ESPN: Bosh Not Worth Max Deal Without LeBron or Wade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN: Bosh Not Worth Max Deal Without LeBron or Wade

Good article this evening from LZ Granderson from ESPN and pretty darn accurate with his comment that unless Bosh is teaming up either Wade or LeBron, it would be a mistake for a team to offer Bosh a maximum deal. Like it or not, Bosh is getting a max deal regardless.

I don't dislike Stoudemire. And he is supposed to be cocky enough to think of himself as a max player. But GMs are supposed to be savvy, recognize he is a second-tier All-Star and to treat him as such. The same goes for Joe Johnson and Carlos Boozer and probably Chris Bosh, who in five years as the Raptors' go-to guy has played in only 11 playoff games. These players are extremely talented but have proved over the years that they are not showcase pieces to be built around. They are complementary players who can help get a franchise closer to the promised land. Otherwise Dwyane Wade and LeBron would be waiting to see where they signed first, not the other way around.

Still, teams like the Knicks and Nets and anybody who misses out on the Big 2 will be bidding against each other and will feel compelled to offer these players the same contract they were hoping to offer better players just to show fans -- and maybe an impatient owner -- they are trying to improve.

And they will improve, but it won't be proportional to the money they will spend. Eventually these teams will hit a ceiling because they won't have any extra money to improve and the second-tier talent they signed won't win enough. Then in about three years the teams will try to move a bad contract and start over as if stuck in a hamster wheel. Remember, not long after Utah overpaid for Boozer in 2004, he was on the trading block.
    Source - Click here

Couldn't have said it better myself
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

When ESPN refers to GMs as savvy, are they including that guy who gave Gasol to the Lakers?

Comment

excellent article.

Comment

geebee wrote: View Post
          When ESPN refers to GMs as savvy, are they including that guy who gave Gasol to the Lakers?
          That was a good trade for Memphis.

1. It got them Marc Gasol who is younger than Pua and is already a double double guy after only two years.

2. They got Kwame's expiring contract and eventually turned it into Zack Randolph.

So in effect the Grizz gave up Pau for Marc Gasol and Zack Randolph. I would say a win win trade for both teams.
          Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
          Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

There was also Javaris Crittendon of Arenas gun toting fame and 2 first rounders (I think these may have translated to something as well). Popovich of the Spurs a couple of years after apologized for the remarks he first made of the deal and said the Grizzlies did pretty good after all.

Comment

Bosh is a second tier free agent, just like he's a second tier player in this league. He isn't on the level of Kobe, LeBron, Wade, Melo, Duncan, Paul, Howard, Deron Williams, etc.

Comment

Realist wrote: View Post
                Bosh is a second tier free agent, just like he's a second tier player in this league. He isn't on the level of Kobe, LeBron, Wade, Melo, Duncan, Paul, Howard, Deron Williams, etc.
                your a real hater on Bosh
                i dont really understand how hes not a 1st tier player
                whatever though

Comment

This article makes the same mistake as every other person who has said the same thing.

yes, Bosh is second tier compared to leBron and a few others,
                  yes, a team built around him as its biggest star may well not have championship success
                  but that doesn't mean he isn't worth a max contract, and if his teams don't win it's not because he's overpaid. It's because they just don't have enough talent, and having talent is not a matter just of dollars and cents. if leBron was paid market value, he'd be worth 50 million a year, and Bosh might well make, say, 25. That's still a max contract, and whatever team gets him will be lucky to have him.

But whatever.

Comment

Everyone on your list has had better players around them than Bosh. (Maybe not Paul).

Comment

Realist is bang on and the list is actually longer of better players than Bosh. The article nails exactly what many of us have been saying, and the proof is right here in Toronto where we are living the scenario of trying to build a team around a second tier player like Bosh, but especially bad is that he thinks he's a first tier player.

Comment

Working...
                      X