Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R.I.P Manute Bol

Manute Bol dies at 47.

On June 19, 2010, Bol died of liver failure and Stevens–Johnson syndrome at the University of Virginia Medical Center in Charlottesville, Virginia.

That's sad. Easily one of the most interesting and intriguing player that ever played in the NBA.

Source - Click here

Comment

man, i didn't see him outlasting his disease. too bad definitely, one of the main attractions of the nba.

it's sad that that's usually what hapens to these abnormally tall guys.

If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Definately a great one.

Comment

CB4 took an offence when someone once compared his physique to that of Manute Bol. The man was a stick figure no doubt but at 7 ft 7 he probably ate as much as Shaq but couldn't pack on the pounds.

Come to think of it people will probably remember Bol alot longer then they will Chris Bosh when he retires just by the sheer height of Bol and his interesting life story.

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
            CB4 took an offence when someone once compared his physique to that of Manute Bol. The man was a stick figure no doubt but at 7 ft 7 he probably ate as much as Shaq but couldn't pack on the pounds.

Come to think of it people will probably remember Bol alot longer then they will Chris Bosh when he retires just by the sheer height of Bol and his interesting life story.
            225 pounds at 7'7" which is almost a foot taller than bosh is about as much as bosh weighed up until this season.

i always wondered why bol was so thin, maybe his body was just so used to not being fed since he lived in poverty that when he tried to bulk up it just wouldn't do nothing.

or maybe he just had a high metabolism and was a bottomles pit certainly was tall enough. i saw a documentary about the world's tallest kid's and this kid was 14 and was 7'7" and i just thought of manute bol.

i think people remember manute bol more than they do George Muresan even though they were both 7'7" and played in the nba. he truly was one of a kind.
            If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Comment

Read Woj's piece on yahoo sports, a great humanitarian and ambassador.

Comment

I remember when he was on celibrity boxing a few years back every one thaught it was a joke or he was broke but he did it to help the people of his native Sudan from the genocide that was happening in his homeland. If you get a chance read up on his life story. Great human being, will be greatly missed. Sad day for all ):

Comment

cornbreadd wrote: View Post
                  Read Woj's piece on yahoo sports, a great humanitarian and ambassador.
                  i would but it would have been easier if you could just post it.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP)—Manute Bol, a lithe 7-foot-7 shot-blocker from Sudan who spent 10 seasons in the NBA and was dedicated to humanitarian work in Africa, died Saturday. He was 47.

Bol died at the University of Virginia Hospital in Charlottesville, where he was being treated for severe kidney trouble and a painful skin condition, Tom Prichard, executive director of the group Sudan Sunrise, said in an e-mail.

“Sudan and the world have lost a hero and an example for all of us,” Prichard said. “Manute, we’ll miss you. Our prayers and best wishes go out to all his family, and all who mourn his loss.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Bol played in the NBA with Washington, Golden State, Philadelphia and Miami, averaging 2.6 points, 4.2 rebounds and 3.3 blocks for his career. He led the league in blocks in 1985-86 with Washington (5.0 per game) and in 1988-89 with Golden State (4.3 a game).

“Manute’s impact on this city, our franchise and the game of basketball cannot be put into words,” 76ers president and general manager Ed Stefanski said in a statement. “He … was continually giving of himself through his generosity and humanitarian efforts in order to make the world around him a much better place, for which he will always be remembered.”

Bol joined the NBA with Washington in 1985 and played three seasons there. He returned to the team briefly toward the end of his career. The Wizards lauded him as a “true humanitarian and an ambassador for the sport of basketball.”

“Despite his accomplishments on the court, his lasting legacy will be the tireless work and causes he promoted in his native Sudan and the cities in which he played,” the club said in a statement.

After the NBA, Bol worked closely as an advisory board member of Sudan Sunrise, which promotes reconciliation in Sudan. .

Bol was hospitalized in mid-May during a stopover in Washington after returning to the United States from Sudan. Prichard said then that Bol was in Sudan to help build a school in conjunction with Sudan Sunrise but stayed longer than anticipated after the president of southern Sudan asked him to make election appearances and use his influence to counter corruption in the county.

He said Bol had undergone three dialysis treatments and developed Stevens-Johnson Syndrome, a condition that caused him to lose patches of skin. Prichard said the skin around Bol’s mouth was so sore he went 11 days without eating and could barely talk.

Prichard said it’s believed Bol contracted the skin disease as a reaction to kidney medication he took while in Africa.

Janis Ricker, operations manager of Sudan Sunrise, said Saturday the organization will continue its work building the school in Bol’s home village in southern Sudan. She said Bol’s goal was to build 41 schools throughout Sudan.
                  http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;...ug=ap-obit-bol

man, he went there to help his people and future generations and what he got in return was death.

but, he also did get a lasting legacy and became a legend as both a basketball player and a person.

goodnight sweet sudanese prince

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
                    i would but it would have been easier if you could just post it.

Good point.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_yl...ltribute061910

Comment

nice story

Comment

The good don't always die young but it happened with Mr. Bol.

May his family, loved ones and fans find comfort in their time of grieving.
                        Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                        Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Working...
                        X