This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grizz May Have Some Interest In Calderon and Turk

There are no indications that the Grizzlies are involved in talks with the Toronto Raptors even as that Eastern Conference team prepares to overhaul its roster.

Forward Chris Bosh apparently is ready to depart via free agency. Hedo Turkoglu publicly stating his desire to be traded. So the Raptors reportedly have indicated a willingness to listen to offers for Turkoglu and guards Jose Calderon and Jarrett Jack.

While the Grizzlies have not engaged the Raptors there is some organizational interest in Turkoglu and Calderon.
    However, both players' long-term contracts starting at $9 million apiece might calm any Memphis desires.
    http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...ans-a-mystery/

Gay is a restricted free agent who could command about what Calderon and Turk are making.

I would go for Turk for Gay.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Rudy gay will be demanded much more than Calderon/Turk are making. The bare minimum I see him signing for is 12 mil, but 14 mil is more likely with all the cap space floating around.

Comment

Morel like 18. If the knicks strike out on Bron, Wade and Bosh they are going to offer near max deals to Booz, Amare and Gay. I really like Gay, he killed at the US tryouts last year and if he can get on the 2012 team, it will help his career exponentially. I think the Griz are going to be surprised by how much it is going to cost to retain him.

Comment

Marz wrote: View Post
        Rudy gay will be demanded much more than Calderon/Turk are making. The bare minimum I see him signing for is 12 mil, but 14 mil is more likely with all the cap space floating around.
        Its quite clear that you don't know how to structure a S&T contract.
        Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
        Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

mo-sales wrote: View Post
          Morel like 18. If the knicks strike out on Bron, Wade and Bosh they are going to offer near max deals to Booz, Amare and Gay. I really like Gay, he killed at the US tryouts last year and if he can get on the 2012 team, it will help his career exponentially. I think the Griz are going to be surprised by how much it is going to cost to retain him.
          Double or nothing on that pizza that Gay doesn't get an $18 million contract for 2010-11. This time you will have to pay my friend.

Comment

This would be a good move for the Grizz as Gay might bolt anyways. From a Raps standpoint, this would be unbelievable!

Comment

Gay can't get $18 million because it's more than the max. Gay will be going into his 5th year, which means he can get a maximum of 25% of the salary cap. Assuming that's $56.1 million, then Gay can get $14.025 million in his first season.

Last season rumours had gay asking for 5 years $50 million as an extension. Now that he's a restricted FA, and there being plenty of teams with cap space, it's easy to see him making even more money. Especially after the Grizzlies' "strong" record (given that they play in the West).

"Its quite clear that you don't know how to structure a S&T contract."

Why on earth would Rudy Gay take less than what the Knicks/Nets would likely offer (12-14 million) to sign and trade to the Raptors?

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
                http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...ans-a-mystery/

Gay is a restricted free agent who could command about what Calderon and Turk are making.

I would go for Turk for Gay.
                Marz wrote: View Post
                I personally think he's going to be shooting for something like Bosh's current contract extension, just a little longer. He may not get it but if the Raptors were willing to pay it or a little less and the Grizz wanted no part of it does anyone think they would more strongly consider Hedo and Calderon, this time via a Rudy Gay S&T? I think landing Gay in this sort of deal would be a coup even if they "overpay" a little.

Comment

Overpay overshmay for Gay! Get him here to play without delay! Turk & Calderon in a sign & trade? Sounds good to me okay. It works out, in a way, in that positions they play make the trade nega(te) the loss. Though Turk & Calderon are the only ones that make our plays, surely Gay could arrive to save the day - in his own way? Surely he may. To the All-Star game for Bosh and Gay. Up up and away!

Comment

jeff_hostetler wrote: View Post
                    Overpay overshmay for Gay! Get him here to play without delay! Turk & Calderon in a sign & trade? Sounds good to me okay.
                    Of course it sounds good to you. We're trading one/two over-priced contracts for one over-priced contract. Except the one we're getting can produce about 18 points and 6 rebounds per game and play defense. If the Grizzlies are looking to S&T Gay, it won't be for our crap.

Comment

Actually, I don't really see this happening, as from what I understand from all the rumour, conjecture and innuendo that's been floating around there's some kind of draft-day trade in the works or something like that? Given that FA negotiations can't take place until much later, I doubt Turk and/or Calderon will be around by then to make such a S&T possible.

Might be more feasible with Jack instead of Calderon though.
                      Last edited by jeff_hostetler; Fri Jun 18, 2010, 02:57 PM. Reason: Better.

Comment

YOU GUYS ARE NUTS!!! In what league is Rudy Gay making over 10 mil a season? The guy is worth 8 MAX!!! not to mention the fact that the lockout next year is going to cut salaries and contract length. I think this thread is severely overvaluing a player who was good, don't get me wrong, but on a bad team surrounded by young talent and very few stars. Anybody who's followed Gay knows that he is terribly inconsistent in all aspects of his game.

Comment

sunndog wrote: View Post
                          YOU GUYS ARE NUTS!!! In what league is Rudy Gay making over 10 mil a season? The guy is worth 8 MAX!!!.
                          So what??!! Hedo signed for 10 mill and he is worth 5!

Comment

I like Rudy, but he hasn't really improved much in the last three years. He's turned into a guy putting up decent numbers on a pretty bad team. From what I read on the Memphis blog, his defense isn't great either. On the plus side, he never gets injured and can score, leaving defense aside, it's almost like he's what we want DeRozan to eventually become. I think.

Comment

sunndog wrote: View Post
                              YOU GUYS ARE NUTS!!! In what league is Rudy Gay making over 10 mil a season? The guy is worth 8 MAX!!! not to mention the fact that the lockout next year is going to cut salaries and contract length. I think this thread is severely overvaluing a player who was good, don't get me wrong, but on a bad team surrounded by young talent and very few stars. Anybody who's followed Gay knows that he is terribly inconsistent in all aspects of his game.
                              Gay is a 23 year old, extremely athletic 6'9 small forward who averaged 19.6 ppg and 5.7 rpg and has All-Star potential. $8 million is about the price the average starter in the NBA makes. Bargnani makes $10 million a year, as does Turkoglu. LaMarcus Aldridge, who was drafted the same year and is around the same talent level, will make $10.7 million next season and his contract goes up to $15.2 million in five years.

If your argument is that players are vastly overpaid today, then I agree. If your argument is that Rudy Gay is not worth the same, or more, as Bargnani, Turkoglu and Aldridge, then you might be the one who is nuts.
                              Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                              X