Turk to the Clips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turk to the Clips

Just a thought. If, according to the nbadraft.net extended mock draft, the Clippers are in search of SF, a few things come to mind.

First, a lineup of:

Baron Davis
    Eric Gordon
    Hedo Turkoglu
    Blake Griffin
    Chris Kaman

Looks pretty flippin' awesome to me. Right combination of veterans, youth, scoring, rebounding and distribution. They have much cap space and some TPE, so could in theory be able to swap their pick - no. 8 - for Turk straight up (if not as well some future picks coming this way).

For us, we'd then have the 8th and 13th pick. We could grab two of Bradley, Hayward, Monroe (maybe) or Aldrich (for sure). Good for the Raps. Good for the Clips. This over and above whatever happens with Bosh.

Either that or we could swap picks (the details and such of which I'm not really inclined to try and figure out), then try and buy a lower pick as it has been reported.

Thoughts?

No way, that is truly a wishful thinking maybe if u give them number 13 and expiring contracts and get back a bad but shorter contract from them, then u might have a chance of getting it done

Comment

I don't think it's gonna happen, but it has something in it.

1: They could really use a ballhandler because Baron is way over his horizon and Gordon is best suited as a shooter.
      2: LA is searching for a Swingman
      3: It's the Clippers, you never know what's gonna happen.

Comment

Trouble is.. the Clips have no one else under contract besides the starters named above, along with Mardy Collins (qualifying offer) and DeAndre Jordan (non-Guaranteed), so there are no "bad but shorter contracts" to be had..

Maybe a sign-and-trade for Travis Outlaw could work.. (I'm only mentioning this because we're on the Clippers topic)... that's about the only thing that interests me that the Clips could offer..

It could save us some money, plus get much younger/more athletic..

Comment

So...if a straight swap doesn't appear likely to people, (though to me I'm not so sure it's that bad a deal, as I wrote above.) how could it be tweaked? I only ask cause I really think as a skeleton this is a good deal. Emphasize the ability to end up with both the 8th and 13th pick.

Comment

I think the 8th pick has more value than Turk. I would love to see it happen though! Who would you take at 8?

Comment

I think the Clippers are hoping that Aminu drops to 8. If he does, they take him as the last piece for their starting lineup. If he's gone by 8, I could see them making a move though. If the Raptors can pick up another draft pick at around 20, they could maybe package that and Turk for the 8.

Comment

The Clippers have max cap room, I think they are trying to lure a free agent. Trading for Turk would negate all that, but I think after they sign someone, it could be an interesting deal.

Comment

Turkoglu going to the CLippers actually makes a lot of sense. As others have said, I'm not quite sure what they would send back. I agree that there's no way they'd send back the 8th pick AND take Turkoglu. As da_goose09 mentioned, maybe a sign and trade involving Travis Outlaw, although he'd have to agree and that still doesn't help the Clippers, at all. The Raptors may have to throw in a 2nd rounder to make it TUrkoglu and a 2nd rounder for Travis Outlaw. If they can get their 8th pick out of it, that would be great, but I don't see it happening.

Now, one thing working in the Raptors favour for the 8th pick is that they certainly don't need more youth, so I'm not sure how much they even want their draft pick. And since I don't see them being able to sign anyone big, this might be their best chance to get a veteran SF that can help the team.
                  Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                  Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                    Now, one thing working in the Raptors favour for the 8th pick is that they certainly don't need more youth, so I'm not sure how much they even want their draft pick. And since I don't see them being able to sign anyone big, this might be their best chance to get a veteran SF that can help the team.
                    That's more along the lines of what I was thinking. This is a chance for the Clips to move beyond rebuilding by adding a veteran who fits near perfect with their core. They have the cap space to nicely round out the roster beyond the starting 5 after the trade. It would be hard to see how any pick at the 8th spot would be able to contribute as much as Turk could - at least over the next year or two. By then his contract is actually not that bad.

Comment

Hedo Discount

I don't think your going to see anybody give up good assets (such as the 8th pick) unless its perhaps its Sacramento (who wouldn't do it.) When Turk publically announced that his preference is The Kings, he sabotaged allot of options. It will be hard for any team other then The Kings to risk taking him as he may be upset. But maybe the west coast in general is good enough for Turk. One thing I do know, the clips would have to throw in allot more in order to make this economically feasible. Turk would fit that line-up great though.

Comment

Nick wrote: View Post
                        One thing I do know, the clips would have to throw in allot more in order to make this economically feasible. Turk would fit that line-up great though.
                        The one thing you do know.. you don't know very well! lol.

Since the Clips are under the cap, so they can offer a pick straight up for Turk.

But yea, you bring up a good point.. that any team getting Turk is probably going to want his consent before giving anything up for him.. since he sulked his way out of T.O, any interested team probably wouldn't want the same thing to happen to them

Comment

Turk would be a good fit since Baron is more of a scorer than an actual PG. Turk can run the point, as he always wants to, and Gordon can pretty much play on-off the ball and as a stand up shooter.

The only issue would be is the Clips have thrown their name in the hat for the Lebron sweepstakes. i mean if theyre aiming that high, i dont think theyd settle for Hedo, probably as a last resort.

Comment

tbihis wrote: View Post
                            The only issue would be is the Clips have thrown their name in the hat for the Lebron sweepstakes. i mean if theyre aiming that high, i dont think theyd settle for Hedo, probably as a last resort.
                            Exactly, and it doesn't sound like BC is going to be waiting until July 10th to make his moves. That's the earliest I can see the Clippers doing anything - unless they think no one is going to sign with them.

That's not a bad starting lineup though. Maybe Rudy Gay will end up there.
                            Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

Only one basketball ... those five possible starters for the Clippers wouldn't be able to play together offensively. Or at least, Turkoglu's so-so level of play will continue while the others pad their stats.
                              nbaroundtable

Comment

Working...
                              X