Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bosh Wants to Be "The Man". Can He Realistically Win a Title Being the #1 Option?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check this article (http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/04/08/p...s-boshs-value/) that compares Bosh to every other PF in the past decade at 25. He rates higher in offensive rebounding than everyone except Boozer and Randolph. We are talking better than the primes of KG, TD, Amare, Pau, Odom, Sheed and Lee. Offensive rebounding is not one of Bosh's myriad of deficiencies. I think his offensive rebounding rate will go down next year because he will revert back to slinging j's instead of dropping stepping in the paint, but until that happens it is merely conjecture.

Comment

Bosh's offensive rebounding is fine. If he wasn't so offensively talented (especially from the high/mid post) and was relocated to a garbage man role, his offensive rebounding rate would noticeably improve.

It's like criticizing Bargnani for his non existent OReb despite the fact he's used as a perimeter stretch 5 and is rarely in the paint at all.

Comment

hateslosing wrote: View Post
        I think Bosh can be the number one guy on a contender but he need to change a lot of his game. There are three things that would help get him there.
        If Bosh made all these improvements he'd be perennial top 3 MVP candidate and one of the greatest bigmen of all time.

As it stands, his super efficient and diverse offensive game is probably good enough to be the #1 scoring threat on any team. Only Lebron and Durant clearly had better offensive seasons than Bosh this past year in terms of pure usage and efficiency.

Comment

mo-sales wrote: View Post
          Check this article (http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/04/08/p...s-boshs-value/) that compares Bosh to every other PF in the past decade at 25. He rates higher in offensive rebounding than everyone except Boozer and Randolph. We are talking better than the primes of KG, TD, Amare, Pau, Odom, Sheed and Lee. Offensive rebounding is not one of Bosh's myriad of deficiencies. I think his offensive rebounding rate will go down next year because he will revert back to slinging j's instead of dropping stepping in the paint, but until that happens it is merely conjecture.
          My friend you are starting to do Bosh hypes like I do Johnson hypes. Comparing at age 25.

Their are so many ways to look at the numbers

How about percentage of offensive rebounds
          How about rebounds per minute in the player's seventh season

I never said anything about comparing him to other PFs. That is your reinvention.

I said that he is not so good at offensive rebounding. That compares him to every other player in the league, not just PFs. Yes I would agree that he is a pretty good offensive rebounder for a PF but Johnson, Love, Blair did better than him last season just to name three and I am sure that there are other PF's who averaged more offensive rebounds per 36 minutes than Bosh did.

According to 82games.com Bosh made 61% of his inside shots

Lets look at some other PF

1. Johnson 71%
          2. P. Gasol 63%
          3. Stoudemire 67%
          4. J. Smith 63%
          5. KG 68%
          6. Boozer 67%
          7. Landry 66%
          8. Aldridge 64%
          9. Duncan 64%
          10. Blair 62%
          11. Scola 62%
          12. Blatche 62%
          13. Beasley 64%
          14. I stopped after Beasley

So in terms of inside shooting percentage Bosh ranks about in the middle of the pack of all the NBA Power Forwards.

http://www.82games.com/
          Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
          Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

mo-sales wrote: View Post
            Just imagine what Bosh's numbers would be like if he were getting some of those easy looks Amare gets via Steve Nash?

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
            So in terms of inside shooting percentage Bosh ranks about in the middle of the pack of all the NBA Power Forwards.
            Ok... But Bosh is an outside scorer who likes to slash. How do those guys stack up outside compared to Bosh? How do those guys stack up in terms of getting to the line compared to Bosh?
            Last edited by Apollo; Wed Jun 16, 2010, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Brasky wrote: View Post
              If Bosh made all these improvements he'd be perennial top 3 MVP candidate and one of the greatest bigmen of all time.

As it stands, his super efficient and diverse offensive game is probably good enough to be the #1 scoring threat on any team. Only Lebron and Durant clearly had better offensive seasons than Bosh this past year in terms of pure usage and efficiency.
              If he wants to be the man and lead his team to a title he kind of has to be one of the best all time and at least in the top 5 today. Think about this, when has a team built around a player won a title if that player wasn't among the best in history at his position. Kobe is up there at shooting guard, Duncan probably is the best pf ever, Shaq is right behind wilt for centers, and Jordon is the greatest all time. I can go on if you want, but I think this makes the point.
              "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

Yes I would agree that he is a pretty good offensive rebounder for a PF but Johnson, Love, Blair did better than him last season just to name three and I am sure that there are other PF's who averaged more offensive rebounds per 36 minutes than Bosh did.
                Let me branch off and use this thinking to ask you a question. Based on stats Sasha Vujacic is a much better shooter the Kobe Bryant from long range and a slightly better shooter overall. Which one do you want taking the bulk of the shots?

Johnson, Love and Blair are all role players who get burn based on filling roles. They're all blue collar guys at this point and if they're not on the boards they're not in the game. Bosh is mid range shooter and he takes a lot of shots. Naturally he's not going to get as many opportunities than those who are out there to rebound. Bosh is out there for a lot more and is pulled away from the hoop. I think his numbers look great when you consider where he typically is on the court.
                Last edited by Apollo; Wed Jun 16, 2010, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Considering the title of the post, we can safely say Bosh will not win a title if he is the #1 option, it clearly cannot happen. His outside shooting and purported "slashing" hasn't done much for us.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                    Let me branch off and use this thinking to ask you a question. Based on stats Sasha Vujacic is a much better shooter the Kobe Bryant from long range and a slightly better shooter overall. Which one do you want taking the bulk of the shots?

Johnson, Love and Blair are all role players who get burn based on filling roles. They're all blue collar guys at this point and if they're not on the boards they're not in the game. Bosh is mid range shooter and he takes a lot of shots. Naturally he's not going to get as many opportunities than those who are out there to rebound. Bosh is out there for a lot more and is pulled away from the hoop. I think his numbers look great when you consider where he typically is on the court.
                    Go look at the stats and you will realize my friend that you are wrong.

The stat is about inside shooting. The topic at hand was offensive rebounding of which inside shooting percentage is connected.

So I pointed out that Bosh is just average at best at inside shooting which is true.

You can bash Johnson all you want, enjoy.
                    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

I hate doing the per 36 minutes routine when the guys only play 20 mins. It is easy to crash the boards in short stints, I love Ronnie Turiaf, but lets seem him sustain that energy for a full game.

Last year Bosh was a better offensive rebounder than almost every elite PF in the last ten years. I don't see how you can really discredit that. Are there center's who are better than him, most definitely, but you can't argue that Mayo is a bad passer and then list all the point guards who had higher assists totals.

I would agree that might be Amir and Blair is a better offensive rebounder (Sadly, I haven't watched too many T-Wolves games so I can't speak for Love), but that is one of thier main responsibilities. Bosh is very good offensive rebounder as well as the main initiator of the offense. I respect Bosh and think he is the perfect sidekick to any superstar wing player, but the flaws in his game by no means involve his ability to rebound the ball or score around the net.

I checked some of those numbers, several of them are off, but Bosh is at 61%. I have no idea what 'inside' means. Does it mean the paint, around the paint, do short jump shots count?

I would agree that Amare, Pau, Duncan and maybe the Booz are better around the net, but Bosh is far and away a better jump shooter from 12-25 feet than anyone on your list. He also added some Al Jeffersonesque post moves this past year and became maybe the premier And 1 big man in the league.

I'm not a huge numbers guy because of how they can be skewed. I prefer to watch a guy and then use numbers to see if they match up what I saw first hand. I believe that Bosh is the best PF in the game today when it comes to scoring and rebounding the ball. Is being elite at those two skills worth a max contract? Probably not because I think you can find a handful of guys who can perform at a lesser level for a fraction of the cost, but also provide above average defense, hustle and hopefully leadership.

Comment

You want to go double or nothing on that statement?

Bosh 2.9 offensive rebounds per 36 min

Johnson 3.8
                        Love 4.8
                        Howard 3.6

There a lot more better than Bosh but I have to leave for the Dentist.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...howardw01.html

You now owe me two large pizza's
                        sorry dude but gotta agree with buddha on this one (cant believe im saying this, hahahaha). Bosh was 17th on offensive reb ave. and 22nd on total. im not sure if top 20 is good enough

Comment

Working...
                        X