Chad Ford's Raptors Draft Grade - B+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chad Ford's Raptors Draft Grade - B+

This is from ESPN Insider and Ford's grade from last night's draft.

TORONTO RAPTORS - GRADE: B+

Round 1: Ed Davis (13)

Round 2: Solomon Alabi (50, obtained from Dallas)

Analysis: The Raptors were trying like crazy to move up in the draft only to have a consensus top-eight pick fall into their laps at No. 13. With Chris Bosh likely out the door, Davis is a solid replacement. He doesn't have any of the offensive talents of Bosh, but he is a long, athletic big man who will crash the boards and run the floor. He needs to bulk up, but eventually he and Andrea Bargnani should complement each other nicely in the frontcourt.

Alabi appears to be a steal for the Raptors. He slid after teams became concerned about a medical report from the NBA draft combine. But his camp said that teams misunderstood the situation and he'll be fine. If he is, the Raptors stole a 7-foot shot blocker in the late second round.
    Source - Click here

How to turn that B+ into an A+: swing a deal for either Bradley or Ebanks.

Comment

jeff_hostetler wrote: View Post
      How to turn that B+ into an A+: swing a deal for either Bradley or Ebanks.

To the trade machine!

Comment

I don't understand how that's not an A. How could the Raptors have done any better with what they had?

And please, no Bradley. I breathed a sigh of relief when he went elsewhere.
        Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Semi to long term if both end up as starters the Raps will be requiring their scoring to come mostly from the smalls which is a departure from the current. Which of course means DD better get his scoring cap on and a major upgrade to the SF position.

This certainly looks to be clearly a team in transition and the timing of acquisition of other pieces is crucial. Get them too early and we run the risk of the acquisitions peaking too early/wasted before these draftees reach their maturity. The other question is that it also seems that AB might be the centre piece. Is this a good descision?

Comment

I am completely satisfied with this. I've been saying in here for a while that I would love to see Ed Davis in Raptors red but I didn't think he stood a chance of making it to 13. A big thank you to all those late risers, you are great.

Alabi is a guy people had going in the late 20's until this medical crap came out. I think this is an excellent pick. I'm not sure year one will be a year where he gets big minutes but I think he's a second round pick that not only sticks but goes on you be a fine role player in the NBA. I love his story and I will be cheering for him.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
              Yeah, I could go either way actually on Bradley. What i really want for Canada Day is Ebanks. Ebanks and Arenas. Ebanks, Arenas and Deng. Is that too much to ask?

1) S&T Bosh for Deng & Taj Gibson (5m or so in cap savings for the Raps).
              2) Calderon to Lakers for Ebanks, Shannon Brown S&T ($3m enough to convince him to play with the Raps?), Vujacic (filler).
              3) Jack, Taj Gibson and Evans to Wiz for Arenas (we can absorb the extra salary due to the Bosh S&T savings - Wiz get excellent young PF pair with Blatche & Gibson, nearly 20/20 between them, and a great back up for Wall. Also this clears more space for the Wiz to get F/A's, nearly negating the extra salary taken on by Hinrich).

With Arenas, Derozan, Deng and Bargs we'd get our scoring.
              With Deng, Ebanks, Johnson, Davis and Alabi we'd get our rebs.
              Defense is still a bit weak, but much better then last year, with upgrades at all positions (except for maybe C, though i expect Bargs to keep getting better).

On top of all that, we'd still have our MLE, I think, as well. And whatever we can get for Turk.

Looks good to me.

Comment

jeff_hostetler wrote: View Post
                Yeah, I could go either way actually on Bradley. What i really want for Canada Day is Ebanks. Ebanks and Arenas. Ebanks, Arenas and Deng. Is that too much to ask?

1) S&T Bosh for Deng & Taj Gibson (5m or so in cap savings for the Raps).
                2) Calderon to Lakers for Ebanks, Shannon Brown S&T ($3m enough to convince him to play with the Raps?), Vujacic (filler).
                3) Jack, Taj Gibson and Evans to Wiz for Arenas (we can absorb the extra salary due to the Bosh S&T savings - Wiz get excellent young PF pair with Blatche & Gibson, nearly 20/20 between them, and a great back up for Wall. Also this clears more space for the Wiz to get F/A's, nearly negating the extra salary taken on by Hinrich).

With Arenas, Derozan, Deng and Bargs we'd get our scoring.
                With Deng, Ebanks, Johnson, Davis and Alabi we'd get our rebs.
                Defense is still a bit weak, but much better then last year, with upgrades at all positions (except for maybe C, though i expect Bargs to keep getting better).

On top of all that, we'd still have our MLE, I think, as well. And whatever we can get for Turk.

Looks good to me.
                Looks good to me, too. Although my first thought when LA drafted Ebanks was that it could be part of the long-rumoured Bosh/Bynum trade (which I still think is a longshot but which I would love to see happen), with LA knowing how Toronto liked Ebanks, and needing to provide a good asset as insurance against Bynum's injury potential.

Comment

Yeah i've had enough of the Bradley talk. He's going to be good but I think BC made the right choice.

Overall i'm very happy with how things went.
                  Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                    I don't understand how that's not an A. How could the Raptors have done any better with what they had?

Well, it would have been A+ had John Wall slid to them, so you have to leave some leeway between that and Davis slipping to them.

I actually was a little disappointed that Bradley went to Boston (especially to Boston). I'm a firm believer that the team someone starts on is as critical to that player's development as the player himself (Rondo would not be the PG he is now if he played for certain other teams), and Boston is one of the ideal places for Bradley. There are so many other teams I'd rather see him on, and even though I did not want to pick him with the #13, I think #19-25 would have been a good point to take a flyer on him.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                      The other question is that it also seems that AB might be the centre piece. Is this a good descision?
                      One thing at a time. I'm content thinking DeRozan and Davis are our centerpieces for the future, with the rest of the team picked to complement them.

Comment

Any draft grades provided by anyone needs to be taken with a grain of salt, including Chad Ford. In fact, here are some Chad Ford draft reviews given:

Darko is really one of a kind. He runs the floor, handles the ball, shoots the NBA 3 and plays with his back to the basket, so you can slot him in at the 3, 4 or 5 positions. OK, a few other guys can do that too; what sets Darko apart is his toughness in the post. You have to love a guy who has the footwork to spin by an opponent but still prefers to lower a shoulder and bang. Fact is, Milicic plays in attack-mode at both ends of the floor. The more you push, the more he pushes back. While he won't be asked to carry the Pistons, he's capable of doing this earlier than you think.
                        On Marcus Banks (don't know what he said for Avery Bradley 'cause I don't have inside, but I bet it's something similar):

This was the guy the Celtics wanted all along. He's strong, athletic and is a good defender. He lacks the perimeter shot and playmaking skills that you'd like in a point guard here, but in the Celtics offense his goal will be to set a frantic pace.
                        On picking up Kendrick Perkins

Not a surprise. The Grizzlies are making this pick for the Celtics. The Celtics promised him that they'd take him and once we figured out that they had moved to No. 27, it was pretty clear that this was his guy. I don't like these picks for the Celtics. I'm not sure how it helps them in the short term or long term.
                        I'm not trying to rag on Chad Ford, everyone has misconceptions about players in June because THEY HAVEN'T SEEN THEM PLAY IN THE NBA YET. Let's just wait, hope, and pray that Ed Davis turns into our own version of Al Horford. Oh, and also that BC is fixing the SF and PG problem.

Comment

Wow. I'd like to try and get those Milicic and Banks guys. They sound pretty damn good.
                          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Yeah, lol. I know Bradley was the top defender at his position (whatever that is) in college, but considering the NBA is where top NCAA careers often go to die, there's just a bit too much hype on a player who has yet to defend a NBA player (stronger, faster, taller).

It's like all the players that are said to have serious potential as a lockdown defender. Joey Graham was one of those. So was DeRozan (jury is still out on him).

Comment

it was reported that alabi fell so low because of ADHD.

that was later denied and shot down.
                              If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Working...
                              X