Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Zicarelli This Dumb Or Did I Miss Something?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Zicarelli This Dumb Or Did I Miss Something?

Raps in a world of hurt
    By FRANK ZICARELLI, Toronto Sun

Last Updated: June 30, 2010 12:32am

As much as the Raptors want Amir Johnson and could use his athleticism, energy and defence, Johnson is in line to cash in and the Raptors aren’t exactly loaded with cap space.
    25. How long must a player be with one team before the Larry Bird exception can be used?

The basic idea is that a player must play for the same team for three seasons for his team to gain Bird rights (two seasons for Early Bird rights). It can be a single three-year contract, a series of three one-year contracts, or any combination that adds up to three seasons (two for Early Bird). However there are a number of complications:

* When a player is traded, his new team inherits his Bird rights. For example, if a player signs a three-year contract, plays two and a half seasons with that team, and is traded at the trade deadline in the third season, then his new team owns full Bird rights following the third season.
    * The player must complete his contract immediately prior to becoming a free agent, which essentially means he can't have been waived. If he signs a series of contracts, then this only applies to the last contract. If a team signs a player and waives him after one game, signs and waives him after one game again the next year, and in the third year signs him and keeps him the entire season, then they will have full Bird rights following the third season.

27. Does the Larry Bird exception mean that free agents can be signed and not count against the cap?

All salaries are included in team salary (and count against the cap). The Bird exception simply says a team can exceed the cap to sign certain players. The new salary applies toward the team salary just like the salaries of the team's other players. So if a team is over the cap and uses the Bird exception to re-sign its own free agent, it will end up farther over the cap.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q25

Updated: July 12, 2007, 9:03 PM ET
    Sources: Pistons, forward Johnson agree to 3-year deal

Restricted free-agent forward Amir Johnson has agreed to re-sign with the Detroit Pistons for an estimated $12 million over three years, NBA front-office sources told ESPN.com on Thursday.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2934290

Conclusion: The Raptors hold Johnson's Bird Rights therefore cap space is not an issue in resigning him. As I have posted previously cap space issue might only come into play if a team wants to sign free agents that they do not hold the Bird Rights to. The only way that the signing of a free agent that a team holds the Bird Rights to affects their cap situation is if they sign that player before they sign other free agents.

That would then impact and reduce the amount of money that a team had left to sign other free agents. If the signing of the player with Bird Rights takes a team over the Salary Cap then the only way that they can sign other free agents is by using one of the myriad of "Exemptions" that the NBA provides like the MLE, Bi-Annual etc available to sign other players.

However, cap space limitations do not affect the ability of a team to sign any free agent of which they hold that player's Bird Rights

Since the Raptors hold Johnson's Bird Rights his signing by the Raptors is not impacted by the Raptors cap space situation.

Does Zicarelli get paid to write for the Toronto Sun?
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Yes, he has his facts wrong. I think it's common knowledge in here that the Raptors have Amir's Bird rights. Maybe we should hit the Sun up for jobs?

Comment

I stopped reading the article after I caught that line.
      Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
        Yes, he has his facts wrong. I think it's common knowledge in here that the Raptors have Amir's Bird rights. Maybe we should hit the Sun up for jobs?
        Maybe you could get a max contract if you got the Sun to agree to a S&T... except that I doubt RR would be willing to take back Zicarelli.

Comment

^^ Lol...good one.
          The NBA Larry O'Brien Trophy's 'Big Decision': "This is hard..(smiling)...but..I've decided to take my talents to North Texas, to join The Dallas Mavericks.

"My Gladiator verses VS. what ya verse says"--Adversaree
          Check out my song "Beat Fighter 2010" (prod. by Pete Cannon)
          www.myspace.com/adversareeteamfresh
          http://www.youtube.com/user/adversaree
          http://twitter.com/#!/GiftOfSpeech (Twitter)

Comment

Are the Bird's rights transferable thru Milwaukee (we got AJ from them) ...he having signed his last contract in Detroit?

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
              Are the Bird's rights transferable thru Milwaukee (we got AJ from them) ...he having signed his last contract in Detroit?
              Anytime you trade a player, you also trade his Bird rights.

Comment

Bird rights transfer through trades. The key piece is how long he's been under contract.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                  frank you've been fired. we're bringing in these two new idiots although they'll prolly do a better job then you.

you know what they say: two heads are better than one tiny dumbass one.
                  If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

I think you're all missing it. Obviously we CAN sign Amir with his Bird rights, but "the Raptors aren't exactly loaded with cap space", so maybe management will not want to make another long-term committment and end up going over the luxury tax.

He was just appealing to the casual fan by not making things too complicated. At least that was my understanding...

Comment

Buddahfan, no offense, but you really didn't need to go to all that trouble since it really is common knowledge that the Raptors hold Amir's bird rights. It really is shocking that Zicarelli not only typed this, but that no one at the Star knew enough to question the article. Wow. That's just amazingly stupid. Maybe Frank is one of those readers on Doug Smith's blog that writes in with obvious questions, like, "How did Washington trade for Hinrich without sending anything back and why didn't the Raptors do that? I thought you had to match salaries?"
                      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

arsenalist wrote: View Post
                        anytime you trade a player, you also trade his bird rights.
                        nba cba 101
                        RR OG

Comment

Working...
                        X