Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could Turkoglu Thrive as the Focal Point Here in Toronto?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could Turkoglu Thrive as the Focal Point Here in Toronto?

Apparently there a members within the Raptors organization that feel that way.

However, the team does have needs in the frontcourt – even with draft pick Ed Davis there isn’t much depth there – and there may be a need for a small forward depending on what happens with Hedo Turkoglu.

But when Bosh goes, there are sources in the Raptors organization who can see the disgruntled Turkoglu coming back in an enhanced role that won’t be impacted by an offence that sometimes went stagnant when Bosh was its focal point.

The thinking is, if Bosh and his proclivity for holding the ball are out of the mix, Turkoglu could thrive with expanded responsibilities.
    Source - Click here

Yeah, it's certainly possible I think. If he comes back in shape, ready to play and plays well, I think all will be forgiven (ok most will be forgiven).

Or to put it in his words:

Ball.
    Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

I think so too. I think if Bosh is gone and assuming one of the point guards is traded, Turkoglu will have the offence start with him and him running the play. The only thing he has to do before coming back to Toronto is to stop eating pizza, get in shape, and say that all his whining and thumb sucking are all but a misunderstanding.

Comment

Mess wrote: View Post
        Yeah, it's certainly possible I think. If he comes back in shape, ready to play and plays well, I think all will be forgiven (ok most will be forgiven).

Or to put it in his words:
        i'm not sure i mean he traumatized jack armstrong...jack armstrong! the nicest guy in the world.
        If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

In one of his interviews last week, BC mentioned that he has a concern that departure of both Bosh and Hedo will take away too much talent from the Raptor team.

So I will not be surprised if he keeps Hedo for another year and tries to raise his stock about before trading him or ....

I personally rather blow this whole team up and go for a total rebuild than have a guy like Hedo or ... and stay mediocre.

Comment

i dont think hedo is a bad player he just did not fit in well with Toronto last season
            ya dun noe

Comment

Why is no one talking about his defence? It sucked.

If decent value coming back were not available, keep him until the next trade deadline. We are in rebuild mode anyway.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                Why is no one talking about his defence? It sucked.

If decent value coming back were not available, keep him until the next trade deadline. We are in rebuild mode anyway.
                Nobody's talking about his defence because finding a player on the Raps last season who did NOT suck on defence would be a challenge. No question some of last year's team will have to be moved, but the ones who don't move aren't going to suddenly learn how to play defence.

I'd prefer to keep Turk for 2 reasons:

1. Based on what we've seen in Orlando, we know his potential in the right system is higher than he delivered last year.
                2. Based on his performance last year, we wouldn't get fair value in a trade.

Now that Bosh is gone, hopefully BC will start looking to build a system around the returning players he has and trade for pieces to fit that system. Simply trading for the best he can get doesn't mean they're the best for the Raps. Certainly, Turk proved that.

Comment

Yeah I really think with a new system implemented, Hedo could have his value rise for next offseason where if we sell him we actually get some good stuff back so I dont mind him staying here. Not to mention I actually think he can still be a god player despite his attitude he could very well win some games for us this year.

Comment

screw it !!
                    Please dont bring him back
                    We saw how good he was last year, i would rather him thrive on a new team than have him back in Toronto

Comment

Raptors fans sure flip flop a whole bunch.

Comment

As deplorable his attitude have been, Hedo still has value in this team especially when Bosh leaves. It doesn't take a PHD to realize that Bosh was the ONLY focal point of the offence - you know, the "move-the-ball-around-the-horn-once-then-Chris-touches-the-ball-for-ten-seconds-then-drains-the-18-footer-with-four-guys-standing-and-watching".

It is no secret that Colangelo is not only obsessed with Euros but players that are "quirky" and apart from the typical NBA mold (a 7-foot center that shoots threes and a 6-10 small forward that handles the ball). For those reasons, both Hedo and Bargs stay (not that I'm obsessed with these guys either but BC is knee deep in his Euro investments and there's no turning back).

Hedo will be better if he stays especially when Bosh leaves. Two young athletic bigs (Alibi and Davis) will do the dirty work now and in the future, while Bargs camps out beyond the rainbow. Like it or not, this is the team. More importantly, this is BC's mark whether he sticks around to see it come to fruition or gets fired halfway through the season.
                        “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

geebee wrote: View Post
                          Nobody's talking about his defence because finding a player on the Raps last season who did NOT suck on defence would be a challenge. No question some of last year's team will have to be moved, but the ones who don't move aren't going to suddenly learn how to play defence.

I'd prefer to keep Turk for 2 reasons:

1. Based on what we've seen in Orlando, we know his potential in the right system is higher than he delivered last year.
                          2. Based on his performance last year, we wouldn't get fair value in a trade.

Now that Bosh is gone, hopefully BC will start looking to build a system around the returning players he has and trade for pieces to fit that system. Simply trading for the best he can get doesn't mean they're the best for the Raps. Certainly, Turk proved that.
                          Turk thrived with the Magic for multiple reasons...all starting with the name Howard. Period. And yes you are absolutely correct, players need to be acquired in the context of the other players on the team and the system it plays. However in defense of an acquisition, at this level and with a veteran player acquisition, one expects the new player to adjust their game somewhat nevermind being professional enough to be in shape, provide some leadership and not whine too much. And there was that little matter of Jameer Nelson being injured and Hedo got somewhat "lucky" about being in the position to run the Magic. He does have that talent, but to expect him or anyone to hang their hat entirely on that one aspect when coming to a new situation and throw a team into disarray is a bit much for me to swallow.

I did mention that if a degree of fair value did not come back at this time then trade him later in the year. GMs are astute enough to recognize that Turk has talents but prefers not to apply them/cannot be applied with the Raps. The problem is really the length of his deal but someone could get desperate because of injuries or consider Hedo being the player to take them over the top before the next playoffs.

Comment

This isn't a matter of if he can or can't, it's a matter of if he deserves that kind of responsibility after how he acted last season and what it would say about the club's philosophy to give him that.

Comment

If Hedo stays or in other words will be forced to stay , BC should declare what offers he had taken from other teams during this period. If they had been really scrubs , its OK, its something understandable, its better to keep him one more year to recover his value under new circumstances. But , a big but, if he really took some offers like Pietrus-Gortah or Gortah + TE or Delambert or some shorter contract that gives space for next year moves --> then its a complete mess. Under broken relation him and city its is very very high risk which shouldn't be taken in next year.

Comment

Working...
                              X