FA By Numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FA By Numbers

Today, we go inside, starting with the big men who draw the most attention. Then we look at the guys who provide support.

Notes:

Players are ranked by efficiency per 40 minutes (EP40), with a minimum of 1,000 minutes played in the 2009-10 season.

Efficiency = Pts. + Reb. + Ast. + Stl. + Blk. -- TO -- missed FG -- missed FT

All ages are as of July 1.
    POST PRESENCES
    1. Chris Bosh, 26 years old, Toronto Raptors
    24.0 PPG, 10.8 RPG, 2.4 APG, 0.97 BPG, .518 FG%, 29.6 EP40

No player in the league averaged more points and rebounds than Bosh did this season. He had the best statistical season of his career, ranking fourth in the league in efficiency per game.

Bosh likes to work out of the high post and he's a solid shooter out to 20 feet (he shot 48 percent from 15-19 feet this season). He can also find the open man when he's doubled.

Defense is another story. Bosh isn't a horrible defender, but he isn't a difference maker on that end either. The Raptors were the worst defensive team in the league this past season, a significant blemish on Bosh's otherwise strong resume.
    INTERIOR ROLE PLAYERS
    3. Amir Johnson, 23 years old, Toronto Raptors
    6.2 PPG, 4.8 RPG, 0.6 APG, 0.80 BPG, .623 FG%, 22.5 EP40

Johnson's not a starter on a playoff team, but you could do a lot worse when looking to sign guys for your second unit. Johnson played almost 1,500 minutes off the bench for the Raptors this season, and they were a better team, especially defensively, with him on the floor. Just don't ask him to shoot from beyond five feet.

9. Kris Humphries, 25 years old, New Jersey Nets
    7.1 PPG, 5.5 RPG, 0.5 APG, 0.70 BPG, .441 FG%, 20.4 EP40

Humphries has a $3.2 million player option for next season that he probably should exercise. He's the only free agent power forward that shot worse than Thomas this past season. An energy guy, Humphries has solid scoring and rebounding numbers (15.9 points and 12.4 boards per 40 minutes), but like Thomas, his basketball IQ leaves a lot to be desired.
    Source: NBA.com

That's probably a fair summary of where Johnson's game was last season except for two things

1. He did shoot 76% from the free throw line after that all-star game. The last time I checked the free throw line was 15 feet from the basket which is about 3X five feet from the basket.

I expect his jump shooting to be vastly improved come November. The question is will it be in the low post, as in turn around jumper in the paint or just off of it or it will it be face up jumpers from the elbow or both. We shall see.

2. He is no longer a Free Agent
    Last edited by Buddahfan; Sat Jun 26, 2010, 07:30 PM.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Working...
    X