Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quixotic wrote: View Post
    Nice fix. =P

But just to show how stats can be misleading, let's look at the quality of those 7 opponents (team, margin, final win%):

Indiana +6 .439
    Washington +10 .232
    Charlotte +9 .427
    Toronto -3 .402
    New Jersey +13 .415
    Boston +2 .756
    Sacremento -13 .207

So pretty much, the only decent team they "won" a first quarter against was Boston, and only barely. Against teams with worse records than the Pistons, they were 4-2 in the first quarter. I do agree that Amir has a positive defensive impact on games though.
    You know what you say is true. Back then an even into last year his performance against the elite players in the league was average at best. I think that this can be explained by two things. Lack of experience and lack of strength. However, he has gotten better against better players. The improvement was clear last season between his performance in the second half of the season after the all-star game vs his performance in the before the all-star break.

He still has a way to go, however I have no doubt that if he can control his foul problem down to a reasonable level that he will be able to be a very good starter in the NBA some day.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

I think that Amir vs. Darko is a better comparison than Amir vs. Gooden.

Darko:

21.4 Minutes
      6.7 PPG
      4.7 RPG
      1.5 AST
      0.7 STL
      1.1 BLK
      .536 FG%

Amir:

17.7 MPG
      6.2 PPG
      4.8 RPG
      0.6 APG
      0.5 STL
      0.8 BLK
      .623 FG%

Darko got what, 4 yrs, $20 mil? I could certainly live with something in that ballpark for Amir.

Comment

I don`t think how Gooden is paid will affect how Amir will be played in my opinion. It comes down to whether Amir loves to play in Toronto coupled with the fact, he will likely be the starting center next season as we have to give consistent minutes to alabi and davis but bring them along slowly.

Comment

Liston wrote: View Post
          It's 100% relevant - buying a player out doesn't affect the cap space. By obtaining Evans, you're saving >$3 million over 3 seasons and *potentially* were getting a better fit for the team (if he wasn't injured). You could not have gotten a player making less money as per the trade rules. You *may* have received a player(s) with a shorter contract, but it was unlikely any team would give that up to obtain Kapono.

Paying Kapono big money for a lot of years was BC's mistake. Trading for Evans was not - at worst it was net neutral.

A long term deal with Gooden will not look good in a year or two. Just like Kapono. Just like Turkoglu.
          Buying a player out does affect cap space as in the cba agreement as the bought-out amount(instead of the contract amount) is distributed over the remaining years with 8.5% or 12.5% raises. If buying-out contracts did not count against cap space, BC would have bought out Jose and Turk, essentially hitting the reset button which BC hopes he has by his side now.lol.

Comment

amir is worth around 3-4 million a year for 3-4 years.............good contract amount and length for him i would say

Comment

blaze89 wrote: View Post
              amir is worth around 3-4 million a year for 3-4 years.............good contract amount and length for him i would say
              Amir is worth , 6.8 million for 5 years, apparently.

Comment

1) The sample size of games in which he "consistently played >25 minutes" is too small.
                Agreed - difficult to say, since he played behind our best player and was rarely going to see many min. This year he should be able to see 25+ min a game.
                2) 4.4 fouls per game is already on the wrong side of the high end. If you look at the highest avg fouls per game for the last 5 seasons, there were two cases of 4.0 (one being an injured Oden) and usually it was a bit less. It's the same as why you wouldn't say Amir could potentially average ~36.7 minutes a game with 5.9 fouls per game. It would be possible if he always obtained the 4th, 5th or 6th fouls after the same minutes played every game, but because they sometimes come after only 10 minutes, he can't make up the difference by simply playing more minutes the next game. Of course, this is a lot more evident as a sub with a lower ceiling on minutes per game; as a starter I could see him averaging 25 minutes a game, but how will it affect his defense over the course of a season?
                For sure. I still think he gets 25+ min usually. He's 23 and hopefully will make improvements under English, Carlesimo, etc's guidance.
                http://twitter.com/Liston

Comment

smushmush wrote: View Post
                  Buying a player out does affect cap space as in the cba agreement as the bought-out amount(instead of the contract amount) is distributed over the remaining years with 8.5% or 12.5% raises. If buying-out contracts did not count against cap space, BC would have bought out Jose and Turk, essentially hitting the reset button which BC hopes he has by his side now.lol.
                  Liston obviously meant buying out the player doesn't wipe them from the cap, and not the opposite case that you inferred. The context was why we didn't just buyout Kapono or Evans (because the savings -- as you explained -- would be minimal). You have to take what he said along with the notion that the player would not agree to a buyout for much less money than what they are due (see Mourning, Marbury, etc.) without a specific clause in their contract that specifies a buyout rate.
                  Last edited by Quixotic; Thu Jul 1, 2010, 11:01 PM.

Comment

Liston wrote: View Post
                    Agreed - difficult to say, since he played behind our best player and was rarely going to see many min. This year he should be able to see 25+ min a game.

For sure. I still think he gets 25+ min usually. He's 23 and hopefully will make improvements under English, Carlesimo, etc's guidance.
                    We can all hope. ~$7 mil a year is a pretty hefty price (considering the potential financial landscape under the new CBA) to promise someone who can only average 23 minutes a game.

Comment

We can all hope. ~$7 mil a year is a pretty hefty price (considering the potential financial landscape under the new CBA) to promise someone who can only average 23 minutes a game.
                      And this is what he got BC is the worst nightmare for this Raptor team.
                      Time to Say goodbye to this loser and get ourself a real GM who can actually negotiate a deal better than a Carrot.

Comment

Drew Gooden is a defensive liability. That negates a lot of his positive contributions with his scoring and rebounding.

That is the main difference between Amir Johnson and Drew Gooden and why Amir is the superior player.
                        nbaroundtable

Comment

Working...
                        X