• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drafting by Similarity

June 24, 2010
    Drafting by Similarity Pick Comparisons

by Kevin Pelton

I regret that, because of my work within the NBA, I'm unable to bring you a full preview of tonight's NBA Draft as I did last season. To give some idea of what the numbers have to say about this year's college prospects, what I can offer is the most similar player at the same age from my college database (going back to 2000) for each, as well as the level of similarity (with perfect being 100) and some brief commentary. For more on the method, see last year's draft preview.

Players are ranked by their current spot in DraftExpress' mock draft.
    This is an interesting analysis. I don't agree with some of his comparisons of projected first round picks but overall I think it is pretty good.

He sees a similarity between

Favors and Bosh

Possible Raptors Draft PIck
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Davis and Cedric Simmons - LOL
    Udoh and Loren Woods - LOL
    Henry and T. Young
    George and J. Johnson - Seems about right to me
    Patterson and D.J. White
    Aldrich and Okafor

Bradley and Dujuan Wagner - I think this is over rating Bradley. Wagner put up awesome numbers in high school and during his time at Memphis. Then he had serious debilitating health problems. Bradley's number don't come close. Wagner also had about 25 pounds more muscle on his body.

Sanders and Jason Thompson
    Alabi and Jason Thompson

Orton and Robin Lopez - I think this may be a bit of a stretch for Orton at least for the next couple of seasons.

Whiteside and B. Haywood
    Bledsoe and J. Farmar

For the other players projected to be drafted see link. Sorry if I missed any potential Raptors pick.

http://www.basketballprospectus.com/...articleid=1168
    Last edited by Buddahfan; Thu Jun 24, 2010, 09:28 AM.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.
Working...
X