Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Ed Davis Mean the End of Amir Johnson Toronto?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Ed Davis Mean the End of Amir Johnson Toronto?

The title says it all. Please discuss.

I don't think so, if Bosh doesn't come back Davis, Bargnani, Johnson will be a strong big man rotation with complementary skills. Davis and Johnson don't seem to clash with each other, and without Johnson our front court would be Bargnani, a rookie, Reggie, and Joey Dorsey, which is pretty thin, so I think BC would still want Amir back.

Edit: I forgot about Alabi. Now him and Amir have quite similar skillsets, so getting him might mean something...

Comment

I doubt it. I wouldn't be surprised if Amir and E.D. split minutes, maybe 24 apiece.

Comment

No it means the end of Chris Bosh or rather the acceptance by managment that Chris Bosh is unlikely to be re-signed.

Lets not forget that also Rasho is gone and POB is gone and if there are any takers then Reggie Evans will be gone so there are spots for bigs in the roster.

Lets just hope that Amir accepts Toronto offer and we at least get one worry out of the way.

Comment

I don't think so especially if Bosh is gone.

Comment

Kennay wrote: View Post
            I don't think so, if Bosh doesn't come back Davis, Bargnani, Johnson will be a strong big man rotation with complementary skills. Davis and Johnson don't seem to clash with each other, and without Johnson our front court would be Bargnani, a rookie, Reggie, and Joey Dorsey, which is pretty thin, so I think BC would still want Amir back.

Edit: I forgot about Alabi. Now him and Amir have quite similar skillsets, so getting him might mean something...
            Alabi is no where close to Johnson this year and probably next year.

I dare to say that Davis is not even close to what Johnson can do on the floor this year.

Comment

Amir spent the week in Detroit and I am sure Duffy is working the phone lines. Pop will probably make another run at him like he did three years ago and Flip would love to have him in Washington after coaching him in Detroit.

I am sure Johnson will make the best decision for himself.
              Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
              Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

PG: Jose Calderon / Jarrett Jack / Marcus Banks
                SG: Demar DeRozen / Marco Belinelli
                SF: Turkulgu / Sonny Weem
                PF: Ed Davis / Amir Johnson (free agent)/ Reggie Evans
                C: Andrea Bargnani / Soloman
                Last edited by KakashiPrince; Fri Jun 25, 2010, 12:30 AM.

Comment

Kennay wrote: View Post

Amir's a PF, Alabi's a center. I don't see why one would effect the other.

And I don't see this stopping the Raptors from offering a contract to Amir. Amir might not want to sign, but Davis is a rookie. And a bit of a project at that. I don't see Davis starting at first, so having Amir will be necessary.

A quote from Draft Express....

Defensively and as a rebounder is where Davis shows the most potential, thanks to his rare combination of fundamentals and physical tools. He ranks as one of the best shot-blockers in college basketball, being a major presence in the paint with his terrific length and timing, and should be able to make big strides as a post-defender and rim-protector as he continues to add strength to his frame. His wingspan allows him to go well outside of his area for rebounds as well, again being very productive in this area on both ends of the floor with his 12.4 rebounds per-40 minutes pace adjusted

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...#ixzz0rpsyaExq
                  http://www.draftexpress.com
                  Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                  Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Nah, I think they'll keep both. There are enough minutes available + Amir will be signing a cost effective contract + there is a lack of alternative bigs on the market who would better complement Davis/Bargnani in that price bracket.

If Toronto gets a big man, say David Lee, in a Chris Bosh sign and trade ... that coupled with Ed Davis could force Amir Johnson out of the Toronto but for now I think they'll look to keep Amir.
                    nbaroundtable

Comment

Dave wrote: View Post
                      Nah, I think they'll keep both. There are enough minutes available + Amir will be signing a cost effective contract + there is a lack of alternative bigs on the market who would better complement Davis/Bargnani in that price bracket.

If Toronto gets a big man, say David Lee, in a Chris Bosh sign and trade ... that coupled with Ed Davis could force Amir Johnson out of the Toronto but for now I think they'll look to keep Amir.
                      BC has already stated he wants Johnson to return and Johnson likes Toronto and Triano. He is also buddies with DeRozan. However, none of us really have a clue what he is looking for in his next contract.

1. He might want to play for a possible Finals team next season and could get an offer from one

2. He might want to play in CA and get an offer from a CA team.

I am sure that he will have more than a half a dozen offers and will make the best choice for himself based upon what his goals are.

Raptors fans shouldn't worry about it, after all the Raptors now have Ed Davis.
                      Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                      Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Dave wrote: View Post

Why on earth would the Raptors get David Lee back after drafting Ed Davis? Actually, this is even better news. By drafting Ed Davis, it pretty much guarantees David Lee is NOT going to be in a Raptors jersey next year. Things are looking better and better all the time.
                        Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                          Amir's a PF, Alabi's a center. I don't see why one would effect the other.
                          Well yeah, okay, those are their "positions". A lot of people had Amir tabbed playing some back up centre minutes though, and what he brings to the table is hustle and defense, quite similar to Alabi, and I dare say Alabi is projected to be better offensively then Amir. Maybe BC saw a chance to grab a cheaper replacement with higher upside. Its a perfectly viable thought process.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                            Why on earth would the Raptors get David Lee back after drafting Ed Davis? Actually, this is even better news. By drafting Ed Davis, it pretty much guarantees David Lee is NOT going to be in a Raptors jersey next year. Things are looking better and better all the time.
                            Totally agree Tim... I pray every day that D. Lee doesn't come to Toronto. I'm not sure why ppl have a man-crush on D. Lee... he can't defend worth a lick!

I'm a huge tar heel fan so to have one of Ed's calibre & pedigree on the team makes me very happy.

Comment

photoman wrote: View Post
                              Totally agree Tim... I pray every day that D. Lee doesn't come to Toronto. I'm not sure why ppl have a man-crush on D. Lee... he can't defend worth a lick!

I'm a huge tar heel fan so to have one of Ed's calibre & pedigree on the team makes me very happy.
                              Some Raptor fans don't know what they want. They rip on Bosh and Bargnani for their defense and then proceed to want David Lee as the replacement. They rip on Calderon for his defense and then proceed to want Monta Ellis. They rip on DeRozan for his defense and then want Kevin Martin.

I think they just like the pretty offensive numbers.

Comment

Working...
                              X