year's team chemistry?
                    "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Well, you need to have talent too. You don't keep 3 players because they joke around together. When those 3 get out running on the fast break they seem to have great chemistry - with each other and both JJ and Jose. That type of play is contagious and energetic, for the team and the fans.

As the 3 of them each get more experience and better maybe they'll want their own shot more and that could possibly ruin what they have now.

I wouldn't give up too much for Iggy but the #2 pick is very tempting.
                      Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

ezz_bee wrote: View Post
                        Mess "The secret of basketball is that it's not about basketball."

Apollo "Chemistry is one of the most important factors. It's a team game."

I'm glad you agree with me!

but...

as bendit pointed out, just because those guys all get along doesn't necessarily mean they have chemistry, do you guys think that they do have chemistry and that may make them more valuable in contributing to next year's team chemistry?
                        Chemistry, in my opinion, isn't about the team having great off court relationships, although it's a nice to have. In my opinion chemistry is about:

A.) Role players with the knowledge, awareness and ability to work with their teammates to generate "positive net gains" on the court consistently in a set basketball system.
                        B.) Leadership on the court and on the bench to guide those role players and keep them focused and determined on sticking to the basketball system and the team philosophies; to keep everyone on the same page... The page that management envisions as being a winning system.

The Raptors were lacking in both areas for much of the organization's existence. One could argue the only time they ever met both these points was during the couple years where they had the likes of Davis, Carter, Williams, Oakley, etc. in town. Their star didn't offer great leadership but his counterparts did and all the rotational guys met part A. The result was game seven, round 2. Unfortunately they didn't have the right management in place to take the next step.
                        Last edited by Apollo; Wed Jun 16, 2010, 08:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X