Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Are Triano's Chances of Getting Fired?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Are Triano's Chances of Getting Fired?

Do you guys think its feasible this season if things continue to downward spiral that Jay will get the boot?

You can't fire the team. Outside of Bosh we don't really have anyone of significant value to trade right now. This team has a billion dollars in vested in a few average players which will hurt the Raptors in the long run. So, is the only logical option right now in order to inject some new blood to fire Triano?

As well, how bad would that be that we'd be paying 3 coaches at the same time. Smitch, Jay and then whomever they would bring in to replace Triano. Yikes

Talk about a team that's a walking disaster.

how about fire bc?...he put this team together...he had the choice of going out and getting a coach he wanted....he stuck with jay.....

Comment

I don't like what Triano has done so far but after signing him to an extension, it's highly unlikely he gets fired this season. Perhaps when the season ends if the team doesn't perform to par but I don't see it happening. BC needs to pick up the phone and make some calls and get hustlers on defense and on the boards. Houston's got a bunch just to throw a team out there.
      Toronto's Finest

Comment

A00715890 wrote: View Post
        how about fire bc?...he put this team together...he had the choice of going out and getting a coach he wanted....he stuck with jay.....

By default, Triano goes if BC gets axed, can't see another reputable GM coming in here without the option of choosing his coach and I have my doubts about it being Jay.

It sucks, because I like Jay as a person and even wanted him to have success, its just that it has been worse with him than Sam, from day one.

You guys have to realize, Sam lived and died by how his team performed, he took it personally. If you recall in the earlier days he lost a lot! It was taking a toll on his pride, and soon through trial and error, and occasionally wiping the sweat off his brow, he figured out a way to use a Bargnani, Bosh and Jose to get us into the playoffs. It wasn't easy, he still got flack... but he did a lot better with what at the time everyone agreed was a flawed roster. He started poorly, but grew each year as coach.

However, due to his demeanor with the media (which is how you communicate with the fans) he built up resentment. In essence, he actually created a fertile environment in the fan base to be an easy scapegoat for Bryan's poor choices.
        Last edited by trizzo; Thu Dec 3, 2009, 01:00 AM.

Comment

Yes, I think there's a strong possibility that Jay Triano gets fired before the season ends.

Colangelo? I don't think he's in any danger yet. He'll be given more time and ample opportunity to try and turn this around. But the media + fans are slowly turning against him so future failures will really turn up the pressure on him.
          nbaroundtable

Comment

Agree, I don't think he is in trouble now.

At the same time, it is easy to see how a successful GM can greatly increases the value of a franchise. In the end, it will be about money. If the franchise feels that it can improve its value by hiring someone of higher capacity, it will.

Raptor fans may like Bryan, but if fan interest continues to decline, that hurts the franchise both in revenue and ability to leverage against its value. MLSE cares more about facts and figures than personal relations, their accountability is to the shareholders.

Something has to be done, soon... and Bryan knows this. He doesn't want to get beat by an MLSE henchman to his desk.
            Last edited by trizzo; Thu Dec 3, 2009, 02:04 AM.

Comment

Zero, BC may as well fire himself if he does that.

Comment

Changing the coach may be the best way to turn things around.

Jay hasn't shown much skill in working with what he's got. (Even if he just hit my personal win projection for the 20 game mark - oh yah, he hit that 5 games ago)
                The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Comment

Brian should have never fired Sam last year this time. The team wasn't playing that bad. He should have stuck it out and fired him at the end of the season. Since Sam got canned this team has only become worse. Colangelo went with Jay, in my honest opinion, because he hoped he could mold him into what he wanted. Well, it has failed. Colangelo needs to run what his coach is best at doing and if that's not a Euro-style team then so be it. There are some coaches out there, establish coaches, who could come in and immediately create a spark.

Jeff Van Gundy would be the best option hands down but he's expressed the idea that he doesn't want to coach right now.

Avery Johnson and Paul Silas would be an improvement. And, yes, I realize that Johnson is limited in some of the same ways as Sam was... Here's a wish that will never happen in a million years... Butch Carter.
                  Last edited by Apollo; Thu Dec 3, 2009, 12:35 PM.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                    Brian should have never fired Sam last year this time. The team wasn't playing that bad. He should have stuck it out and fired him at the end of the season. Since Sam got canned this team has only become worse. Colangelo went with Jay, in my honest opinion, because he hoped he could mold him into what he wanted. Well, it has failed. Colangelo needs to run what his coach is best at doing and if that's not a Euro-style team then so be it. There are some coaches out there, establish coaches, who could come in and immediately create a spark.
                    You're right Apollo. This was kind of something I touched on here at the forums last month. Firing Sam and promoting Jay didn't make sense and to me still doesn't.

This is what I said about it:

I have always been skeptical of Colangelo's decision in firing Sam and replacing him with his assistant in Triano, but I'm just curious to know what you guys think on how exactly was it going to change the coaching philosophies of this team moving forward.

It appears to be nothing really has changed all that much. We still depend on the three point shot (excluding Bosh this season), we're still horribly porous on defence, we tend to shy away from the physical game and intensity and emotion still continues to lack. Unless you count Jose's waving of this arms to pump up the crowd. There are some other I guess idiosyncrasies if I can call them that, which are very much still instilled with this team too.

At the time do you not think moving forward that the best idea for this organization was to clean house and terminate the entire staff instead of just releasing the leader at the time? Or, do some of you think BC still made the right decision looking back now?

Comment

Working...
                    X